Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:35:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Vacation thoughts

Started by mikesmiph, December 25, 2017, 02:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikesmiph

I'm going to plan a fishing vacation for next year. I have a truck camper and my boat. Looking for some ideas on where I should go. I don't really want to drive more than a day. What time of year? I'd love to get into some big bass. I'm thinking a week vacation. Fill me up with your thoughts please.

dartag

Northern Michigan Last week of May or First week in June.  So many lakes up there with Smallmouth bedding.  Hubbard, Long, Grand, Burt, Mullet, Elk, Skegemog.   You could fish a different lake every day. 

mikesmiph

Burt/ Mullett sounds like an idea. Are they usually on their beds by then? I'm going to need a lot of advice. I've never fished either of these lakes. Still open to other possibilities.

dartag

With Burt  / Mullet there are 2 Big Tournaments there the first week in June. They are usually Bed Events.   Guess it depends on the spring weather.   

djkimmel

Yes... you could be hitting them just going on, or maybe even still a bunch of prespawn. But there are many choices of interesting lakes up there. I like Tomahawk Creek Flooding for a bunch of not-big largemouths but fishing in lots and lots and lots of wood! Not too many lakes in Michigan with the amount of wood that lake has. You have to be REAL careful out there - I don't hardly run around anywhere there - I just go fishing. Many smaller lakes that are good for both bass too.

Then, there's the call of the near-south maybe? You really have to hit the lakes just right from Southern Kentucky-Tennessee down into Alabama if you really want an adventure. Maybe Santee-Cooper too? I don't know - so many lakes. I miss fishing some of those waters though it really is hard to leave what we have here.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

detroit1

Lake Cumberland in Ky. looks interesting...no shoreline houses or businesses. That would seem very odd....
WAVE THERAPY

fishstick

Northern Michigan in the spring for sure! Lot's of variety in sizes so you'll have a place to hide if the wind blows.

Another idea would be all the drowned river mouth lakes on the west side if you wanted a great opportunity at big green and brown bass. Whitehall would be good place for that with White Lake right there and Pentwater and Muskegon not far away. I would definitely go in the springtime for that too.

djkimmel

I haven't been to Cumberland in a while... but I found it to fish fairly tough and it is big...

plus... I kind of sent my outboard cowling to the moon on that lake AND almost got Cuisinarted by my own prop when my big ole outboard landed on my back deck... LOTS of floating trees to find the hard way at times on that lake!!! Not sure I will go back...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

mikesmiph

Well, this year has been decided. Thank you everyone for your input. I will be at Aloha State Park on Mullett lake from the 26th of May, till the 3rd of June. I can't wait to try out these 2 lakes I hear so much about. If anyone wants to come up for a day and fish, let me know. My dance card is pretty open.

djkimmel

Look for big rocks. Big rocks = Big smallies! (Don't forget satellite images... hint... hint.)