Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:09:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Humminbird Decision

Started by StarBoard7, February 17, 2012, 08:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarBoard7

Hello all,

I am currently trying upgrade my electronics.
Here are my choices.

My budget is around $2200.

I was thinking about getting the HB 998c si combo which costs about $2000 and just keeping my Lowrance HDS-5 at the T-motor. ( maybe purcahasing another HB somewhere down the road)

My other option was getting the 898c si combo for the console and the 788ci hd di combo for the t-motor.

i don't have much exp. with any HB units at all.
1 question i do have is that if i decide to go with option 1 will i have any problems with having a HB and lowrance as far as interference and things like that go?
Also if I go with option 2 is it ok to just leave my HD-5 hooked up at the console and hook up the new HB?
Lastly is HB the way to go for SI and DI units........I mostly fish Erie smallmouth.

Thanks for any input guys.

huston

You can't go wrong with those two units and you can connect both together. Do your homework before you buy and install since different installations require accessories such as cables, different transducers, extra transducers etc... and location of transducers.  I was getting interference on HB installation of my 788 on the bow because TM and HB was wired to a control panel on the bow. I had to rewire directly to battery. Still I have a lot to learn about the units. I t was he__ installing one of the transducers inside the boat in my gas tank, pump area. Customer service is better at HB  too. Running all three units  plus pumps and other gizmos may drain batteries too.

fiker

The 898 SI unit is just fine for the dash area.  I started out with a garmin in dash and the 898 on the ram mount next to it.  I would use the garmin for high speed sonar since the transducer that comes with the 898 won't read at those speeds.  There are advantages and disadvantages to this.  Later I bought a Y cable and another in hull puck for the unit.  Now I just use the HB and never turn on the Garmin. 

I don't have experience with the Lowrance HD units. 

I do have the 788 HB on the bow.  One reason I did was so that it could be interlinked together with the dash unit.  This feature is nice. 

I can tool around with the big motor using SI to locate structure.  When I see something worth noting I can mark the way point.  Later, I can turn off the gas, get on the tm and the way point will be on that screen as well. 

It's been a couple of years but it seems to me like I did all that I did for about what your budget is.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

1javelin

The 898 is a wonderful unit, and with what you save going with that you can get a nice DI unit for up front also.  You really don't need the SI up front anyways.  I have a pm for you.

1jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

LennyB

I have the 998 and 788 units and love them. I would call Humminbird and ask if the have any refurbished units available. They generally come packaged like new and you won't no any difference, and are about 75% of retail cost.