Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:31:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Public Meeting on Portage Chain 5-Year Aquatic Plant Treatment Plan

Started by djkimmel, March 12, 2017, 04:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

djkimmel

Washtenaw County Board of Public Works
Notice of public hearing on the desirability of implementing a Washtenaw County Lake Improvement Project and the establishment of special assessment district; Notice date: March 3, 2017

To all the record owners of any lands within the special assessment district described below and all other interested parties: notice is hereby given that the Washtenaw County Board of Public Works will meet beginning at 7:00 p.m., Local Time, on Wednesday, March 15, 2017, at the Hamburg Township Hall located at 10405 Merrill Road, Whitmore Lake, Michigan, 48189. and during such meeting will conduct a public hearing to hear objections to a proposed Lake Improvement Project for Little Portage, Portage, Base Line, Whitewood, Gallagher, Tamarack, Long, Loon, Zukey and Strawberry Lakes in Webster and Dexter Townships in Washtenaw County and in Putnam and Hamburg Townships in Livingston County, the cost thereof and the special assessment district.

Public Meeting Notice Announcement:
http://www.pbwoa.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/USEME_BPW-Notice-Chain-of-Lakes-lst-PH-2017-another-version-to-consider.pdf (PDF)

From the Portage, Base & Whitewood Owners Association website:

PBWOA Lakes Aquatic Vegetation Management Recommendations & Lakes Health Study, Livingston and Washtenaw Counties, Michigan, September, 2015 (over 100 pages, but good table of contents, done by Restorative Lake Sciences - a weed control company):
http://www.pbwoa.org/2015-weed-report/

Related: A Proposed Plant Community Management Strategy for:
The Huron River Chain of Lakes Livingston and Washtenaw Counties, MI, 2017 (the Washtenaw County related plan):
http://www.pbwoa.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/ChainofLakes2016MgtPlan.pdf (PDF)

This is not as aggressive a plan as I've seen from other companies on other lakes but I again, I do not see anything in any of these documents about anyone doing work to help native plants maybe replace the 'invasive' plants they will kill?

This could have an impact on cover for bass and other fishing. I also wonder how they plan on removing Starry Stonewort completely maybe since I have been told that chemical treatment alone doesn't usually work for it. There is a vague mention in the study of follow-up hand removal but I did not see anything more specific about that as far as where, for what, etc.?

There's some interesting information about all the lakes in the Portage Chain in this information too that anyone might find interesting.

In addition, I was intrigued to actually see a reference in the Washtenaw County plan (PDF) about how improper treatment practices can actually HELP Starry Stonewort takeover a lake!?! Something some of us have been pointing out lately to anyone who will listen.

"Tamarack Lake
Starry stonewort has been a very significant nuisance in Tamarack Lake for many years where it now dominates the plant community. Ebrid milfoil is also present in the lake; however, it appears that the misapplication of certain management strategies has resulted in "selective pressures" that have resulted in the total domination of the lake by starry stonewort. Several targeted and selective management interventions will be required each year to begin to move this lake to a more stabile conditions where there is higher plant community biodiversity."

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

I won't be able to make this meeting but maybe some of you who fish the Portage Chain (Pinckney, Michigan) want to attend? Maybe you want to ask about their plans to help restore replacement coverage (habitat) by native aquatic plants, what they expect at least in this area once they have removed the invasives, particularly the Eurasian Watermilfoil which is used by bass in a number of areas as cover.

If natives plants don't grow back in these areas to replace the areas covered by the hybrid milfoil it could mean a loss of habitat, and a negative impact on fishing.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

Has there ever been a plan on lakes to replace weeds that are killed in lakes.  I see the spray boats all summer.  By August most lakes look like a moonscape.  Be interesting to hear property owners if they were told weeds would be planted in there lakes.

djkimmel

t-bone

I have a friend and member of our bass club that lives on Portage. He is planning on attending and represent both an owners and bass anglers perspective at the meeting. I'll let you know what he has to say about the meeting.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

djkimmel