Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:24:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

what would you have done?

Started by fowlmouth, June 12, 2006, 11:08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fowlmouth

this past sunday while fishing the Sanford lake open I had two guys come within 15 feet of me, pass me (fishing the whole time) and then proceed to fish the bank I was clearly running right in front of me. The only thing that kept me from coming unglued was the fact that they didn't catch any fish then I pulled a 2 1/2 lb-er out of the hole they just fished. I didn't know if I should have asked their boat number and contacted the tournament director afterward (don't know what good that would have done)

I am sure this situation has presented itself to some of you in the past, just looking for some input on how to handle it in the future.

blakstr1

Rule as listed on our entry flyer..

OFFICIAL CHECK-IN AND FISHING LOCATION:? ?Official check-in will be stated on front of official application.? Contestants must leave and return to official check point by boat.? Both competitors must remain in boat at all times except in case of dire emergency.? Partners must remain together at all times, in sight of each other and each other?s catch, in order for their catch to be scored.? Fishing during the tournament is permitted anywhere except within 50 yards of another competitor?s boat which was first anchored with trolling motor up.? But a competitor may not block a canal or thoroughfare.

that's a tough call, I understand your concerns but that specific issue isan't really addressed but the above rule is suppose to cover.? I think the most important thing is to maintain the 50 yard rule, this gets infringed upon alot at every level.? 15 feet is rediculous, unless you are passing in opposing directions, but if they stopped and started to fish right in front of you, then there is a problem.? glad you caught that fish they didn't...next time please contact anyone from Team Bass if that happens whether during or after the tournament.? have the boat number and make if you can, not exactly sure what we will or can do about it, but it will be brought up, legitimate concerns deserve legitimate attention.? We will discuss this at our board meetings and try to implement a plan if it happens again and we do in fact recieve a complaint.
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

smbassman

Unfortunately, every time you are fishing a bank in a tournament, this will most likely happen.  Even worst is the guys that motor up just in front of you and drop the TM instead of getting in line behind you or work the opposite direction.  As irritating as it is, you just have to put it behind you.  The positive in your case is that they were obviously fishing too fast and left a fish behind.  I believe I would have rubbed that in a little.

djkimmel

I'm sure they would not have liked it if you did to them. I will never understand how people can't handle so simple a concept as 'do unto others as you would have done to you'?

It might fall under some circuit's sportsmanship rules, but it has always been a gray area in bass tournaments. It is definitely a sucky move to do to anyone. I imagine many of us have had that done to us (I know it's happened to me) and worse by those few bozos.

I don't like to argue or fight during tournaments. I don't mind giving a clear look of disapproval, but if they are ignoring it or acting like I have the problem, I may make a slightly louder than normal comment to my co-angler or team partner that apparently, we have somehow become invisible. I won't take it much farther because arguing and fighting on the water it pointless.

I have been asked a rare few times by the other boat what I expect them to do (when they notice I'm less than happy to see them) and I just say, "leave." And I leave it at that. They usually get mad and make a few comments about how 'I'm' not nice, but sometimes they go and sometimes they don't. I just try to fish as best I can despite the action since that's all I can control. It's not always hard to ignore acts like this, but it probably won't be the last time unfortunately.

Since I can control my own behavior, I try hard to set good examples in everything I do and just hope it catches on.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Revtro

I really feel for ya.  I was fishing an NBAA tourney last year and was on a productive weedbed about 30 feet from shore and another boater motored right over the weeds I was fishing and killed the spot.  It was clear that he was just a simpleton from his behavior and the glazed over look on his face, so I didn't bother to argue with the guy because I think it was just simple ignorance on his part.  But I think tournament rules need to address this. There ought to be some sort of rule in place to address fishing within 20 feet of someone or something to that affect.  Not sure how you could enforce it, but then again, how can you enforce the 50 yard rule without a tape measure?  We lost that tourney by a couple of ounces.  We'd have won if we'd caught one more keeper from that spot.  So it cost us.   
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

fishon1219

I simply dont let that kind of thing bother me. There is nothing you can do about it, so there is no reason to get mad. Just take your time and stick to your game plan. If they catch fish ahead of you, no  big deal. There will be more somewere around there. After the tournament is over just go up to them and let them know that you appreciated their competion and look forward to returning the favor on the next tournament.
Nemesis Baits Pro-Staff
www.nemesisbaits.com

dartag

fishon has is right.  just keep fishing and don't let it bother you..   i have turned around and went back the other way since i fish fast any way.  if all else fails try and get a torpedo off e-bay.. you get the rep of sinking guys the will give ya room'

fowlmouth

Checked e-bay, no torpedoes!!! probably too much to buy one from the gov't, wonder if it happens again and I 'em send back to the wegh-in with one of my Lucky Crafts in their arm if they would agree they were too close!

