Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:06:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Great news! At least 93 boats now entered in Burt/Mullett!

Started by djkimmel, June 01, 2006, 12:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

I talked to our Tournament Director for Michigan BFL - Anthony Wright - and we were at 93 boats this morning for the Burt/Mullett June 10th opener, with several more having called in later today saying they wanted to enter too!

We should be at or over 100 boats by tournament time next Saturday. Sounds like we may hit the fishing perfect too for huge catches from the reports I'm hearing.

I appreciate that Anthony announced today that he is looking forward to our division and our anglers - he has already picked to be tournament director for the Michigan division again for 2007 - shows a lot of faith and confidence.

I should make it up there this weekend so stay tuned for any other helpful information I come up with for anglers planning on fishing Burt/Mullett.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

SethV

Dan-

I heard a rumor that the launch site is changing to the north end of Mullett in the river.  Is that true?  I have seen nothing from FLW yet?

Seth V

SethV

I just checked the FLW page.  The lauch site HAS changed.  It is now:

1000 Watersedge Dr.
Cheboygan, MI

It will be interesting to see how this changes things.  It will make a longer run to Burt...I wonder if this will pile up boats in Mullett more?  More guys headed to Huron?

Seth V

djkimmel

I was waiting for confirmation from Anthony Wright, our tournament director before changing anything here. They are making every effort to notify participants before they arrive about the change.

I'll update with a new map to the launch tonight along with some other information as soon as I talk to Anthony about his final decisions on how he wants to work this location. I'm going to be checking it out this weekend too for logistics support.

The new location is VERY enthusiastic and supportive - the ramp is on the Cheboygan River at the M-33 bridge - the Pier 33 Party Store / Summer Moorings Marina, 1000 Watersedge Drive
Cheboygan MI 49721-8581
Phone: (231) 597-8693

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

SethV

Dan-

When you talk to Anthony, can you ask him about the Lock schedule?  Will the lock be able to open early for us to go to Huron, or will we have to wait until 9:00?  I know sometimes in other events they worked out a deal with the lockmaster to open up earlier.  Since we will be launching 1/3 of the way to Huron, it may be a nice option.

Thanks-
Seth V

Eric

Does anyone have any knowledge or experiences regarding where to (or not to) stay up there?
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

djkimmel

Don't stay at The Landings. I haven't heard any complaints about any of the places in Indian River or Cheboygan. I've mostly camped, but I did stay at the Best Western in Cheboygan once and that worked out well.

I've updated the original post with the Cheboygan Chamber's web site and the contact info for the new official lodging too if that might help.

djkimmel

Seth, I don't know if Anthony is going to contact the lock or not. I was able to work out something with them a while back in an off time myself. You may want to try to contact the Petoskey SP and ask since they will schedule other times, especially if a number of boats want through (at least in the past they did). I'm not sure if I will be able to get to that or not. I'll mention it to Anthony if I get another chance.

PapaChris

What I have found out about Lock masters is, A little grease in the palm goes a long ways.

When your up there on thursday or friday prefishing, go through the lock and give the lock master a descreat little tip and ask if he can come early on Saturday. I usually find they are more than willing to do so. They are like the rest of us, If you want me to come in early, compensate me for it.

If everyone that wants to go that way slips him 5 or 10 bucks in the days before, it will be more than worth his time to set his alarm a little early.

nitrobass

From the launch site to mullet does anyone know if it is a no wake zone?

djkimmel

Yes - the entire Cheboygan River and Black River are no wake.

Going to Mullett will be against the current. Coming back in will be faster with the current.

It's not a real long idle - maybe 20-25 minutes to Mullett and less than 20 back, but I'll have to time it again - been a while since I've gone up the river to the bridge - it might be half an hour. If I time it this weekend, I'll post the time here.

Do NOT quote me on this, but maybe they will give us a little extra time for the no wake. Would be nice, but not sure if it will be feasible.

dsmatch

this consist of two parts

I. Does anyone think a Canadian fishing licence is needed for the Burt/Mullet tournament? If so please help with any info on where I can get one before the tournament. I did not realize this water system leads to Lake Huron ???

