Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:30:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Makin a split grip, ran into a snag

Started by McCarter, November 05, 2008, 12:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McCarter

I am in the process of trying to turn a Shimano Clarus casting rod into a split grip so i can better fit in with all my buddys who have the fancy new style rods. 

If anyone is familiar with the Clarus line, you know that it has a large rubber piece on the butt end of the rod below the cork.  I thought this was a solid piece of rubber that was glued to the blank so i went to town on grinding it down and rounding it out.  well, i found out that it is actually 2 pieces.  A rubber sleeve that is glued to the blank, and a rubber cap that is glued to the sleeve.  I ground the cap right out with a dewalt hand grinder.  I didnt hit the blank at all.  There is a large hunk of glue that you can see in the picture.

My two questions are:

1)  How can i get rid of the giant hunk of dry glue?  Its hard as a nail and i dont want to grind it down for fear of damaging the blank.

2)  Any suggestions of what i could use to cap the end off when i am finished.  I dont want to remove all the cork and cap and re-cork it all. 

Any help would be appreciated.

McCarter himself :-\'

thedude

glue is probably rod epoxy - which is epoxy with some sort of filler in it. Best bet is probably scraping it out with a razor blade or using  dremel. A small round file will take it out as well. Don't be too worried about the blank at the very end - you'd be hard pressed to hurt the integrity of the rod.
If you can apply heat that might help loosen it up as well.

To cap it off, best bet would be to use a razor and remove all the foam. get a new cap
http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/EVA/EVA-Foam-Butt-Caps

try to make it fit. a small amount of 5 minute epoxy would be sufficient to hold it in place

you might want to try customtackle.com - call them cuz they might have the same thing and they will ship it usps for actual cost. no sense in paying 7$ to ship a 95c cap.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Bender

I like the tapered ones that they have:

Is the EVA lighter than cork?
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

dartag

try rubbing some HOOTERS wing grease on it. 

thedude

regular cork is probably lighter than eva. the rubberized cork commonly used on butts is probably heavier however.
Palehorse Custom Rods

BryanP

Jann's Netcraft has a number of different butt caps--rubberized cork, foam, or rubber/vinyl that will work great.  I'd just use a razor blade to cut the sleeve that's remaining and peel it away.  All that eopxy is from is when they glued on the cap.  And it'll easily come off when you get the rest of the sleeve off.

Bender

I'm bored since I took a day off of fishing and have been thinking about the split grips, is there a reason not to remove the foregrip on casting rods? I always either palm the reel or grab the handle just behind the reel.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

thedude

the foregrip is pointless unless its just personal preference. I know some guys like jig fishing with the butt of the rod in their armpit and the other hand on the foregrip for instance. I personally prefer no foregrip mostly because it allows you to place your index finger directly on the blank while palming the reel... it will cut down the overall weight by a very small amount also.

they are easy to remove (see article). Replacing them would require removing some eyes however.
Palehorse Custom Rods