Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:17:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Hey guess what!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by TheFishinPollock, August 30, 2014, 04:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFishinPollock

Finally had a great day fishing!    27 pounds in 1/2 a hour!!!!!    And then , the new , 37 hour motor, BLEW UP!!!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

motocross269

Great news about the fishing but a bummer about the motor...Thank God for warranties...

Waterfoul

Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

YpsiBass

How the hell did you blow up your brand new motor??

TheFishinPollock

I have no clue how it popped. I set down after a long 4300 rpm run.  Fished , hit the key 30 min later and its making all sorts of grinding noises at the flywheel and internaly.
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Mojo

Quote from: TheFishinPollock on August 30, 2014, 07:19:48 PM
I have no clue how it popped. I set down after a long 4300 rpm run.  Fished , hit the key 30 min later and its making all sorts of grinding noises at the flywheel and internaly.
A

Note : I have never been in this boat ! Other note, what lake were you on ? !!
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

TheFishinPollock

Ok after a few " beverages" and cool off time and a nap, I went out and did some lookin. Seems when you hit the key the starter  slams into the flywheel and sparks shoot off the starter gear. It's wayyyy loose and slides side to side.    The flywheel teeth look to be in good shape but the starter gear teeth are chewed up.

Oh and Mojo. I'm still blaming you cause I am tired of being the one in the boat when everything falls apart ;D  You must have been thinking about me er something.

Oh I was on Elk lake just slamming the snot outa um.
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Mojo

Quote from: TheFishinPollock on August 30, 2014, 08:23:33 PM

Oh and Mojo. I'm still blaming you cause I am tired of being the one in the boat when everything falls apart ;D  You must have been thinking about me er something.

Was an old joke from years ago. Man I feel for you though...... Back to snot and clobbering em.... Why wouldn't we do Elk for a DK Open ?
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Skulley

Quote from: Mojo on August 31, 2014, 03:01:35 AM
Quote from: TheFishinPollock on August 30, 2014, 08:23:33 PM

Was an old joke from years ago. Man I feel for you though...... Back to snot and clobbering em.... Why wouldn't we do Elk for a DK Open ?

And if you remember Mojo, you had gone out with me on LSC and I posted a story how the bad Mojo was gone.   I've never had a problem with my boat because of the "Mojo" jinx.    :o     I'm not superstitious any way.  If anything, Mojo was good luck because I remember slaying them pretty good that day along the LSC south shore.    8)

BD                            ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

YpsiBass

Quote from: Mojo on August 31, 2014, 03:01:35 AMWhy wouldn't we do Elk for a DK Open ?

No one voted for Elk this year.

21XDC

Time to upgrade to a 250 with 115 stickers...  :P
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

TheFishinPollock

Quote from: 21XDC on August 31, 2014, 11:22:32 AM
Time to upgrade to a 250 with 115 stickers...  :P

Do you realize how much transom reinforcement I'd have to do Mike  LOL!.    First time I hammered it the motor would tear off and  putter away like in that Gilligan's island episode.

As for a DK open on Elk.

I am trying to plan a small get together for either the last weekend in sept or the first weekend in october. BobO and I discussed this at the spring open.   I realize it is a long drive for some guys. I might and I stress might be able to get the cottage rental place Ma works at to give up a really good rate on a cabin or 2. They usually sleep 4 to 8 people and it is right on Elk lake up by me in Kewadin harbor.  I will do some checking into that in the next 2 weeks .  I should be able to get a hold of a set of scales for weighing in from a guy in my NBAA division that is also a member on here,but has not been on in a while. 

If some of you's guy's are interested in this give me a message . Unfourtinatly I cannot make the Portage lake run  due to the NBAA state classic on Hubbard .  But Dartag and myself will be representing GLB as best we can on the Hubbard run.
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

TheFishinPollock

As for the motor issue.
  Drove to Frankfort this morning to the marina to see what gives.   The owner was there and doing some mechinical work for the day. Takes off the hood, pokes around and says" hey! one of the starter bolts is about falling out!.   My God did pops and I fell like complete fools. Could have fixed it at home!!!! :-[    But it lead to another issue.  Seems when the starter slams into the flywheel the fuze located inside the cowling ( tiny little thing)   blew out . He hit the key after fixing the starter and it would not run. Just cranked and cranked.    That's when he found the popped fuze. Put a new one in and varoom it starts.    Good thing is it cost us nothing but 20 bucks in gas and 3 hours drive time total to fix it.  Plus he will make out the warrenty paperwork and hopefully Merc will recheck the starter  mounting bolts on other units. Plus if there is ever an issue with the flywheel there is documation that the wear is not "regular" but caused from a previous issue. If there is ever an issue with the flywheel.   
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Waterfoul

See!  Now don't you feel better!  Go fishing.  8)

As for Elk... we had it up there 2 years in a row and the fishing wasn't all that great for most of us.  Though Dan did catch a bedding hawg smallie last time!  In October!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

djkimmel

How many times has someone recommended checking for tight bolts on here? Well, usually motor mounts and jack plates but the advice works for everything. Wouldn't help you with the original problem most likely but it could help you try the less complicated repairs, fixes and checks first!

I've done the same thing a few times, and once in awhile I remember to check the easy stuff first and save myself some money, trips and best of all, stress!

I have always wondered why anyone puts weird little fuses in odd places??

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.