Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:30:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

It is with heavy heart that I post this.... Rest in Peace MadWags

Started by Mini, March 08, 2011, 11:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay-MadWags

Thank you for all your prayers, thoughts and kind words.
Dave was my Uncle, my best man in my wedding, my brother, my mentor, my fishing partner and my best friend.  He taught me everything I know about fishing.  I have fished with Dave since I was 10 years old. Both freshwater and saltwater.  I don't know what I will do without him.  He is survived by his wife Liza, daughter Sara and son Evan.  As soon as I find out what the arrangements are I will tell Dan.  Again, my family thanks you all for your prayers and support. 
Jay-Mad of "Team MadWags"
Jason Madigan

VinceR

Wow, just wow. I really don't know what to say. When I saw this on the Facebook page, I really wasn't sure that I was seeing this.

Dave was one of those people that I always looked forward to seeing at the tournaments. I knew that he would say something funny, and I would go away with a smile. Never failed.

I will miss that. I will surely miss him.

R.I.P. my friend.

Prayers and condolences to his family.

Firefighter Jeff

Oh my goodness. I couldn't believe what I was reading.  I didn't know Dave as well as many of you but he seemed like a great guy.  I did get a chance to meet him a couple times at the DK Opens.  I had hoped to fish St Clair some day with him.  Gone too soon, he will be greatly missed.  RIP Dave

Hooksetter

I was as shocked as everyone else when I read this. It's just hard to believe.I only met him a handful of times but noticed he talked to everyone like he had known them his whole life, even if they just met.  RIP Dave.

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

McCarter

I have had all day to chew on this and i still dont really want to believe it.  Wags was the best.  He was one of those guys who could make anyone smile.  I had never heard him say an ill word about anyone and likewise, had never heard anyone say an ill word about him.  My thoughts and prayers go to him, his family and friends, and everyone who had ever had the pleasure of making his acquaintance.  Dave was one of the good guys and will be remembered forever.

When my grandfather was on his death bed a few monthes back, the whole family gathered at his home to say our goodbyes.  After we each spent a little time with him, we gathered in there front yard in a large circle, sitting in lawn chairs, on skatebords, on paint buckets, and passed around a bottle of Jack.  One by one my family shared what he meant to us, individually.  And afterwards, took a swig of bourbon and passed the bottle on to the next family member.  By the time, the circle was complete, and the bottle almost empty, we had a sense of ease and comfort.  No doubt partly from the bourbon, but also in sharing his memories with each other, whether it be a story, an opinion, repeating words he had spoken, or just a memory that we had tucked away for years.  Each of us spoke in his honor and helped each other understand just how special he was to all of us.

If it is ok, i would like to share a piece of what Wags was to me.  

Working the outdoors shows as i have done for the past 7 or 8 years, i really got to know him pretty good.  He was the guy, amidst all the chaos that these events bring, that I would always look forward to seeing.  I could see him down an isle, making the rounds, and i couldnt wait for him to get to where i was so i could shake his hand and hear what he had to say.  It was always something funny.  When he was there, he made the shows better to be at.  And him knowing me from the shows, would always make an early stop to my booth on Saturday and Sunday mornings, silver flask in hand, offering me a nip of "the good stuff" to set me straight for the day.  He was a friend.  Just taking the time to consider me was enough to prove that.  That was our thing, and I will never forget it.

McCarter himself :-\'

Colin Linton

RIP Madwags,

May I send my sincerest condolences to everyone in this sad time  :'( 

A life taken far too soon. 

I may have only known you via GLB for a few posts but you made them all count.  Gods Speed Sir.

Colin
Don't let your shadow be the only thing you cast today!

mikesmiph

I found out late in the day and just got home to read everything that has been posted. I can hardly type. He was my hero. I honestly dont know what to say. Yhanks to a couple friends who let me know.

jagbigdog

Our Dear Wags, Senior Pro Staffer of The Big Dog Fishing Team. With the most sincere condolences to Liza, Jason, and the complete Wagensomer family our deepest sympathy in the loss of Wags. From Wag's smile, to his sense of humor to all we have been given...something special to call Wags our Dear Friend and Associate, the ultimate Pro Staffer, and example of dedication and true belief and care. Many hours of devotion to his love of fishing and friends, was extremely special and never forgotten. Wags, you will always have a special spot in the heart of the Grandt Rods Big Dog Fishing team. Until we meet again Wags, 3 Magical Olives on a stick and one in the hole. From Grandt Rods, Big Dog, Jacqueline and The Russman we love you dearly, Wags.  Thanks for the GREAT TIMES, the unique and truly WAGS rendition of the "Grandt Rods" show tour song that will always play GOLD in our hears and souls, ...Rest my Brother, Rest in peace and joy...and see you in Paradise.

