Biology, Conservation, Legislation & Regulations > Bass Biology & Management

spraying lakes to kill weeds

(1/3) > >>

macbass:
var addthis_config = {"data_track_clickback":true}; We as fishermen and fisherwomen are in the middle of a dilema it seems the state is in a financial crunch which we know so they will do anything they can to make a dollar. So it seems the easiest way to do that is for the DEQ to hand out permits to everybody that wants one to spray the lakes to kill weeds. If it was just shore line stuff it wouldnt be that bad but it seems that they have to kill every weed in the lake to make the home owners happy. This seems to be a real stress on the fish in most lakes and it also doesnt seem to bother property owners who want to sit and look out there window at pristine water and dont really enjoy the use of the lake other than senery. There is a way for us as fisher people to stop this or at least draw some attention to this. But to do this we need to unite and be heard as one. There is some one here that will add to this post that has the info we need on who to contact so we can bring this to a head and see if we can slow down the killing of a very viable natural resource like all the fish.

Durand Dan:
I think most of the time the chemicals are distributed in a correct manner. However, the calibration portion of setting up an application is where a lot of the problems arise. There is a pretty simple formula to follow but it hinges an two basic critera. The speed of the application equipment, and the distribution rate. The problems occur when the applicator gets the notion that more is better! The licensing for applicators has become fairly comprehesive over the last 10 years. I believe this registration number has to be posted with the notification that the lake was treated. Follow up on this number and find out who was responsible for the application. Maybe a pattern will delvelop.

Eric:
A pattern has definitely developed up here.  No weeds in any populous lake.  go early in the season and really catch em, and by midsummer the same nice healthy green weeds in that nice clear water have been replaced by bare muck bottoms and off colored water.  And of course, the fishing becomes much more difficult.

I think they were spraying Tamarack lake about every 2 weeks.

djkimmel:
This is issue has to be in our top five of things to get ahold of. One reason why TBF of Michigan was awarded a grant this year of $3,000 to give towards the MDNR stufy of using milfoil weevils to control milfoil over pesticides. More on this soon, but the weevils have been planted in Lake Ovid already for this year courtesy of Enviroscience.

The results so far are promising that this may be a better way to control milfoil without detriment to native plants. We anglers need to become the voice of reason and bring our lakes back to being lakes again, not swimming pools (and muddy ones at that).

macbass:
DJ I think you are right and we need to get this info out to all fisher people so they know what is going on and the more help we get and backing the better things will be in the future. I have collected a folder full of information on this subject and there was a newspaper article in the lakeview paper on this just recently. Think we need to have a greet and meet around lansing this fall and this being the main topic of discussion with all the info collected.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version