Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:14:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Which brand has the widest beam?

Started by Big dreams, January 17, 2011, 10:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big dreams

I am in the market for a new boat since the accident took mine away.  I was wondering which boats had the widest beams?  I have heard the Champion Elite Series has a nice wide deck.  I am not sure on dimensions but on my 96' Champion 171 I did not have much room at all.  Not sure if 20' boats have more room or not.  Any advise as I begin looking?

Eric

If you're looking strictly at beam, look at the new Ranger Z521.  Quite a few guys started running them on tour last year, and they are huge.  I'm not a Ranger guy, but I liked how big the front of that boat is.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

thedude

my boat is an 18'r and it is the widest boat you will ever get into. Make me a deal on it and i would sell it to you like *snap* that.

;D
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

LennyB

You have to look at each boat individually and not just by brand. An example would the old champions like you had. When I bought my Ranger 185VS in 2004 I also looked at the Champion 181 and Champion 188 Elite. The 181 Champion was a triangle shape so by the time you get to the front deck, it was a lot narrower than the 188 Champion Elite which was a more of rectangular shape. The 04' Ranger also held its width the lenght of the boat however in 2005 they changed the hull design and the newer model (188VS) had more of the triangle shape making the front deck smaller. When you stepped up to the 19 footer 195VS, the front deck was the same as the 185 and the extra foot was in the rear. I would take a measuring tape and note pad to different dealers and really see what they are for comparison. Also as mentioned above as far lenght goes, some boats may add the extra feet to the rear deck, another thing to consider. All that being said, I would look hard at the "New" Stratos Elites which are the former Champion hull and the Ranger lines. Quality wise Ranger does have the highest quality finished product out there. Right behind them are The Stratos Elites, Tritons, Legends and Bass Cats. The Legends and Bass Cats are good rough water handling boats but are noticably narrower. Just my take on it.  
Len B.  

bassinman#1

What about the new nitros? Are they not 8' wide?

VinceR

They are, indeed.

The Z8 (20'1") and Z9 (20'9") are both 96" wide. The width carries from just forward of the consoles, all the way to the stern. The Z7 (18'8") is 94" wide.

thedude

looks like they copied the avalanche. mine is 96" (18.5')
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Waterfoul

Heck, my Triton is 96" wde... but only at the transom where it's pretty much useless.

It's how far they carry that beam forward that's important.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Big dreams

Are the Stratos Elites new?  I have not seen them before?  So the only way to know the deck width is to measure it?  It seems like the manufacturers would put that in the details.  I am not looking at new boats.  I was thinking in the 10-15k range.  Any suggestions?

Hooksetter

I almost bought a Nitro 929 a few years ago, you could land a helicopter on the front deck it was so big! No, really! I swear you could have set a tent up and camped out.

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

djkimmel

Quote from: Big dreams on January 17, 2011, 08:37:03 PM
Are the Stratos Elites new?  I have not seen them before?  So the only way to know the deck width is to measure it?  It seems like the manufacturers would put that in the details.  I am not looking at new boats.  I was thinking in the 10-15k range.  Any suggestions?

The Champion model line has been renamed by the new owners to Stratos Elite. Same boat. Different name.

On some of the websites for the various boat brands, you can get measurement details by checking out the specific models. I've always preferred Ranger Boats for their wide width and stable fishability. I fish in the boat more than anything (and maybe I'm a little clumsy). I like stability. The models are all very good boats to drive in the Great Lakes too. I've driven many of them and the technology and design has been improved upon so much since my 1993 492VS was made (still a great boat for me - almost 18 years surviving the Great Lakes). Ranger has been making wide, stable boat hulls for a long time.

Here's an example of looking up the hull specs - http://www.rangerboats.com/StaticPages/includes/ZAtAGlance.cfm

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

LennyB

Quote from: Big dreams on January 17, 2011, 08:37:03 PM
Are the Stratos Elites new?  I have not seen them before?  So the only way to know the deck width is to measure it?  It seems like the manufacturers would put that in the details.  I am not looking at new boats.  I was thinking in the 10-15k range. