Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:17:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Rest in peace Madwags

Started by LAPORTE, March 09, 2011, 01:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAPORTE

I'm really having a tough time.

It all started off by lurking around here watching people post and trying to figure out what kind of person they are. Listening to the things that they say. About where when and how they are going to fish. Then after awhile you think I sure would like to hang out with this guy sometime. You never really know who you are talking to on the other end because of the whole inter-net thing. You never see a face with the name.

Then the day comes and you say to your wife I'm going to a fishing tourney on St.Clair (dk open) she asks who is in it. My only reply a bunch of guys from the internet. She says "who" ? and I reply back with you know Revtro, Dkimmel, Fishon1219, Uawbigdog, Mccarter, Sethv, Madwags... you know  honey  the guys... now she is asking me are do you even know these people ? I reply na but it will be ok (she always thinks the worst)   I assure her I'm a big boy and on my way I go.

See over the past 5 years I have putting  faces with screen names.  Many of you have become friends some more than others, but its early I've only been fishing for a short time.

Fast forward   

By now Dave and I  had fished a bfl together and talked several times and I happen to mention that I was not going to be fishing much over the summer. When he asked why I told him. I was going to be tied up trying to get quotes and then working on kitchen re-model for the wife. He asked if he could come over and quote it. I was hesitant to let him because we had fished together and you know what happens when you mix friends and money. He assured me this would never become an issue so I told him sure come on over and take a look although we didn't have prints yet. Dave came over when he arrived he took one look after listening to us and said. "You know we can do this, I've got these 2 Albanian guys we can crack this out in a day"

After Dave set me up with his drafting & design guy, and the project approved by the Mrs. I get a call from Dave in short saying  they guys will be here to do the rough building on Saturday and the materials would be delivered the day before on Friday. The next Saturday morning comes about 6am I here someone pulling siding off the back of my house. It was Dave.  A few minutes' later 3 trucks pull up and in total 10 journeymen carpenters get out and in about 13 hours the job was complete in just one day... just like Dave said it would.

At the end of the day the head carpenter came over to me and asked me not to give out his name to anyone for any kind of work. I thought it was odd. It must have been the look on my face. But right after that he said Dave had called in a favor for the work to be done. Until that moment I had just considered Dave just another fishing buddy. But by then I knew he was more than that. We had taken that next step beyond fishing

Nearly every week since then we have talked about every thing from fishing to politics.  I would give him the business about not driving a Ford and he would give it back about the UAW the conversations were always in fun. I truly will miss the chats we had together

Dave's passing has put emptiness in my heart and thoughts of him in my mind all day long. I have not hurt this bad inside since the passing of my father.

I pray for his family may the lord our god look over them through these difficult times.  As I go to worship for the lent service they will be in my prayers, tonight and always.  :'(

Jason, Please pm me if you or the family needs anything

Don LaPorte ( heavy d )

skeeterdon@a t t.net
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Revtro

I know what you mean.  I find myself thinking about all this a lot during the day.  This past year, in addition to chatting with Dave occasionally at tournaments, I started to chat with him via email and Facebook.  The more I got to know about him, the more I liked him.  I didn't get the chance to really know him as well as I'd have liked to.  We had plans to get out on the lake this spring, but I'll never have that chance now and it saddens me. 

On the flipside, from our chats I know he was a man of faith.  He knew (knows) God and is experiencing the wonders of being in His presence and for that I am so thankful.  It fills me with joy to know that Dave is with the Father and that I'll get to know him better in Heaven.  But for now, he will be missed.  Thanks for sharing that story!
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

1javelin

God needs awesome carpenters to help finish our heaven. He's in a better place, where there is no ice on the water, the season never closes, and you can throw whatever your heart desires all day long. God doesn't promise us a long and easy life, he promises us the afterlife. Rest in peace my friend.

1jav

Live to fish, Fish to live.

djkimmel

We have our memories. Sharing them helps.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

R.I.P. Wags.  Prayers sent from my family to yours.  May the Lord keep you close to his heart.

BD                      :'(
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

FOB

Didn't fish with him, but talked often.  Considered him a dear friend.  Prayers to family and friends. Now is the time to look up for comfort and guidance.  Someone please keep us posted on arrangements, etc.

God grant that I may live to fish until my dying day,
and when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray.
When in the Lords safe landing net I`m peacefully asleep,
that in his mercy I be judged as big enough to keep.

I'm sure he was a keeper, and I look forward to getting to fish with him some day.
Ralph Blasey
Wonderland Marine West  734-417-5550

djkimmel

FOB,
Here's the memorial service information link: http://www.greatlakesbass.com/forum/index.php?topic=9696.0

And there is a fund to help the family through these tough times also for those who wish to donate in lieu of flowers: http://www.greatlakesbass.com/forum/index.php?topic=9701.0

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

SethV