II. This is my first time fishing the BFL, I will be a co-angler. I live in Chicago. In response to that other thread I was reading, Why I pick the Michigan BFL.

1st and formost this division CATCHES FISH. I compared Michigan, Illini, and Great Lakes and by far this division catches alot more fish, alot more limits. I figured you have more fun at a tournament if you weigh something.
2nd, when comparing the miles I would have to travel, Michigan was in the middle with Illini (being my home state) being the most miles.

Looking forward to this season, Thanks for the help
Great site, I am glad I found it ;)

canvsbk

I can't imagine needing a canadian license. Nothing is impossible of course, I've spent alot of time up there over the years and I wouldn't even consider that run. Ever.
Look past what they want you to see.

canvsbk

However, when they move down to St Clair I can almost gaurantee you'll need both a Canadien and Walpole license.
Look past what they want you to see.

CuradoKev

Hey DSMatch,

Welcome to the Michigan BFL - This will be my third year as a coangler and all the guys are great !!

Ditto Canvas - You won't need a canadian for Burt/Mullet but you WILL need one for the rest of tourneys except Grand River. Buy the one year canadian license and you can get them from this website. www.lakesidefishingshop.com - It will take a couple weeks so buy NOW. It should run you around $54.00 USD. As far as Walpole - The indian reservation in LSC, I usually buy one but not this year I just won't fish if I goto Walpole unless I enter the Stren series. However, don't screw your boater and get a canadian license for sure. You WILL be in canadian water especially in the last two tourneys if your boater wants to win  ;D

Later CKev
SOB Lures
www.soblures.com

Terry's Tackle
www.terrystackle.com

dsmatch

What is a Walpole licence? Where do I buy one and how much?

Sorry for all the questions I just want to be as prepared as possible.
Any other suggestions or lessons learned from previous experiences would be greatly appreciated.

REEL_MAN

Walpole is the Indian reservation at the north and northeast sides of St. Clair. Excellent fishing but few go there because they don't want to by the license.? As a co-angler for the last four years I have always bought the license so I wouldn't mess up my boater. The Indians don't mess around with people without a license, they will take your gear and give you a ticket as well. You can buy a license at the tackle shop at 10th and Jefferson, I think it was $38 dollars (US) last year.
Get your Canadian Lic. today. I don't have the phone number (you can get it on line) but you can order it over the phone with a credit card. It took a week and a half to get mine this year, but they will tell you it can take up to 5 weeks. SO ORDER TODAY.

REEL_MAN :)

cameraguy

Back to the topic...there must be at least 94 boats now.  I signed up online.  I forgot about the late fee of $25.  Ouch.

RB

I have a ? this will be my first bfl and im going as a co-angler and im wondering what amount of money I should give my boater for gas.Also is there anything special I will need for registration.I would also like to thank Dan for all the great information.I got a spot at waterway campground today.So thanks again Dan.

djkimmel

You're welcome RB and thanks for registering on the GreatLakesBass.com forum.

$20 is still fairly customary for a rider fee. These are not huge lakes with real long runs unless your boat decides to go to Crooked and Pickerel, or Drummond Island. I tend to think if the boater wants to make a long run, he/she should expect you to necessarily foot a much larger part because of it.

If you have a spot a ways away and the boater agrees to go there, then maybe more is in order. The real key, I think, is to work this out the night before the tournament at the pairings. Less chance for unpleasant surprises or misunderstandings. Some co-anglers feel that if they have a bad day, they shouldn't pay or pay less. Bad days can be in the eye of the beholder and doesn't change the expense of hauling a boat and running it around.

The more you work out at the pairing meeting, the better the fishing day may go.

Make sure you get to the pre-reg meeting before 7 PM or call 270-252-1000 before 5PM and register over the phone on Friday. Bring a pen. They usually have cards available on the stage to write flights, your boat number and partner's name on. Get a contact number or location on your partner too once drawn.