IlliniMatt21

R.I.P David

David had been my boater for the Big 10 Classic Championship the last 2 years on Lake St. Clair and I can safely say that he made those 2 tournaments the best that I have ever fished. I don't think anyone else would sit an entire day in 30 degree weather, 20 mile an hour winds and 3-4 foot waves while WATCHING two college kids fish out of their boat with a smile on their face. His excitement for anything fishing related was extremely contagious and I will never be able to thank him enough for all of the help that he gave us the past 2 years. I will never forget everything that David took the time to teach me, the patience that he had and above all, his competitive spirit. I am extremely sad that I never had the time to get back up to LSC to go fun fishing with him. I know that I speak for the rest of my club when I say that he will be greatly missed. I really don't know what else to say, just found out a few hours ago and I'm still speechless.

If anyone is planning a memorial tournament/charity event for David and his family, please keep me informed. I am President of the University of Illinois Bass Club and we definitely want to be involved in anything that is going to be held in David's memory. If anyone wants to send me a message my email is m.sells21@gmail.com, I am more than willing to get involved in any of these events and I can work with the other Big 10 Presidents to get them involved as well.

Again R.I.P. David, not only will you be remembered as a great fisherman but you will be remembered as an all around great guy as well.

djkimmel

Every time Dave called me or stopped by somewhere to talk to me, he did it like we were continuing a conversation we had only left off a few minutes ago. We were just discussing some 'strategy' a couple days ago like we had all the time in the world.

Dave really was a smart, smart guy who knew what really matters. That's what I always liked so much about him. I hope I've learned from him. In his case, 'Legend' seems appropriate.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

I did not know him that well but his posts and humor used to make me laugh.  I am sure he will be drinking a beverage and fishing with my brother in heaven.   They were a lot alike.

RIP

matt

Wow,This comes as a shocker. I'm so used to seeing him around here. He's gonna be missed.  :'(

Team houston

I was just totally shocked to read that. I fished with him in a BFL once. He was a great guy and I caught one of my biggest sacks ever. RIP  Dave

Revtro

I really liked what McCarter had to say.  Maybe we should start a "What's your fondest memory or Wags?" post...starting with Brian's.  Good stuff.  I'm sure we have lots of great stories out there.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Mojo

Quote from: Revtro on March 09, 2011, 03:56:42 PM
I really liked what McCarter had to say.  Maybe we should start a "What's your fondest memory or Wags?" post...starting with Brian's.  Good stuff.  I'm sure we have lots of great stories out there.

In due time Im sure we will share. As most know, Dave and I won a 2011  regional spot this year in NBAA. Along with Jason, Wags (like most things he put his mind to) was set up to fish each of the 3 days in the NBAA regional.  I cant bring myself now to write some of those very special moments we shared on the water and after, but I look forward to sharing later........

Dan - thanks for having this available, even now, It makes me feel a little closer seeing his name whenever I scoll around. Thanks.  
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Mike S.

Wow.  I have been reading everything that I have missed since I posted last night.  I got goosebumps when I got to Dan's post that has Wags's pic and signature on it.  He is still logged on to the site.  Guess that means he hears all the great memories everyone here at GLB has of him. 

djkimmel

Per his nephew (and practically twin) Jason (Jay-MadWags) I have heard that Dave's wife Liza was on here reading what everyone has wrote and it appears that she was touched by how many of you were his friend, liked him and posted things about Dave.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

I am very sorry to hear this...I really enjoyed the few times that I got to meet Dave and talk fishing with him....
My best to the Family and all involved...

Dan

I truly felt a bond with Wags. He was a kindred spirit. In my blog today I posted this poem as a tribute.

Farewell My Friend

"It was beautiful as long as it lasted
The journey of my life.
I have no regrets whatsoever
save the pain I'll leave behind.
Those dear hearts who love and care...
And the strings pulling at the heart and soul...
The strong arms that held me up
When my own strength let me down.
At every turning of my life I came across good friends,
Friends who stood by me,
Even when the time raced me by.
Farewell, farewell my friends
I smile and bid you goodbye.
No, shed no tears for I need them not
All I need is your smile.
If you feel sad do think of me
for that's what I'll like,
when you live in the hearts
of those you love, remembered then
you never die."

Rabindranath Tagore.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

marya

So sorry to see the loss of a fellow fisherman... deepest sympathy goes out to his friends and family. Pray that God be with his family, know what it is like to loose someone dear.