Bass Clubs > The Bass Boys Club Board

Time for 2008 Bass Boys TBF Dues

(1/5) > >>

var addthis_config = {"data_track_clickback":true}; It's that time again - 2008 Bass Boys TBF dues are due.

If you pay your membership on or before December 21, 2007, 2008 dues total $30.00 for TBF of Michigan and TBF Inc (national).

Pay after December 21, 2007 and regular 2008 dues apply at $40.00 for the year.

Once again, if you want to pay online, I have an option for you to do so for an additional $2 handling fee (about what PayPal charges me).

Go to for more information and/or to pay your dues online.

Contact me with any questions. 2008 state championship dates and location are not set yet, but probably up north May 31 or June 1, 2008.

Also, we are hosting the 2008 TBF Northern Divisional Championship right here in great old Michigan - Sep 10 - 12, 2008 on Lake St. Clair (US waters only due to passport requirements).

Team houston:
Who is making these decisions?  I think we all know you do not need a passport if you don't go ashore or anchor in Canada. I have not heard any restrictions on the BFL's so if they can do it, why can't the TBF????

TBF of Michigan is the HOST to 6 or probably 7 other states. The other state federations have made it clear their anglers do not want to have to go through the definite inconvenience and expense of getting a passport for one event.

This not the same as the BFL where people are fishing a circuit in a common region and understand what is needed to fish in that region. This is a more valid consideration that we debated for over an hour at the board meeting. Based on what we are being told by the US government, if you CROSS the US / Canada border by water next year, you must be prepared to show a valid passport upon crossing back into the US. It is not 100% certain at this time, but more certain than not and we can get no estimate on when a final determination will be made or what they determination might be.

We do NOT know what the heck the US government is going to do in the end.

We DO know at this time the plan is to require a US passport if you CROSS the border by water not whether you land in Canada or not, in the eyes of the US government, you have crossed the border.

We can NOT get a clear answer on the specifics as to expectations for this regulation other than if you CROSS the border, you need to be prepared with a passport to CROSS back into the US.

We HAVE to have a decision to TBF Inc in early January to allow time for printing and disbursement of participation apps and there are no expected changes to be announced or clarified in that short time.

It is not reasonable to expect guests from other states to spend $120 to $140 and the time to get a passport which we would HAVE to require at the time the applications need to go out based on what we know now from available information from the US government - similar to letters other tournament organizations are getting from various branches of the government in various border locations.

We do NOT have the luxury of ignoring this planned requirement. Our options at this time are to either REQUIRE a passport for every participant or have the tournament on US waters only.

If we open all waters, every participant will be out of the pocket $200 to $240 dollars for requirements/licenses and the complications and time to get a passport. That is unreasonable.

There is a simpler alternative that still provides lots of water to fish and will only make those few participants from our area who are used to fishing here unhappy. All I can say is run for the board, and come and have all this fun dealing with all this stuff at our level. It's not as simple as some people want to make it and we don't always have the luxury of 'just doing it.' Unfortunately. Don't expect too many from our region to be happy, but there are more coming from the other states and they'd be a lot less happy to have to get passports.

This is not a big tournament in numbers. There will be plenty of water to fish, especially in September.

BTW, BFL, like most major tournament organizations has general rules that require you to be personally responsible to meet all governmental requirements as I know you are aware. If you get stopped and fined (or worse), all BFL will do is DQ you for that event. They'll just say you're from the area and you know the requirements - your problem.

That works for them fishing local/common regions. It is not the same when you bring in anglers as a host from a larger region and can not afford an incident if there is ANY chance one could happen. BFL leaves it on your neck to have the passport if the requirement stands. We can't do it that way in this case. If we know it is a requirement, we will have to require everyone to have one to avoid any chance of being a bad host state.

From the US Dept of State;
The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.

JANUARY 31, 2008
U.S. and Canadian citizens will need to present either a WHTI-compliant document, or a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, plus proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate. DHS also proposes to begin alternative procedures for U.S. and Canadian children at that time.

At a later date, to be determined, the departments will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have either a U.S. passport; a U.S. passport card; a trusted traveler card such as NEXUS, FAST, or SENTRI; a valid Merchant Mariner Document (MMD) when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or a valid U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders.

The implementation date will be determined based on a number of factors, including the progress of actions undertaken by the Department of Homeland Security to implement the WHTI requirements and the availability of WHTI compliant documents on both sides of the border. DHS and DOS expect the date of full WHTI implementation to be in the summer of 2008. The precise implementation date will be formally announced with at least 60 days notice.

No final news yet on how, what or when exactly is the passport card. Depending on whom you ask within Homeland Security, the full requirement includes if you have crossed the international border and come back into the US, you must have a passport. We have to go by the most strict requirement in our case. I have had parts of the letters read to me that other organizations have received. We are doing what we need to do and in the end, it will be a really nice event that everyone goes away from having a good and positive feeling about because we will have made it safe, fair and low risk for everyone involved.

More detailed explanation of the summary above explained here:

Besides being made aware of the letters other tournament organizations have received, we have had contact with several different US goverment representatives and the resulting advice from the US government is simply, if we want to be sure our participants are legally able to come back ashore next summer/fall after possibly crossing the international border on those border waters, we will need to require a passport.

The full 114 page proposed rule is here if you want to see what this is all about:

We were actually told by one officer that if you ride the Marine City ferry across the river without leaving the ferry to get your license, you may still be required to show a passport when you try to get back off the ferry next summer.

From the rule:
Current Practice - In general, under federal law it is "unlawful for any citizen of the United States to depart from or enter . . . the United States unless he bears a valid United States passport."
However, the statutory passport requirement has been waived in the past for U.S. citizens traveling between the United States and locations within the Western Hemisphere by land or sea, other than from Cuba.

U.S. Citizens Arriving by Sea or Land
Under this proposed rule, most U.S. citizens entering the United States at all sea or land ports-of-entry would be required to have either (I) a U.S. passport; (2) a U.S. passport card; (3) a trusted traveler card (NEXUS, FAST, or SENTRI); 26 (4) a valid MMD when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or (5) a valid U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders or permit.

We are not in the position to ignore any local, state or federal law. The only thing we don't know about this requirement is the exact date this summer that a passport will become required. This is not the same issue as the earlier I-68 form that was strongly recommended by some as a way to streamline any issues or questions if they come about - this is a legal requirement just like needing to have a valid fishing license on your person.


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version