Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:25:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Ohio River, Rocky Point

Started by Duke, June 07, 2006, 11:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke

A while back I was begging you guys for some information on the Ohio River. Unfortunately, very few of you knew anything about it; tells me something about you guys  :D. Anyhow, some of you asked me to post how I did once I got there. I went down there yesterday and fished it getting ready for the BASS Federation Nation State Tournament next weekend.

This was my first trip to this body of water and overall I was happy with the results. I was quite worried about fishing it. First of all, between Rocky Point & Cannelton there is a bait shop called "Bass and More" that is truly a great little store. The owner gave me some good advice and hooked me up with some great baits. If anyone is headed to this stretch of the river, I encourage you to stop by this place. They should sponsor me  ;D.

I never fished mud before; this was the dirtiest water I have ever seen. I mean, if you see a mud puddle sometime soon, that IS what the river looks like. Plus, it stinks! It reeks horrible; you can smell the river 20 miles away. Apparently, that area received 6 inches of rain the previous Thurs/Friday. That amount of rain made the creeks unfishable for the BFL tournament Saturday b/c of the rushing water. It isn't running like that now, there is little current. However, the many locals I spoke with said its still muddier than normal and it shut down the bite. I also learned that running the boat in those creeks is a challenge; this place can be very dangerous. I never planed it out because of all the wood. I caught 6 keepers in 9 hours of fishing that would have weighed about 8#; not bad for a bite that "shut down" and this weight normally places a person towards the leaders in tournaments. Once I figured out a pattern, I targed points and stumps inside creeks. I caught my fish on Bandit 100 series crawdad crankbaits and NetBait craw tubes with a rattle in it rigged on 1/4oz (I never knew of this bait until the man at the tackle shop showed it to me. Great Bait! Anyone else use it?). I noticed the wood with growth on it produced better as well. Overall, a good fishing trip and I can't wait to get back there for my tournament.

Duke
Duke

NEOFISH

Thanks for the report.  Getting five keepers on the Ohio River is a great thing and would place you high in a tournament.  Nothing like Ohio River mud, it's a world of it's own.  When it floods look out.
I don't like to use the world "luck", but I hope you do well!

Duke

Thank you, but I fear I'm going to need some luck! If my pattern holds up, I should do well; but how often do patterns hold up 10 days later on a river? Either way, it'll be a lot of fun... hopefully. Are you familiar w/ this body of water?

Duke
Duke