Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:54:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

UP Report

Started by UPBert, June 06, 2006, 09:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UPBert

Been traveling a lot for work/graduations/etc.  Managed to get out fishing quite a bit though, and things have quieted down and thought I would post a report.  One thing of interest, the water warmed up close to 20 degrees in the week prior to Memorial Day weekend with all the hot weather we had.

Got out opening morning on a large (for up here) resevoir, put over thirty smallmouths in the boat, nothing real huge, but a steady fun morning.  A couple of years back, the dam upstream from this one failed, and it seems the big bass took a pretty good hit.  Maybe unrelated, who knows...  Also caught six walleyes, only one legal.  Only one pike bite off.  All participants were released unharmed. 

Went out Memorial Day to a small largemouth/crappie lake.  The bass weren't doing much, but the crappie and bluegills were up shallow and active.  Had fun catching them, and kept 3 crappie and 3 bluegills for dinner - per the bosses order...

The day after Memorial Day, went to a smallmouth lake.  It also has crappie, walleye, pike and bluegill.  A very good all-around lake, but the landing leaves a lot to be desired.  The morning was hot and calm and started out slow.  Finally started to pick up some nice smallies here and there.  Then about 9am the wind kicked up out of the north, and thunderstorms started building to the south.  The fish really turned on, and I caught a bunch of nice smallies.  Ended up with 26 in the boat, and had 15 that went from 17-19", fat little footballs they were, spewing crayfish parts everywhere.  All are back in the lake for next time...  I sure appreciate where I live, as I was the only boat on the lake.

This past Sunday, I went to a deep, rocky and extremely clear lake that has lots of both large and smallmouths, and a lot of big fish also.  You can read a beer can in 15' of water.  Caught some decent smallies early, once the sun got up, I started seeing many big bass of both varieties just cruising in pairs and small groups in 5-10' of water - pretty frigging amazing.  Could get them to look at and sniff my offerings, but no takers.  The bluegills were real active on the surface eating some sort of bug hatch, so started fishing/catching them.  (I am starting to scare myself here - "Hi my name is UPBert, and I am a bluegill fisherman...")  I haven't resorted to live bait yet, so I think there is still hope!  There were a few smallmouths on beds, lots of rock bass on beds, and a few gills on beds.  I finally had to catch one of the smallies off a bed, to do a sized compaison.  The fish I caught was 16", and he paled in size considerably to the bass I saw cruising.  Many of the bass I saw cruising were 20+ inches.  Ended up catching many small-to-medium sized bass, a bunch of bluegills, and a ton of annoying little rockbass.  It is hard at times to bass fish this lake, cause the rockbass are everywhere...  Kept a few 8-9" bluegills for dinner - got to keep the war department happy.

All in all, fishing has been pretty good.  Best of luck to you all and be safe - UPBert

Cheetam

I'd love to get back up to the UP to do some fishing.  I haven't been up there fishing since visiting my uncle Lyle in Iron Mountain in the late 70's, early 80's.  Super nice lakes, clean and clear from what I remember...could also go and catch a rainbow dinner in the creeks near his house...now that was cool.
Jeff

djkimmel

Thanks for the UP Report - good to know you can still go out fishing without cheap entertainment at boat ramps and 'Ben Trodders' running all over the place making you twitchy.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.