Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:51:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Advice and suggestions appreciated

Started by HardcoreNinja69, April 09, 2011, 02:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HardcoreNinja69

Ok so I have been a member for awhile. I have been pretty quiet so far, just mooching off the information and knowledge of others. Now I am finally upgrading from my 12 flat bottom boat to a real speed boat, giving me much more options. I considered a bass boat, but the g/f quickly vetoed the idea. I really want a multipurpose boat anyway. Something to fish off, pull a tuber, or get a group on to chill on the water. That said, I am still in search mode because I am dead set on getting a "deal" not just getting a boat. I want a 16-19 foot, open bow, with at least 85 HP in good condition. I have some ideas for removable upgrades for my fishing excursitions. I want to create a removable casting deck for the bow of the boat that would be composed of 3/4 inch treated plywood covered with marine carpet cut to the shape of the bow. I would remove the cushions for seating and replace with the deck wood. I also intend on adding a livewell made of a converted cooler. I have done my research on this but I would really like to hear from anyone with experience or suggestions on the set up of this. Anyway, any help or advice anyone would like to share would be great. On a side note, I noticed I have a representative of GreatLakesBass not to far from my place on Mary (dj kimmel himself?)

Anyway thanks alot ahead of time for any and all help.

Hooksetter

You might want to consider a Fish-N-Ski. I had an Astro FS20 with a 200HP Merc while my kids were growing up. We had a ball with that boat. From 1994-1999 we spent just about every summer weekend camping at Bruin Lake so we could be on the water as much as possible.

It came with livewell, TM, Humminbird, rod locker etc. for fishing. It also had under floor storage for ski's, tubes and ropes. Seating for 5 behind the consoles, with an open bow with storage and removable cushions. I made the same removable deck you mentioned for bass fishing.

We added a 4 speaker stereo system to it and it was perfect for us.

It was also very fast [65MPH] with a great hole shot for pulling tubers and skiers.

We also spent many days just cruising and partying with family and friends.

All in all it was a great choice for us until we transitioned to a full fledged bass boat.

Good luck in your search.

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

djkimmel

If you can find a fish-and-ski and convince the g/f (or trick her - whichever works!) you can drive by my house and honk!

I did have a make your own boat for my first boat for a long time with a homemade front deck and a cooler livewell and what I learned is...

no one wants me to help them build such things - that boat eventually sank on Wixom Lake (Guy on shore "hey dude, your tackle box is floating away...") ;D

If you have a lot of skill then you can get away with it. If you are anything like me, try to get as much of it already there as you can.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

FOB

The guys are right on the mark.  Fish and ski is the way to go.  Best of both worlds.

When you get a chance, give me a call and we'll see what we can do.

Ralph Blasey
Wonderland Marine West  734-417-5550

HardcoreNinja69

Unfortunately I am on a tight budget. $1500 top end. I haven't seen a fish and ski in that price range.  I am suppose to test out an 88 maxim on the Grand tomorrow. It only has an 85 HP force on it. I have heard they aren't that great. This boat at last at least looks like it has been taken care of. Original interior is intact. If anyone has an opinion I'm all ears.

Redbone

Personally I would wait till you were ready to spend a little more cash. No sense in buying someone elses problems. Unless you have a little time and money to upgrade it to what you are looking for. Or at least wait till the fall time for a cheaper price.  Good luck either way!

djkimmel

I agree. Look very hard if you have no choice but to buy in that price range. It is much harder to avoid getting a boat that becomes a money pit or worse, a flower box. Patience is tough. I know. I would suggest you talk to at least one or two other boat salesmen about other possible options if nothing more than to just have some comparisons before you pull the trigger.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Hooksetter

I agree with the other guys. You might want to wait until you can spend a little more money. Like Dan said , if you can't wait be very choosy. You might have to wade through a bunch of boats to find one that will be ok.

Good luck in your quest to get out on the water in a safe and reliable boat.

Willie

Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

bassfan586

Definatly wait and save the money.  I fished out of a 14' tracker for 15 years before I bought my current boat.  If anything I think it made me appreciate what I have now and made me a better fisherman.  For what you want to spend, its slim picking to get a reliable ride.  Just my 2 cents.......
Got one!

Lightningboy

OK, I hate to be Capt. Downer here, but I think you need to do a little more planning.

I started out with a 14 foot starcraft aluminum rowboat that I mad maxed with decks, pedestals, etc.  I spent more time fixing and fussing with things on that rig than anything else.  It's a much better idea to start with a good platform, and keep your changes simple.

Considering your budget, you've got several choices:

1-Used fish-n-ski.  Your budget is pretty tight for a glass hull FNS, but if you can find one, it's your best bet.  Since the layout is designed for both your uses, you can spend your time refitting & refurbishing it.  Some elbow grease on the finish, recarpet, good electronics, you can have a very pleasing older rig.

2-Used speed boat.  Find a low priced bowrider.  Forget the raised platform, too unstable.  Keep the changes simple so they don't fail.  Choose a hull that doesn't float too high in the front; high riding hulls get too much "sail effect" and are hard to handle with a TM.  Add a bow mounted TM, bow & dash electronics, pedestal seat on the flat bowrider floor.  Cooler plus aerator for a livewell.  It'll make a passable fishing rig, but you'll never be satisfied with it's performance if fishing is your thing.  GF may be happy if it shines & starts every time.   ;)

3-Used aluminum v hull.  Fits your budget best.  You can find a lot of small used console steer/flat floor 16 foot aluminum rigs that need some TLC.  Especially since the economy is forcing a lot of people to sell their toys.  It'll fish pretty well, and have most of the work done, like a TM, livewell, maybe even some entry level electronics.  GF won't be all that happy since your won't win any medals at the redneck yacht club, but it'll be a more comfortable step up than your present rig for minimum $$.

