Any suggestions for fishfinder? Lowrance or Garmin?

Started by robertgate, April 26, 2018, 11:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robertgate

I currently have one Lowrance HDS7 Gen3 on the console but I need at least one more fish finder up at the bow. I am still learning the fish finders and I do not mind either of both fishfinder brands but not sure what fish finder and what size to buy. Any suggestions would be helpful.
I've been really happy with my Lowrance. Really I haven't seen any of the common complaints I hear about their units. I can agree with some things on the menu are a little tough to find, but after you find them once either
A) you'll remember where that option is or
B) you'll never have to worry about that setting again. And as far as the sonar goes, if you are running SI/DI and 2d sonar, it's pretty darn tough to miss anything that's down there.
Some reference source I found, there are quite a lot of useful information, hope to help people with the same problem with me:

https://fishfinderbrand.com

mikesmiph

Get the biggest and best you can afford. Whatever you get, you'll want bigger and better once you get used to it. It's always good to stay with the same brand. They all work a little different, and you can get used to both working the same. Also, they may link together, thats always a nice feature. Personally, I don't think much of side imaging at the bow, but down is nice.

FrickerDude

if you have a Lowrance Gen 3 at the dash, I would suggest getting another Gen 3 or even find a used gen 2 touch.  That way you can connect them via ethernet cable and share maps, sonars, and way points.
FrickerDude

robertgate

That's great tips. Thank you everyone for all your helpful replies.