Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:45:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

VHS virus issue gaining momentum in the national press

Started by djkimmel, May 02, 2007, 01:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Different opinions and levels of concern regarding the VHS virus, but the issue is quickly becoming big news all over, and Michigan and the Great Lakes are right in the middle of it:

From ProtectYourWaters.net - Stop Aquatic Hitchikers News:

Archived News:
     - It's Something in the Water

May 01, 2007 -- A foreign virus is killing fish in Lake Ontario by the tens of thousands. Specifically the virus is VHS--viral hemorrhagic septicemia. Federal and state governments are scrambling to slow the virus. Read the full story to get the details.

http://www.protectyourwaters.net/news/display.php?id=5960

----------------------------------------------
     - Ebola-like Virus Killing Fish in Great Lakes

April 30, 2007 -- A deadly Ebola-like virus is killing fish of all types in the Great Lakes, a development some scientists fear could trigger disaster for the USA's freshwater fish.

Because of a lack of genetic resistance to viral hemorrhagic septicemia, fish populations could be damaged in the same way the smallpox virus struck Native Americans and Dutch elm disease decimated elm trees, says Jim Winton, chief of fish health at the U.S. Geological Survey in Seattle. Read the full story to get the details.

"VHS is the most important and dangerous fish virus known worldwide," Winton says. "Its discovery in our fresh water is disturbing and potentially catastrophic."

http://www.protectyourwaters.net/news/display.php?id=5954

----------------------------------------------
Lethal Virus Hits Erie Fish

May 01, 2007 -- Lake Erie anglers and beach dwellers may soon see the local impact of a new virus attacking fish species throughout the Great Lakes' regions.

Kevin Kayle, a fisheries biologist for the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, confirmed that some fish within Lake Erie have tested positive for the viral hemorrhagic septicemia virus, but said the bulk of the fish population will remain unaffected by it. "We're not real worried about it," he said. "It's not like every fish is going to be laid to waste by this disease." Read the full story to get the details.

"A 2006 test for the virus in Lake Erie revealed the disease in species of sheep head and yellow perch, while additional tests taken early this year show that additional species have also been infected."

http://www.protectyourwaters.net/news/display.php?id=5964

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

I just read an article in USA today on Monday about the VHS Virus.  I think it was front page.

While I was waiting in my eye Dr.s office this morning I read an article in National Geographic about the Mismanagement of saltwater fish.  Scary....
Hopefully we can do a better job of controlling what goes on in this country...I think it all comes down to money though.  As long as the Importers have the power and funding that they do it will be hard to regulate the shipping industry.  My hats off to Michigan for having the guts to step forward.