Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 05:52:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

GPS Advice

Started by Bender, August 10, 2007, 10:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bender

Well my H2Oc has been shutting down for a while and now it will not stay on for more than 10 seconds. Anyway I need a new one and I need to buy it and install it on Sunday. I am traveling all week and will not have time to do it before the EBA on LSC Saturday.
I would like to stay in the $500-700 range. I don't know if any of these will fit into the same hole as my X125, but that would be ideal and I can move the X125 to the bow. Otherwise I can use the RAM mount for a bigger unit. Any tips on these?
Options: 527c, 522c, 520c, 480m, 5300c, or 7200c.
The catch is I need to be able to buy it Sunday morning and then I can install it that afternoon. I'm right between BPS and Cabelas, about 50 minutes each way so that is no problem.
Currently mine are all on the blue Lowrance network, not that it matters with a GPS only, but if I ever want to network them it might since it is a thru hull transducer and I ain't changin' it.

Here is my current setup:
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Slipkey

Bender,

I would probably recommend the 520c for your setup.  Once you get used to the color sonar, you won't ever want to go back - even in split-screen (I usually make my sonar window about 1/4 the width of the screen and leave 3/4 for GPS).

The downside is that you're going to have to mount a GPS antenna externally.  Flush mounting the 527c or the 522c with their internal GPS is going to cost you line of sight signal and reduce your overall effectiveness and accuracy.  It isn't recommended. The dimensions of the 520c, 527c,522c, and 5300c are all the same and the bolt holes should match your x125 exactly (the 7200c has the larger screen and is going to be too big for flush mounting)

Here are links to diagrams of the 520c and x125:

x125 Dimensions

520c Dimensions

If your x125 has a transducer with the grey or blue connector it will match up fine with the 520c-527c units. 

Good luck and let us know on your decision.

Slipkey

On a side note regarding your H2Oc: 

Do you have a Navionics or other map chip in the unit?  If so, will it stay powered on without the chip in the unit?  If that's the case, you might just need to clean the contacts on the chip. 

When the unit starts to warm up, especially when it's hot like this and it's already warm to start with, sometimes the contacts will expand just enough to hit the bad spot.

A pencil eraser does the trick on cleaning these.   Just a thought.

Bender

Thanks, I do have a Lakemaster chip in there. I will clean the contacts this morning and see how it does. It would be nice not to have to get a new one right now.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Bender

I cleaned them up and it worked for 4 hours today in the heat and sun. My wife thanks you for the advice, now a bigger unit will go on my winter "to do" list and not be an immediate concern. I wouldn't have thought the contacts on the card would have shut it down like that. Thanks!
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Slipkey

Sweet!   I had something similar happen to me one time and, in all fairness, I owe Scott Dobson the same thanks for giving me the info at the time.

It would boot up and as soon as it would try to read the card, it would just turn off.  I don't know why it causes the unit to crash.  Weird.

djkimmel

Now THAT is the kind of advice we all NEED more of!!!! Thank you so much for positive increase to the knowledgebase!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.