Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:49:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

UFS - Grand Rapids

Started by River Rat, January 15, 2010, 05:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

River Rat

Where is everyone staying (that is not obviously local) while over in GR?  I'm debating between "downtown" and within walking distance or saving a few $$ and staying further out.  That, of course, leads to how much $$ is really saved once you account for the gas/driving and parking fees.  I do know I'm not paying $199 per night at the Marriot!

Just curious...
Dearborn, MI and Lake Wales, FL

McCarter

Im staying in a van down by THE RIVER

McCarter himself :-\'

Dan

The one thing Grand Rapids doesn't lack is motels and restaurants. As far as parking goes, there are a number of ramps, one directly across the street from the show, but there is also metered parking in some areas that is only twenty-five cents an hour. If you get there early that metered twenty-five cent parking is on Monroe, which is the street the show entrance is on. That cheap parking is north on Monroe just north of Michigan. If you are at the show entrance and look down Monroe north, Michigan is the traffic light intersecting Monroe. Those meters are just beyond the overpass that you see by the Grand Rapids Press building and they are only on the west side nearest the river.
Staying outside of the downtown area is not a problem. The show is right off the expressway so you can get to it very quickly.
I would be inclined to stay in the Grandville area. Priceline has Residence Inn for $79 and  the Super 8 in Hudsonville for about $55. You could try Hotwire and it may be cheaper. Residence Inn is rated better and is right across the street from Rivertown Mall. It  is within walking distance of the Mall and a bunch of restaurants. The Super 8 is right off the EWay and isn't bad at all. It is not too far from the Rainbow Grill for eats. The Rainbow has some pretty good eats, nothing fancy.  From the Super 8, in Hudsonville, you can be downtown at the show in 10-15 minutes.
There are a bunch of guys that can give you more info. Waterfowl, Cy, etc. are Grand Rapidians, and as it gets closer to March 18th there should be lots of chatter.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

mikesmiph

I was looking at the new Holiday Inn downtown. I get priority points

Eric

The last 2 years there has been a lot a few blocks west of the expressway that has been free, but also they have had shuttle buses continuously looping form the lot to the show.  I can't remember the street and I'm sure my slightly redneck hillbilly country directions won't be as good as some of the citydwellers, so I'll leave that up to them.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

Waterfoul

You can park a few blocks north of Devos Place on Monroe... right by the river.  You can then walk along the banks all the way to the Devos.  Kind of a decent walk especially if you've not been here before.  Sidewalk all the way.

As for Hotels... the ones mentioned are decent places for sure.  You might also try the Radison on Ann St.  No idea what their prices are... I live here!  LOL!!  There is also a hotel at the West River ave. exit right across the street from the baseball park... not sure what chain... it's another easy commute.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

thedude

free lot with the shuttle (also free) is off of Seward Ave, North of Bridge St (Lake Mi. Ave). Its by the YMCA.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

LipRip

Quote from: McCarter on January 15, 2010, 05:26:15 PM
Im staying in a van down by THE RIVER

I'd like you to meet Matt Foley, brians alter ego!

Waterfoul

I already told McCarter this but you can all take advantage:

The houses on either side of mine have been forclosed.  Simply let yourselves in... start a nice fire in the middle of the living room... and party like it's not your house!

Issue solved.  You're welcome.   ;)
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

mikesmiph

And, we can run next door and use the shower, right?

Waterfoul

Well, there's a small lake across the street.  I'd be willing to drill a bunch of 8" holes for you guys to wash up in because that's the kind of friend I am.  Always willing to help a friend out.

:D

bigjc

Quote from: thedude on January 16, 2010, 09:57:37 AM
free lot with the shuttle (also free) is off of Seward Ave, North of Bridge St (Lake Mi. Ave). Its by the YMCA.

You have room for at least a half dozen of us don't ya????

dartag

Take the steelhead gear.  been over there a couple times in the last 2 weeks and have stopped at the 6th street dam and watched the guys fishing the river.  sure looks cold but have seen a few guys hook up with some silver fish. 

macbass

well the rumor that was going around the west side was that waterfoul was going to start a bed and breakfast...so for 10 dollars a night you can stay at waterfouls and he will get up early and fix you all breakfast and send you all on your way to the show...and all this before he goes to work...thanks mike LMAO....

IF ITS NOT A CAT ITS A DOG: BASSCAT PERFORMANCE BOATS www.thedropshotdenny.com www.hookednhunted.com

thedude

Quote from: bigjc on January 18, 2010, 01:22:18 AM
Quote from: thedude on January 16, 2010, 09:57:37 AM

You have room for at least a half dozen of us don't ya????

i guess that depends on if you want a bed or a cold concrete floor to sleep on? :)
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

McCarter

i can sleep standing up. 

Skulley

If my son and I go, it will just be for the day.  Not planning on staying in GR. 

BD       ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Mike S.

You can park at the ramps across the street for 5 or 6 bucks.  And, there are plenty of motels to stay in in that area.  Me, I'm sleeping at home, 30 minutes from GR.

ROI Outdoors

If anyone doesn't mind driving 20 minutes there are few Amish Heated Ice Shanty's on the lake behind my house.  Ammenities include 2-3 inch gills and snowmobiles going by you at 70 mph.  Please see the Campau-Kettle Lake Lodging site @ www.worstlakeinmichigan.com for availablity.

Luke A. Winstrom - Founder/President
Return On Investment Outdoors
luke.winstrom@roioutdoors.com
Direct Line - (616) 366-1395
Visit us Online @ www.roioutdoors.com