Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:40:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

UMF on Mullet lake

Started by Redbone, November 14, 2011, 10:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redbone

It is nice to see some of the bigger fishing shows/tourneys show what Michigan has to offer.  And with a 4 fish 16lb bag it should be! This is one show for the DVR.

djkimmel

I was very curious how challenging it would be the time of year they fished it - after first week in July. I'm looking forward to see what the rest of the finalists do on Mullett in the following weeks. And then we have the finals also in Michigan! Pretty cool. I wonder how many other anglers saw them up there (not me - I just heard from at least 1 member who saw them fishing).

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Ranger482v

I saw the show pretty cool to love those big michigan smallies ;D

bassdude

what show are you guys referring to and where can I see it?

djkimmel

Ultimate Match Fishing Friday nights on the Outdoor Channel. The finals are in Michigan taped in July and showing the next few weeks.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

Quote from: djkimmel on November 15, 2011, 12:15:34 AM
Ultimate Match Fishing Friday nights on the Outdoor Channel. The finals are in Michigan taped in July and showing the next few weeks.

watched the 2nd show this morning.   should have filmed it in June.  Were all the finals up north.

djkimmel

All the finals in this round were taped in Northern Michigan. They specifically avoided the full spawn to make it more of a challenge to the pros. We know they can catch bass and we know there are plenty of big bass up there. I was looking forward to seeing how they do when they don't have real easy pickings!

Mike S.

I thought that show was a joke.  I mean, come on, why would you break it up into quarters, and then let a guy punk out before the end?  They are fishing.  In a tournament, you can't say, well I'm winning, so the other guys have to quit so they can't beat me.  That show with Horton and Gagliardi made me hate that show.  I thought it was really dumb to let one guy decide to quit and not make them finish to see who would have really won.  Thumbs down.  That was the first and last I will ever see of that show.

Nice lake, though.  I would like to fish it some day.

Redbone

Quote from: mikeszr800 on November 20, 2011, 09:10:55 PM
I thought that show was a joke.  I mean, come on, why would you break it up into quarters, and then let a guy punk out before the end?  They are fishing.  In a tournament, you can't say, well I'm winning, so the other guys have to quit so they can't beat me.  That show with Horton and Gagliardi made me hate that show.  I thought it was really dumb to let one guy decide to quit and not make them finish to see who would have really won.  Thumbs down.  That was the first and last I will ever see of that show.

On the other hand... If Gagliardi did not catch three out of the back of the boat it would have been a different story. If I remember correctly (in the earlier seasons) instead of calling it. The fourth quarter man would just go to the middle of the lake and sit.

Frank-o

'quitting' is just the way the guy who is in control of the boat in the 4th quarter keeps the other competitor from catching any fish. In the past, yes, they would just sit in the middle of the lake or drive around wasting time and precious fuel.
I agree that the term 'quitting' sounds bad, but that's just a way the rules are when two guys split time running the boat.

Mike S.

That just doesn't sit well with me. I would be so mad if I were in that boat. I feel they should finish the day out, regardless of the outcome. But anyhow, I'm sure this is not what you intended for this post.

I was excited to see a show shot here in Michigan. We have beautiful waters, and are very lucky to have them.  So, it is nice when a major television network lets the world see what we have.

1javelin

I thought the rules only allowed fish caught from the front of the boat to count, when you're the one in charge? In that case why would you need to fish a 4th quarter if it's your turn to run the boat and you are already winning? I may not like the format a whole lot, but it's different, and I applaud them for that. Fishing is more than just one way all the time, we need some change in the air to mix it up and make it more interesting.  Just my .02

1jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

HellaBass

thought the gags/horton show was a snoozer, Lane vs Thrift was much more entertaining, hope its good again this week

djkimmel

I haven't watched this one yet. I was rooting for Russ Lane. I'd prefer to see the contest fished completely personally because, for example, I love football games where the whole game changes in the last 2 minutes and the outcome becomes uncertain and exciting!

But it is the way they set it up and like any tournament, the anglers know part of the challenge is picking the quarters and order when you get the flip. It's possible if Russ Lane won the flip, maybe he could still have pulled out the win, but he lost the flip and Thrift did what he had to within the rules.

Under these rules, I would rather they called it than watch them go out in the middle of the lake, that's for sure. Not allowing the 'middle of the lake' tactic though if they make them fish the entire 4 quarters would require more rule changes because I don't see them changing the control by the front deck angler each quarter. I'm fine with that part. It does bring quite a few factors into play!

There's some fun strategy in spot choice and boat positioning - ideally, if you can pick a spot and path that puts the guy on the back deck in 'dead' water most of the time while giving you the best casts and angles, that's pretty rough too!

I'm going to keep watching it when I can, and especially when they are fishing some of my favorite waters!! Even if they highlight some 'secret' spots! ;D

Mike S.

I watched it again, Tom Mann Jr and Scott Suggs.  Much better, they at least got a 5 fish limit each.  When they went to commercial, between the 3rd and 4th period, they played a clip that made it seem like Tom Mann Jr was going to call the match early.  I almost threw the remote through the tv.  Luckily for my tv, I kept my composure, and got to watch the whole show.  He didn't quit early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

djkimmel

I think you need to fishing! ;D

Mike S.

I will be on the lake today by 3:30. Have to get the work day over first.

djkimmel

KLAKE

darn it if I haven't missed them...

Are they online anywhere?

djkimmel

Not online at this time. They eventually put some of the shows on DVD for sale.