Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:04:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

ATTENTION: If you get logged out unexpectedly

Started by djkimmel, February 12, 2011, 12:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

The forum is under a fairly determined and extensive brute force BOT login attack since very early Friday morning. I've been working on security changes and IP address range blocks for about 5 hours this evening to slow it down, and maybe eventually stop it.

It appears to be possibly coming allegedly from an actual company that has gone stupid and will probably be getting sued by another company. Regardless, besides the big headache it has given me, it is possible some of you may get logged out of the forum unexpectedly with an error message stating you have attempted too many logins.

It will not be anything you have done. I am trying hard to keep any of you from even noticing it personally, but if you do get logged out and can't log back in, please Contact me and I'll try to get you straightened out as soon as possible.

If you see a page asking you to prove you are a human, I apologize profusely for the irritation and recommend you have your computer scanned with an up-to-date virus program. I've had to do this to keep things from getting worse as this attack is affecting a large number of websites and some of my fellow webmasters are having a devil of a time compared to the 5 hour headache I've had.

I have also made changes that might possibly affect what you can see and do on the forum when not logged in, so if you find you can't do something while logged out that you used to be able to do, that is why. Please log in.

Thanks,
Dan

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

mikesmiph

Thanks for always being there to protect us Dan.

djkimmel

You're welcome mikesmiph! I have not heard from anyone who claims to have gotten kicked out so it appears maybe I did not get attacked to the same level as some webmasters I saw posting on support boards.

Crossing my fingers, but there have been no further inblocked attempts since this morning about 3AM. Some Internet security types are claiming this 'attack' is coming from a British ISP and I did definitely see some of the attempts coming from their IP addresses, but I had attempts coming from Asia, half of Europe (Eastern and Western), Africa, North America and even one from Latin America. I have no idea why they would be coming to this site so much since I have no actual members from the home island and not many visitors?

40 known spammer IPs have been blocked on here since 4:30 AM. I wish there was another choice because I had to block about 1,400 additional IP addresses and entire ranges meaning it is possible some legitimate person might not be able to get to the site.

Some of them where US IP addresses. I don't feel too bad about the ones are coming from known scumbag companies (sorry about that language) in the US who cater to people who like to do naughty things without being easily traced. Proxy servers and private server farms. I've never gotten a legitimate member from one of them. Only spammers and hackers.

But some of the IP addresses are probably people who are not taking good care of their computers and have been infected by someone who then uses their computer remotely to do bad things. I hate to do that to anyone, but these spammers almost leave me no other choice.

If any of you get sent to a page that recommends you seek technical help, it is because your computer has been identified by a major service (not necessarily me) as forwarding spam or other bad things. There are 5 people I know right now whose computers are being used to send spam or worse. I try to help with advice, but unfortunately, I have to keep them from infecting the rest of you first, which means blocking them until they get cleaned up. Sorry.

I'm just glad we are not having the problems to the degree a whole bunch of other websites are having from this right now! Yuck!

Something I don't feel so bad about... remember 'Lonely in Lagos?' Gone! Permanently! ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Redbone

If I get kicked off I'm not paying my membership fees! >:(

djkimmel

Skulley

Let me know if you need grenades and heavy artillery.  We'll get the commie b*&%$#ds!!!!    :o

BD                       ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

I wish I could get them. If I charged a little, we could make a fortune from other webmasters who would shower us with gifts!!

Puma

Keep up the good work Dan.  I run a web page, though not to this extent, so have a small glimpse of what you go through.  It is a ton of work - especially running a forum.  Good Job.

MadWags

Quote from: UAWBigDog on February 13, 2011, 09:08:12 AM
We'll get the commie b*&%$#ds!!!!    :o

You think the attacks are coming from the White House? ;)
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

LGMOUTH

Quote from: MadWags on February 13, 2011, 03:35:15 PM
Quote from: UAWBigDog on February 13, 2011, 09:08:12 AM
We'll get the commie b*&%$#ds!!!!    :o

You think the attacks are coming from the White House? ;)

Now thats funny right there
When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

djkimmel

No White House IP addresses... though a different government agency seems to check in here once in a while. Certain keyword subjects always seem to precede the visits... hmmm?? Like I say, you just never know who's watching...

mikesmiph

would any of those keywords have anything to do with grenade and White House in the same topic? LOL

djkimmel

You just never really know... ooops!! Better go check the logs...

MadWags

Quote from: mikesmiph on February 14, 2011, 08:13:33 PM
would any of those keywords have anything to do with grenade and White House in the same topic? LOL

No but they might if it is in the same post! :o
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.