BTW-about the girl friend.  I've been married (very successfully too I might add) for 25 years now.  She's a good woman who doesn't cut me any slack.  She waited a lot of years to be riding in anything showy.  Her opinion when I asked her about your problem was that most women would be happiest showing up at the ramp with something that didn't look too redneck.  You've gotta decide what fits that equation for you.

Of course, my wife thinks Lightning is pretty hot... 8)

SethV

Like others have said - save a few more $$.  You won't get much for $1500.  When buy used (very used at that price) make sure you get the motor checked out by a good mechanic.  Powerhead rebuilding is 4K and up.  Lower units 1.5k and up.  Not fun to have to pour a bunch of money in something right after you buy it.  Trolling motors, batteries, sonar, gps....you can sink a ton of cash quick fixing up an old boat.

You might be better off making a smaller step - like a 16' tin boat with a 25 - 50 hp.  Way better than your 12' boat, but won't set you back as much $ for something higher quality.

HardcoreNinja69

Thanks to everyone for you suggestions. After alot of thought and consideration I have decided to really try to find a solid running FNS boat. I really don't want to settle on just a better aluminum boat. I am willing to do some work if I get a good enough price but I will need something with a solid running motor. I almost pulled the trigger on that Maxum before I finally soaked it all in and realized how right you all were about getting what I really want. I guess if I can't find anything in my price range (that I bumped up to $2000) I will hold off for now. So if anyone out there knows of a Fish N Ski boat with a solid running motor (preferably over 100HP) please PM me.

HardcoreNinja69

Ok so I located what sounds to me like a good deal. Its a 1991 Bayliner Cobra Fish Ski. It has 150hp outboard on it. 74 lbs thrust quick release TM on it. 19ft. The apolstry could use some recovering but it sounds like a very underpriced boat. Ok here's the kicker, its a 5 hour drive away. The guy was asking $2800 for it and got him down to $2200 on the phone. So i am figuring $2400 with gas. Am I crazy to be considering this? If I made the trip I would probably try to get this guy to meet me at a lake so I could test it out after I looked it over. What do you guys think?

Lightningboy

That sounds pretty interesting.  They have a very unique passenger layout.  According to blue book values, sounds like it's very well priced.

Now for the real advice.  Look hard at everything on the rig and be critical.  You're gonna be all fired up and dreaming of flying down the lake, but you gotta be ready to walk if something is awry.  Here's a list of some things to check:

Hull- any stress cracks near the transom?  Most have some, but be suspicious of any crack that can catch a fingernail slid across it; it might be hiding structural damage.  Chalkiness can be buffed out to a point, but requires some elbow grease and time; that drops the price.

Motor- should start pretty quick.  Smoke after it warms up can be bad news.  Throttle should have some snap to it.  Look for leaks under the cowling.  Look for damage to the L/U.  Look hard at the prop; it's a good sign of how much they babied vs beat on her.

Interior- everything should work.  Carpet can be replaced, as can upholstery.  Snoop in the bilge.  Clean vs filthy tells you a lot about how she was cared for.

Trailer- how's the tires, they ain't cheap now days.  Look hard for rust, unless you can weld and repair yourself.  Everything should seem solid.

Bottom line, don't fall in love at first sight.  Keep a clear head, and don't inherit any problem children.  If it's broken, you're gonna have to pay someone big $$ for marine repairs, or learn to DIY.  They say boats are a hole in the water you throw hundies into for good reason.   ;)

EKennedy

PATIENCE!  I started looking for a boat in the $2000 range and looked for over two years.  Nothing but somebody else's broken equipment. All looked great at first glance...but after several (seemingly promising) test rides...got pretty frustrated.  Finally found a great 1994 Ranger.  And I mean GREAT...and even though I paid 4 times what I originally was budgeted to spend...it was truly the deal of a lifetime.  My wife even agrees!  Point is...don't be afraid to wait till that deal comes along.  Good luck!

bob o

Mike S.

As others have said, buyer beware!  I started with an old 12 foot aluminum boat with a 7.5 horse on it.  I then moved up to an older SeaRay that a guy at work was selling for $800.  It looked so good on the trailer.  Like a dummy, I bought it and took it home with high hopes.  I put it in the water thinking that a guy I work with wouldn't screw me.  Wrong!  I had to have the gimball bearing, shift cable, and all 3 of the bellows replaced.  Then a starter and alternator.  Then the steering cable and trim lines.  And so on and so on.  We got 7 good years out of that boat. 
  Then I found a guy hard up for cash, and I bought a 96 Bass Tracker tournament TX17 with a 40 horse Mariner for $2000.  It had been run in the river, had a few dings in her.  Ran awesome and everything worked.  My family and I enjoyed that boat up until last June, when I upgraded to my Nitro.
  Be very careful when you buy.  I learned that a used boat can be a nightmare.  They are awesome when they run right, and will kill your wallet when they don't.  If you're mechanically inclined, buy a service manual for whatever you get.  They have saved me tons of $.  Make sure you either take a compression gauge along to look at the boat, or you have someone check it out for you.  A weak cylinder will cost you.  Good luck.