DennisB.

What would it have ment if he wasn't in the tournament? I have come around blind curves on Belleville and swung out and gone around guy's going the oppisite direction just to have them say snide remarks about reporting me to the T director. I said good luck with that, I'm not in your tourny. Its a small lake with alot of pressure, I could see getting upset if you where trying to feed your family but I doubt you would be doing that on Belleville anyways. I have had guys go by me and I will try to see what they are using and change it up a little and see what else works. watched a guy throwing a shakey head one day so I went behind him with  a spinner bait and cuaght a few that he missed anyways.

McCarter

I have had this happen to me.  But i take a little different approach.  If someone gets up in front of me and starts fishing an area that i was clearly working towards, i will simply fire up the big motor and jump right back in front of them.  Try it, its fun and it makes ya feel good, like you have accomplished something.  And sometimes, the guy will motor right back in front of you and start fishing again.  So, just keep it up.......eventually one of you will run out of room and have to go somewhere else.  Just make sure it bothers the other guy who initiated the whole thing more then it bothers you.  People can be rude but try to make the best of it.  If nothing more, have yourself a good laugh at there expense when they get all flustered.

PB himself :-\'

dartag

Quote from: PoorBoy on June 14, 2006, 10:05:54 AM
I have had this happen to me.? But i take a little different approach.? If someone gets up in front of me and starts fishing an area that i was clearly working towards, i will simply fire up the big motor and jump right back in front of them.? Try it, its fun and it makes ya feel good, like you have accomplished something.? And sometimes, the guy will motor right back in front of you and start fishing again.? So, just keep it up.......eventually one of you will run out of room and have to go somewhere else.? Just make sure it bothers the other guy who initiated the whole thing more then it bothers you.? People can be rude but try to make the best of it.? If nothing more, have yourself a good laugh at there expense when they get all flustered.

PB himself :-\'

" Boat Leapfrog "  i like it.  maybe a new sport.   i still like my torpedo idea best..  not sure where to mount the parascope..

Duke

Unfortunate truth is that, oftentimes those guys are so aggressive they are good fishermen. Being a good fisherman demands that you're aggressive and take chances etc. I've found fishing to be a matter of the most aggressive at times (survival of the fittest if you care). However, you still need to sleep at night. I couldn't/won't do this to people, but I make it a point to protect the area I'm fishing: its hard to do that to me  ;D.

Duke
Duke

Mojo

Id pull out my frogger and launch a few right in front of them. If they say anything - tell em you were work that area and move 50 yards away.

If someone is anywhere near casting distance - that is too close. If they persist - you got to inform them they are getting reported. In todays tournies - they HAVE to know better. Money is on it.
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

UpNorthWolf

Would Poleroid/digital photos showing the short distance help get them DQed by the director?

fowlmouth

wouldn't really help; photo won't prove who was there first, especially if they know the TD

1javelin

U can always video like they did Swindle.  I'm sure that would help.

I like the torpedo idea myself, but I think there is a time and a place for confrontation, and on the water during tx time is not it.  When you get back to the launch, confront him in front of the td and ask him why he did that to you.  If it was more than 50 feet in front of you that he pulled up, let it go, because maybe he saw you working towards his honey hole and wanted to pick it for what he could first.  Money is money, and the more on the line the more you'll see things happen.  I read somewhere that some of the pros in the Classic this year were in heated argument between boats right in front of spectators.  How silly.

My advice, walk up to him at the end of the tournament, rack him in the jaw, and ask him if your fist came too close, or if there is not a rule about it?? ;D ;D  :o
Live to fish, Fish to live.