Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:56:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Electronics

Started by mikesmiph, July 06, 2017, 04:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikesmiph

The very first thing I need to do for the new boat is upgrade the electronics. Mostly I want GPS and maps. I don't have unlimited funds at this time. I'm pretty well set on the Matrix 5 with GPS and DI. I used to have SI and never really used it. Any reasons why or why not? Any other suggestions? I've always been a H-Bird guy. Think I'm too old to learn new tricks, so I'll most likely stick with that brand. Thanks guys.

dartag

HB Helix 7 with DI.    I have side imaging and really only use it to find stuff on the bottom of the lake.  Not sure I have ever seen a bass.   
https://www.humminbird.com/productCategory.aspx?id=7117

fishstick

Helix 7 would be a great option for you, if you ever want networking capabilities get a G2N. I would really encourage SI if you are going to be fishing unfamiliar waters ever or really want to get into your electronics. I can gather way more information (and way faster) with SI than either 2d or DI. SI reveals all the little turns in the weeds and on the contours. All depends on if you want to spend the time to use it, if you just want to go out and enjoy time on the water fishing it probably isn't necessary. Good luck!

LAPORTE

Mike

I have a Lowrance LCX 27 if you want it... Its older but works fine... GPS with sonar but no down imaging
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

32eml24

WishingIwasfishing

Quote from: dartag on July 06, 2017, 05:46:42 PM
HB Helix 7 with DI.    I have side imaging and really only use it to find stuff on the bottom of the lake.  Not sure I have ever seen a bass.   
https://www.humminbird.com/productCategory.aspx?id=7117

Quote from: fishstick on July 07, 2017, 08:51:11 AM
Helix 7 would be a great option for you, if you ever want networking capabilities get a G2N. I would really encourage SI if you are going to be fishing unfamiliar waters ever or really want to get into your electronics. I can gather way more information (and way faster) with SI than either 2d or DI. SI reveals all the little turns in the weeds and on the contours. All depends on if you want to spend the time to use it, if you just want to go out and enjoy time on the water fishing it probably isn't necessary. Good luck!

I agree 100% with the 2 above post.

I just upgraded my boat with the helix 7(bow) and 10 on the counsel. They are amazing!! I am still learning all the possibilities(I have them linked to my Ulterra). Couldn't recommend them enough!!

thedude

Unless you get the mega imaging, i don't think HBs are worth it -especially the smaller screens. Most notably, there is a ton of wasted space and i find them annoying to look at. I think the lowrance units do a better job all around - aesthetically and functionally. The SI/DI is better (with exception of mega imaging).

i went HB to lowrance a few years ago and the only reason i would consider going back would be to get mega - which i'm sure lowrance will copy in the next year anyway.  just my 2 cents.

Not by any means saying HBs are junk or anything, i think you'd have a hard time buying any graph that isn't beyond adequate these days. I stare at mine a lot and just feel lowrance are the best deal going.

FWIW - i've run HDS gen2s - 10, and 7,9,12 touches on my boat. I think the 7" gen 2 touch is one of the best all around graphs out there - even compared to the new stuff.  Excellent picture quality, fast and has all the "premium" features you don't get in some of the lower models - you can get them very reasonably also.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods