Main Menu

Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:43:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

west side?

Started by troossien1, March 14, 2011, 02:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troossien1

are there any fishers of men circuts in west michigan? ???
Kistler rods

fasttrack

A few years ago, but I don't believe anymore (unless someone corrects me)
Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

troossien1

It would be nice to get it back some time  :-\'

Kistler rods

djkimmel

Just need to find someone who wants to run one. Not me. I've done tournaments before. I'm retired (other than the forum member tournaments).

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Lightningboy

FOM seems to have a hard time in these parts for a couple of reasons. 

First, the TX director can't compete in their own division.  So you've got to find a director who's willing to just be an official, not fish in their own TX's.  They also must arrange for a place to have the Friday night meeting, and provide dinner at the meeting.  Also, plaques for the winners.  And that has to come out of their end of the money; they get about $10 per boat. 

Second, a lot of guys aren't happy with paying a membership fee, or having to attend the Friday meeting.  Throw in the general fear by some guys over hearing a little of the Good Word.

Unless you've got a fair amount of entries (20+) per TX, it becomes a tough proposition to run a FOM division.  John Carter, the former head of the MI East division worked his tail off for four seasons trying to establish a reliable circuit, but he just couldn't get the participation he needed.

TCook

I was looking to fish FOM a few years back until I found out there was a mandatory meeting or should I say preaching the night before. Fishing and religious beliefs should not be mixed in my opinion, the last thing I want is to hear about the "good word" the night before a tournament. No surprise FOM didn't last over here...
FISH HARD!!!

Lightningboy

In my experience, FOM never tried to beat anyone to death with the good book.  In fact, I'd say the religious message was kinda like cookies at a party; the hostess brings 'em out, anounces they are there, then leaves it up to you if you want some.

Now I'm far from being a prude, as any who knows me will agree.  But what's wrong with a 10 minute inspirational message?  I can understand if you're not a Christian, but I'd have to say as long as you fall under the big tent of Christianity, you're more than welcome at FOM.  Didn't matter that I'm a Catholic, or that the director was a new age Christian, I always felt the message was just about living your daily life by the Good Book.

Besides, as my non-practicing brother-in-law said, "a little reminder to be a good man is a good thing".

I'm rather suprised at your religious obstinance.  Be aware you don't speak for everyone; in fact, you probably don't speak for many.

BTW- the Lord had to be a fisherman.  Who else would have come up with smallies?   ;D

djkimmel

It may not be for everyone, but as in any other circuit, you have to find that dedicated, giving person to build and run the circuit who will find and work for whatever available audience there is out there.

Michigan seems to be all over the place for what bass tournament anglers want to fish. There's definitely no shortage of choices packed into our short season.

I try hard to provide a friendly, mature, sharing place here for just about anyone to try to find what they are looking for, and for organizers to get out the word about what they are offering anglers to try to find the audience that fits what they're offering.

I'll keep trying to build the traffic here so more people can find what they are looking for here. And tournament organizers can try to find their audience, whatever that may be. Often, the people are out there. There just has to be a place where they can find each other. That's my goal.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

TCook

Quote from: Lightningboy on March 15, 2011, 04:06:57 PM
In my experience, FOM never tried to beat anyone to death with the good book.  In fact, I'd say the religious message was kinda like cookies at a party; the hostess brings 'em out, anounces they are there, then leaves it up to you if you want some.

Now I'm far from being a prude, as any who knows me will agree.  But what's wrong with a 10 minute inspirational message?  I can understand if you're not a Christian, but I'd have to say as long as you fall under the big tent of Christianity, you're more than welcome at FOM.  Didn't matter that I'm a Catholic, or that the director was a new age Christian, I always felt the message was just about living your daily life by the Good Book.

Besides, as my non-practicing brother-in-law said, "a little reminder to be a good man is a good thing".

I'm rather suprised at your religious obstinance.  Be aware you don't speak for everyone; in fact, you probably don't speak for many.

BTW- the Lord had to be a fisherman.  Who else would have come up with smallies?   ;D

I am rather surprised you are surprised that there are people in this world that dont buy into your beliefs. I probably dont speak for the majority but I speak for myself and last I checked I do have an opinion. Personally 1 minute of an insperational message I dont want to hear is 1 minute too many so I will never be involved with FOM.

In that case the lord must have created the tsunami too...
FISH HARD!!!

djkimmel

He did not say he is surprised you don't believe. He said he is surprised in your obstinance on the subject. It's obvious to most people that some people believe and some don't. Polls show though that the overwhelming majority of Americans do have some type of belief, which is one reason I have offered the Christian Anglers board on here.

Since there probably aren't too many regular visitors on here that don't already know how you feel about religion TCook, and Lightningboy had a chance to speak his opinion on the subject, which he is equally able to do to a point, I think we have that all covered now. (I do agree with Lightningboy's brother in law - "a little reminder to be a good man is a good thing." Never hurt anyone that I have seen whether it was 1 minute or 10 minutes. Even helped some.)

Lets return to the main topic of this thread, which was asking if there is a west Fishers of Men circuit. That is not a question that I see needs a pointless religious debate.

I think the biggest roadblock most likely is just finding the person who is willing to take the time to organize and build it. We see over and over that being a tournament director can be a thankless job though it shouldn't be. It is a little tougher with Fishers of Men because of the meeting the night, and the extra work to set it up, and their are many competing circuits that don't require that.

BUT, there are circuits that are successful and do require a meeting the night before, such as the BFL. So it it doable. There are also circuits that require a membership and have a meeting the night before such as BFL and the bass federations. Again, doable.

Maybe someone will come along and try again on the West side if they see some interest on here, so if you are someone who would like to see a West FOM circuit, mention it on here. That's what the board is here for.

thedude

I fished FOM in indiana before i moved here and its a pretty successful there. 50+ boats in both divisions (at least years ago it was). I fished it when i moved here as well with BigJC before he took on the East side director role. The west side had a hard time taking off and i'm guessing it was the price. The payouts were good, the regionals were fantastic and nationals are even better.

The really nice thing about FOM is that because of the small size of turnouts you were pretty much guaranteed a spot at regionals. From there, you just had to beat the highest non-qualifying boat from your own division to make nationals. It was a very non-intimidating circuit for begginers with a lot of potential to win some cash and a boat or 2.

As for the preachiness - it all depends on who runs it. i'm by no means a religious person, but the meetings weren't bad. If its too bad for you, only one member has to go to it to get the points. I became friends with the original west side director and we fished a few Txs together the following year before he moved - he was a stand up guy with good reason for his beliefs but never once came close to making you think he was preaching.

i do think the tournament saturation we already have is the limiting factor. People have a hard time giving up the old for the new and if they do - they are weighing all their options and going for the best bang for their buck.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

djkimmel

We are saturated. Not much doubt about that. I was friends with Tim VP I think due to a mutual federation team we were on... long time ago, but I think that was it. Last I knew, he near Guntersville and said I could come down there fishing. Never got a chance to take him up on it yet and haven't talked to him in quite a while. Nice guy. I liked him.

Puma

Saturation is an understatement?  To make matters worse, they all fish the same bodies of water.  White, Muskegon, Grand River.  We have so many great bodies of water to fish and more tournaments beating up on those lakes is not what we need.  I do think if someone gave a decent tournament a go with different lakes, they would have a better chance.

As far as the preaching, I would hope I am living my life in such a manner that my walk and conversation would examplify my beliefs, it does not always have to be overt and in your face preaching.  Too often in your face preaching - like I've seen some here - that has pushed some away.  It should be about relationships, not religion?  But if you must have an 'official' meeting, perhaps they should have it in the morning before take off.

Lightningboy

It's my understanding that the Friday night meetings are quite a big deal down south.  A local church hosts the meeting, with quite a big spread layed out; many members bring the family. 

As to everyone's personal choices, I always tell my students "Baskin Robbins has 31 for good reason".   ;D

Dan

The Elite Series anglers have a very similar meeting prior to the pairings at Registration. They take about 15 or so minutes and invite anyone who would like to participate to join. Some do, some don't. Alton Jones and a couple others spearhead the fellowship meeting. It's treated very matter of factly, and there is no pressure other than some get up to go while others sit.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

troossien1

I am 16 I also have an opinion. In my opinion I want to serve the Lord my God in every way I possibly can.. I believe he gave me an ability to fish and I want to glorify him in what I do, I want to show him how much I love him. I know it makes him happy when I do things in remembrance of him.. I also know I am young but I am also doing what I believe is right, Everyone has their own opinion on this issue and I know it's a sensitive one, even if I don't agree with your opinion I still respect it. I just see FOM as a way of honoring God in a way I know how to do fairly well
Kistler rods

djkimmel

That is the post of a mature person. Respecting each other is very important. Because life is too short for anything else.

Redbone

I dont like people pushing beliefs on me at all. But I will say that the meetings that I attended were not bad at all.  The downfall was that they were a little pricey for the amount of participants that was drawn to the tourneys.

At the time I participated in FOM I didnt have Greatlakesbass.com to go to for all the tourney information!  ;D

djkimmel

Well, I'm glad you're here and hope to keep you happy.

Redbone

Quote from: djkimmel on March 17, 2011, 11:56:47 AM
Well, I'm glad you're here and hope to keep you happy.

Cash only please! 8)