Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:47:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

[NEWS]Dudley on the A-rig: What is the true fire behind the fury?

Started by News, January 29, 2012, 10:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

News

Dudley on the A-rig: What is the true fire behind the fury?

OK guys, it's time to man up and talk about the real fire behind the fury. Why are some "pros" so dead set on banning Alabama Rigs from tournaments? The answer is simple. They are scared. They are scared that somebody else is going to cash the fat checks they've grown accustomed to. And I understand. I'm scared, too. But I'm a pro. I learn new techniques all the time, and I continually work on the old ones to make them more effective. It's what we do as pros.

Source: Dudley on the A-rig: What is the true fire behind the fury?

News from the FLW Tour. Click Source link to read complete story on FLWOutdoors.com.

Frank-o

Wow. Well said. I do not have a problem with the A-rig. I own an HDS with side-imagine. I have 5 baitcasters and 2 spinning reels (no push-buttons). Lots of senkos. Digital maps on my computer and on my chip in the HDS.
I am a fan of technolgy. I LOVE technology. I love trying out new lures and new fishing gear in my quest to catch more bass.
One thing is for sure - Dudley was right when he said an angler needs to know when & where to use the right equipment. Some day, FLW & B.A.S.S. might approve dynamite for use in tournaments. But i guarantee you that i know places on almost every lake in the Irish Hills area that not even dynamite will catch you a bass! That last was just being funny.
But seriously, if you can't embrace technology and all its advances in the fishing industry, then you will either find yourself at the bottom of your tournament standings or fishing in a club with rules similar to Dudley's 'higher standards'.

djkimmel

I feel about the same way over the Alabama Rig. I saw some of the same kind of talk when other 'too deadly' lures or new technology came out. This one just hit everything right to create the perfect storm of anxiety for too many I guess. You should have heard all the old talk about the original plastic worms!! No, I wasn't there but I love history (try to learn and not repeat the same mistakes stuff) and things got hot over that possible end to bass fishing as we know it!

There's a lure that is still deadly to bass this day yet we still have bass...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

robeng53

First, the tournaments allow a Hydrowave, along with electronics (which sometimes I feel takes away from the originality of the sport known as "fishing", long before electronics).  Next, what is more natural than a "school" of baitfish?  AKA, the A-Rig or umbrella rig used for a long time, again way before last years two tournaments that upset some people. 
I have read Yelas and LeFebre take on the subject.  I am of the opinion they both present valid points.  However, I do not believe an A-Rig will be the best suited lure on every body of water, under every circumstance that is encountered on any given day.
Thus, I believe the A-Rig should be allowed and governed by each state.  If a state does not allow multiple "hooks" or "lines" per fisherman, then, perhaps the codes should be revisited as new technology comes available or circumstances change.   Just as in the laws of our land that were written over 200 years ago before the internet and 300+ million citizens. 

1javelin

Going to take the tube my unnamed rods came in, tie some guides to it, run parachute cord through them, and tie it off to a winch.  I'll ask Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers to throw the bait for me every time, like good practice for them.  Sounds like a plan!  I plan on getting in on some of them, a good friend has me convinced.

1jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

djkimmel

I got a kick out of Gerald Swindle saying he threw one and all he caught was a boot and some other piece of debris. I think he said he would still throw it when he could.

It will work really good at time, especially the next few seasons. And other times, other lures will work better or be more efficient. Just a tool.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.