Here She Is...The Bloody Thumb Bait

Started by Cheetam, February 08, 2009, 06:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheetam

Well, here is the bait that sent me to the ER last week.  My first handmade bait: Balsa body, circuit board lip, through wire tie/hangers, single glass rattle, and tungsten ballast.  I learned a lot on this one (especially with the through-wire and what not to do with a knife).  If I ever get the nerve to try making one again, at least I now know what NOT to do... :D

Jeff

matt

dartag

Bet there is a Big ole pike on Kent reading this.  He will be licking his chops waiting.  I think Pike have the internet??

That is really a Bleeding Bait.  To bad the name is already taken.

ss

BryanP

Is that one of Jann's balsa bodies?  I just bought a few to make some medium runners.  How did you cut the bill slot so it's not crooked?  Also, what did you seal the bait with before painting? 

Thanks.

Cheetam

Quote from: BryanP on February 10, 2009, 11:00:17 AM
Is that one of Jann's balsa bodies?  I just bought a few to make some medium runners.  How did you cut the bill slot so it's not crooked?  Also, what did you seal the bait with before painting? 

Thanks.
Yep, that is the Diver 4 body from Janns with some minor modifications I did to it.  I cut the bill slot with a coping saw.  I lightly clamped the body in a bench vise and made the cut parallel to the edge of the vise.  I wouldn't worry too much if the lip is a degree or two off.  I have actually heard and read where some guys deliberately cut a lip slot so it is 1 to 2 degrees off (besides, you should be able to tune it if it runs really crazy).  They think it gives the bait a wider, more erradic action.  That being said, I tried to get mine as strait as possible. :D  Since it is my first, I didn't pay too much attention to lip angles, I only eyeballed it against some of the other cranks I have that run 3-5 feet.  I sealed the bait with Minwax Polycrylic. Supposedly, it "resists damage from abrasion, scuffing, chipping, water, alcohol and other common household chemicals."  We'll see.  I dipped the bait 4 or five times until I felt like it was sealed pretty well (i did this with the wire installed).  I then knocked the gloss off of the bait using 0000 steal wool , wiped it down with denatured alcohol and then primed and painted as usual.  I hope this helps.  BTW, post some pics when you are done.  I'd like to see how they turn out. 
Jeff

BryanP

Thanks.  I just acquired an airbrush mainly to do repaints, but figured I'd try some of my own balsa baits too.  I used a razor blade and eyeballed it when I cut the slot for the bill! LOL!  Looks ok for now.  We'll see how it turns out.  I still need to get some lure weights and play with that before I even think about painting.  I've never done any airbrushing so I'm sure there's going to be a learning curve.

Cheetam

Quote from: BryanP on February 10, 2009, 05:22:41 PM
Thanks.  I just acquired an airbrush mainly to do repaints, but figured I'd try some of my own balsa baits too.  I used a razor blade and eyeballed it when I cut the slot for the bill! LOL!  Looks ok for now.  We'll see how it turns out.  I still need to get some lure weights and play with that before I even think about painting.  I've never done any airbrushing so I'm sure there's going to be a learning curve.
You probably already have lure weights laying around.  I used a 1/4 oz tungsten bullet sinker for my weight...lol.  The painting is pretty easy.  It's like anything else, the more time you put into it, the better you'll get.  It's gets pretty addictive.  After making this bait, I'm now getting the itch to make more.
Jeff

AMAST77

This Airbrushing looks like fun. Are there any pre fabricated, high end style balsa blanks available. I found tons of plastic knock off baits but no balsa.

Cheetam

Quote from: AMAST77 on February 25, 2009, 07:34:17 PM
This Airbrushing looks like fun. Are there any pre fabricated, high end style balsa blanks available. I found tons of plastic knock off baits but no balsa.
I haven't found any mass produced, pre-made balsa baits, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.  I have heard of guys contacting custom crankbait makers and buying their baits unpainted, which may be an option.   I have found "kits" that come with a body, lip and belly weight, but you have to buy your own hook hangers, line tie, hooks, etc and then assemble it yourself.  Hey, maybe China will read this and start a production line somewhere  :D
Jeff

BryanP

AMAST77, Jann's carries balsa blanks and all the hardware, as does Lurecraft/Poor Boys. 

JCheetam, clean out your inbox! PM's are full!  I stopped by Lurecraft the other day and picked up some belly weights.  Also they have polycarbonate lips and some bodies with the lip slot pre-cut.  If you're going to Outdoorama, stop by the 333 Tournament Trail booth.  I'll be in working the Cannon/Humminbird trailer today(thurs) and Friday.

Cheetam

I've never been good at cleaning house  :D.  Thanks.  What size belly weights did they have and how much per?  I've never seen them on the website.  I don't know if I'll be swinging by the show or not.  If I do I'll stop by.
Jeff