Tournaments > Bass Tournament Tips, Techniques Talk & Ethics

Fine levied at Northern Open

(1/8) > >>

djkimmel:
var addthis_config = {"data_track_clickback":true}; Fine levied at Northern Open

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Nate Wellman, winner of the Bass Pro Shops Bassmaster Northern Open on Lake Erie last week, has been penalized for rules violations during the tournament.

B.A.S.S. officials today released the following statement:

“Bassmaster Elite Series angler Nate Wellman has been fined and placed on a one-year probation due to violation of B.A.S.S. tournament rule 3(vii), which prohibits ‘suggesting to another competitor that he violate these (B.A.S.S.) rules.’ After an investigation, B.A.S.S. officials found that the outcome of the tournament and the final results were in no way compromised and did not result in changes to the final standings of the Bassmaster Northern Open on Lake Erie. The fine monies will be donated to the Ohio B.A.S.S. Federation Nation to support its conservation efforts.”

Read complete story on Bassmaster.com.

djkimmel:
Let this be some kind of lesson to everyone - boaters NEVER 'joke' about rules violations or bring them up in any way - there is no 'what if' in these cases if we want the sport to be taken seriously and prosper. Non-boaters - you must always take this seriously and report it and any boater who 'jokes' about such a thing should expect that you are going to report it. I will back you up no matter what some people say because there is ZERO room for this kind of behavior and the major, smart circuits know that even if some individuals aren't smart enough or don't have enough scruples to know it!

TCook:
The word on BBC and facebook is Wellman was not joking and seriously tried to buy his coanglers 4#+ fish on day 3 to improve his bag. He supposedly asked 4 times throughout the day and went into detail about moving location to exchange fish and getting the Co 1k from his dad back at the weigh-in. What a boneheaded decision on Nate's part...

djkimmel:
Since I wasn't there I will only go as far as saying he did admit 'joking' about it and that alone is enough to be punished by whatever the rules allow. All boaters should know better. It is a terrible place to put the co-angler in. I know I felt horrible for days after it happened to me. I almost quit tournament fishing because of it and one earlier incident.

bmck25:
I can't believe BASS didn't DQ him. Kind of like BASS knew they had to do something, but didn't want to attract too much attention. A big thumb's up to the co-angler for doing what is right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version