Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:49:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Help with motor problem

Started by mikesmiph, November 26, 2018, 08:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikesmiph

WARNING! Long post.
I've had my boat for 2 years now and I've never had any engine issues at all. Boat ran perfect the last time I was out. Launched at Bolles yesterday to go to the hot pond. Tapped the key and it started right up, idled fine. Long ride out of the harbor at idle, ran fine. I got out the the lake, hit the gas and it stalled. Started back up fine. Every time I would try to accelerate, it would bog down. Finally got it to stay running but it would only go 7mph. 50hp Yamaha, normally I get 32 mph out of it. Coming back, same thing. Got back to the launch and it wouldn't idle anymore. Lots of fun getting it back on the trailer.
Question #1: Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? I know ziltch about boat motors.
Question #2: It's put up now. I'm not fishing anymore this year. Should I wait and have it looked at/ fixed towards spring? Or do it now?

Thanks for any help guys

p.s. I guess that wasn't so long. LOL

dartag

I would start by looking at the spark plugs.  If you have a fouled one it will run fine at idle but not get up to speed.   From there check the fuel lines and filter.   Might as well wait until warmer weather so you can get out and test it. 

21XDC

Sounds like water in gas, Clogged fuel filters, kinked fuel line, need new fuel pump diaphrams....
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

fiker

I had an issue with a 25 Johnson. Similar symptoms. 
It turned out it was bad gass.  I had filled up on the way to the lake.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

djkimmel

Write down all the suggestions above and sort them in order of easiest to check to hardest to check and work your way through them. I had a day years ago in a BLF Regional where I thought my old Merc was going to blow. Motor ran terrible for the 1st time ever. Had a long run so I burned off lots of gas that day. Several good anglers suggested water in my gas.

I went to a different gas station that night to fill up and motor ran fine the next day. Ran fine after that as well, so I'm guessing they were right - water in the gas. I went to some local, odd-named gas station at that town in Iowa I was staying in.

Was nerve-wracking because I was sitting in the top ten the first day. Learned who were the real nice anglers as several offered to assist me in some way if I couldn't get back in for some reason - don't remember them all but included Scott Dobson, Todd Koehler and Kevin Vida.

Hopefully, you have something simple you can figure out by ruling out the most likely causes first. The most complicated similar issue I can ever recall someone suffering recurring problems from that several trips to various marine service places didn't solve was a fishing partner who somehow got small pieces of carpet in his gas tank - possibly from the boat maker? Forget who finally figured it out but what a relief... I hope your issue is much simpler and faster to resolve. Just helps to be aware of previous experiences while working your way through the possibilities from easiest to most complex.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.