Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:46:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Fishing on Table Rock lake in Missouri

Started by LGMOUTH, February 12, 2012, 10:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LGMOUTH

As some of you know I just got back from fishing at Table Rock lake in Missouri. I fished last Monday through Wednesday with Greg Mangus and Stacey King.

Monday was a very nice day with sunshine, the air temps reaching 50 and the water temps were 47. Stacey lives right by the lake so he gets to fish it all the time. He told us that we would probably only use the Alabama rig. Seems like he is a believer in it.

We started around 11 on Monday. He said he only had about 30 minutes on his motor so we didn't go far. A couple of coves over from where we launched is where we started.

It didn't take long to hook up on the first fish. Greg hooked into a big fish. Hooked on the middle bait he got it up to the boat and I grabbed it. It was a huge 6lb 11oz Largemouth. Now that is a way to start your trip.

Through out the next 6 hours we caught a couple dozen bass. Six of which went over 4 and a couple more over 5. I didn't catch any big ones myself but I did catch two smallmouths which made up for it. I also caught the most and it only took all three days to figure out why.

Tuesday was a completely different day. Cloudy, cool, and calm. Very tough conditions on Table Rock. Today turned out to be my day for quantity and quality. I caught numerous fish over the 4lb mark and one over 5. I also caught about 7lbs on one cast which was pretty cool. We found one cove that was loaded with fish and probably caught a dozen or so out of it. Today we didn't catch as many big ones but still had a great day.

Our last day was Wednesday. It turned out to be partly sunny and cold. The highs were around 36 and a little windy. Although it was going to be tough we decided to head out.

On my very first cast I had one on and it came off. Which by the way happened alot. We were fishing  standing timber and had to use a weedless presentation so we would miss them. Anyway for the next two hours I didn't have another bite. I think Stacey might have caught one or two small ones but nothing else.

We fished for another couple of hours with a fish hear and there. For the last hour or so we decided to head back to the cove where we caught them the day before. It did not disappoint us. Again we caught a dozen or so and missed a few. Nothing big but alot of fun. I again for the third day caught the most fish. We determined that the reason I was catching more fish is that I was using a 7.0 to 1 reel and 15lb test fluorocarbon. I was getting deeper and retrieving faster. Stacey was using 65lb braid and a 6.3 to 1 reel and Greg was using 20lb fluorocarbon and a 5.3 to 1 reel. Stacey was pretty impressed that I didn't break off at all. I guess I'm just that good. LOL

It didn't seem to matter what bait you used since we were all using different swimbaits. You could only use three hooks there so I was using the berkley power bait swimbaits on the three hooks and BassProShops spinnerbait trailer (single tail pearl trailer) for the two teasers. One thing you did have to do there was add weight to the bottom two hooks so they would always be down.

A couple of other things I learned down there was you dont need heavy braid as everyone has been saying, not sure that it would hurt but you dont need it. I think 20lb fluorocarbon will be fine for fishing up here. Another thing I learned was you dont need a heavy flipping rod. I was using a med heavy 7' 10" crankbait rod. It was not hard to cast at all, as a matter of fact I fished out of the middle of the boat alot and would cast overhand and never had a problem. One more thing is our rigs only weighed around 1 to 1 1/2ozs total so you dont need those 3oz versions either. I was using the Custom Kicker Jigs model and it worked great.

I know this report is kind of boring but when you throw an Alabama rig for three days straight it is kind of boring. We did try some other types of lures like a jerkbait and jig. But we didn't even have a bite. If any of you know Stacey he is one of the Kings (no pun intended) of jerkbait fishing. I asked him what we would be using if we didn't have the Alabama rig and he said without even hesitating a jerkbait.

For those of you who are wondering about how well the Alabama rig works, I can just tell you that it flat out catches fish. Stacey told us it is the most amazing thing he has seen his whole career.

When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

customfishn

It sure was nice of Greg to let you get a picture with his fish.  Sounds fun and good job.

Mike S.

Nice, Don. That would have been an awesome time. You've got us all extremely jealous.

Team houston

Jay-MadWags

So I guess you will be throwing an A-Rig all season.  Nice fish!!
Jay-Mad of "Team MadWags"
Jason Madigan

Mike S.

Quote from: Jay-MadWags on February 13, 2012, 09:53:00 PM
So I guess you will be throwing an A-Rig all season.  Nice fish!!

Nope, it's going to be banned from Wednesday nights. Bad enough he catches a fish on every cast, can't have him catching 5 on every cast! Just messing with you Don.

edyer

Great report and pictures Don. I will need to talk to you soon to try and get the important details before we head down to Table Rock at the end of March. If anyone wants to see some pictures of their Alabama Rigs on Facebook I will gladly promote them for you if you would like to be a sponsor of our trip. I hate putting up pictures of fish with an "Un-named Lure". Don, is your seminar at The GR Sport Show going to be on The Alabama Rig? What am I going to do with all those jerk baits you told me to buy?

bsimpson

Great report Don, although I am a bit jealous and want to get out fishing even more now!!!  ;D

Firefighter Jeff

Great report Don.  Good quality pictures also.  I really like the one of your double.  Thanks for the enlightenment on your experience.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to invest  in another rig to specifically throw a A-rig, or if it would be as successful fishing in Michigan.  Seems like the good reports keep coming in.  I may have to prepare to throw one.
   I found your comments very interesting, considering the line and equipment that you were using. 

huston

Excellent report on the the trip and the unanswered questions a few of us may have on the A-Rig.  I purchased two from a connection on GLB and have been wondering when, what, and how about the A-Rig. I only have one Reel with braid and use it for topwater. All my others have 15lb and my newest Curado 51E has 10 lb. Again, great report.

LGMOUTH

Like the rest of us up here I didnt know what to expect as far as the reel, line, and rod. So I just took my heaviest crankbait rod which was a Castaway 7' 10" Med Heavy graphite crankbait rod. Stacey was impressed that I didnt break off with the 15lb around all those trees. Although we did have to get it out of the trees with a lure retreiver pole than he did. But I think up here we dont have to worry about that problem.
When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

TCook

So I take it you plan on adding it to your arsenal Don? I think it will work really well on some of the lakes along the lakeshore.
FISH HARD!!!

LGMOUTH

I think like everything else, it will have its place. So yes I am going to use it when I can.

customfishn

That thing has to be heavy with 5 jerkbaits on it.

djkimmel

Try a castable umbrella rigs (Alabama Rig-like) for only ONLY $11.99* I'll be throwing one this year too!

Red and chartreuse head rigs are also available - http://www.greatlakesbass.com/forum/index.php?topic=11801.0

*Price is subject to change and supplies are limited so order now!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Waterfoul

Or you can get one just like Don used to catch his fish at:

www.kustomkickerjigs.com

They are a GLB sponsor and a local Michigan based company.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

2k JIGS

Thanks Mike... We no longer sell baits on our website. We will have tons of them at the GR Show. They retail for $17.99 and the show deal will be $12.99. If you would like to check them out go to www.landbigfish.com

We have them in 5, 4, and 3 wire.

Redbone

2k, I just purchased one of your rigs yesterday.  I was at RedSky and they were opening the fresh shipment.  I must say.. I was instantly impressed with the looks and quality of your rig.  A+

Great pics and story Don. Thanks for the post.

djkimmel

Very nice looking colors on the Reaper Rig heads! I like the keel shape.

Looks like they have black and blue, houdini - a very nice looking green-pumpkin gold and a super looking white shad. I love white shad on Lake St. Clair in different lures.

Here's a link to all the Kustom Kicker Jigs products now at LandBigFish.com.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.