iPad for Navigation

Started by Revtro, July 07, 2018, 11:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revtro

So I'm gonna try something new.  I'm ordering an ArmorX/Ram mount system.  It's a waterproof and shockproof case for my iPad with a Ram Mount.  I'm kind of a geek, so I'm excited to see the advantages of using this technology on the water.  I can do a lot more with an iPad than I can with any other type of GPS although data might be an issue, but one I think I can overcome. 

I think there are a ton of possibilities especially with the cool Navionics stuff for iPad.  Plus I'll have the camera, access to tons of other software such as weather at my fingertips, Internet, etc.

Just curious, has anyone ever considered this?  With the prices of the newer big screen GPS units, I am looking for a more versatile and inexpensive navigation solution.  I figure I use similar tech in my car all the time, so why not the boat?  Thoughts?
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Hollada

Get an international data plan 👍👍😜😜
Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

BSB

I have done it as an extra screen on the front bow with suction cup Ram mount next to my HB. The Navionics app is a pretty nice add on. Some lakes have better detail than the lakemaster chip and I can look around a lake from home before hand. I have a Wifi only iPad (no Netflix while fishing), so I got a Garmin Glo Bluetooth GPS receiver. Connects easily and accurate. The only downfall can be the sun, can be hard to see the screen sometimes.

djkimmel

So how has the experiment been going? I've used the app on my phone sometimes to have more information in little rowboats. Sucks up my phone battery but there are ways to work around that too.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.