Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:00:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Spring turkey hunt 2011

Started by Got Fish??, January 25, 2011, 05:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Got Fish??

Make sure you get your applications in before the deadline 1-31-11. I will be posting some new things this season.  I am going to tell you how to make a wingbone call, out of your wildturkey. I also want your opinion on camouflage patrons, Whats your favorite.

fuzzygrub1611

Dan said don't forget your turkey call at outdoorama!!!!!!!!!!

Got Fish??

Turkey drawing results will not be mailed to your home address, for the second year in a row. In order to get your drawing results. They will be posted at www.michigan.gov/huntdrawings, on March 1 2011. Printing out a copy of your results will speed things up at your favorite outfitter. Hunters who do not apply for the drawing may purchase a license for hunt No234 from Jan 1-May 1 , OR may purchase a leftover license ( if available), beginning March 15. The $4 application fee will not be charged ( this only applies to drawing participants) After May 1, hunt No 234 will be available only to those who applied.

Got Fish??

Cabelas has put out a nice spring turkey catalog for 2011. I am sure BassPro has one just the same, I have not received it yet in the mail. Be careful when you buy a call or decoy, I believe that mechanical decoys and recorded turkey calls are illegal in Michigan.

Got Fish??

There is a lot of hunting gear out there, That catches hunters. Here's two things , I think are must haves. A good set of sights. Like Truglo fiber-optic sights. They are not to hard on the wallet. For us seasoned vets up in our years. They pick up light vary well, even in early morning after dawn. I am sure there are other manufactures that make fiber-optic sights, That will do just as good of a job. Second are shooting pods. This is a great way to get set,stay set, and keep your movement to a bare minimum.  I have tried scopes and red-dots. With unfavorable results. The action is to close and mistakes are easy to make. Using shooting pods of 1-2 or 3 legs is of personal preference. Pick one that feels Good and you have confidence in.

Got Fish??

Locator's or shock calls. Most of my hunting buddies agree that the call doesn't have to be a native of that area. It's a shock call used to locate roosting birds. Sometimes even the slam of a car door will set the birds off. I think the secret is not to abuse the call. Use it to lacate then hush right down, so that the roosting birds don't get  your position. Early back when I first started hunting toms. I set off not looking for roosting birds, got in to the woods aways and shock called to locate. 30 yards away from me  were 3 nice toms in a large pine. Of course my morning hunt was over for that spot but I learned an important lessen. Always be looking when you are on your way to a setup spot. One locater call I suggest not to use from experience is the gobbler call. It seems to chase away Jake's. Some times a mature tom is not in the area, and a beard is a beard.

Got Fish??

Now that we know what hunt number# that we have. It's time to start planning and gathering are gear. There is know time like right now to find all that gear,like your bags and packs. Make sure thay are clean and rid of that old jerky that you left in you pack from Dublin's general store and the tobacco chew you bought from Glen's in Houghton Lake or the jelly containers you got from the Cracker Barrel near Jackson. Get them washed and start collecting your stuff! You will be leaving before you know it.

Got Fish??

Perfecting your diaphragm calling skills, is easier than you mite think. I use other calling devices to help hone in all those great sounds. I use a slate or a glass with sticker and other friction calls. Then try to copy that same note with my diaphragm. H.S.Strut has put out a new call, it is the Squealing Hen. It is a great call, at the same time it is also a good tool for copying sounds on your diaphragm. I know that every one has a call that they feel confident with, but if your going to hunt alone. You had better master a diaphragm sooner or later.

fasttrack

Thankfully got my bird at 7:10 so I could head home, dry off and warm up. Spring turkey hunting in the snow? What's up with that? Was surprised how well they were gobbling in the roost with the crummy weather - made my job a lot easier! I saw 6 jakes and 5 toms in the first 10 minutes. One flew down and went trucking by. Then the other 10 all came in at the same time so I could pick the nicest one.
Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

tjrock

Luckily I have an understanding family that knows how I am when it comes to hunting and fishing. I was just about done eating my easter dinner when everyone else showed up. I finished eating said my hello's and goodbye's and was off for the woods at about 2:45 and finally got my bird at about 4:45. Two of them came out of the woods into the wheat field about 5 yards away from my tent blind. I let them get about 20 yards away and let the biggest one have it. He had a 10" beard and 1" spurs.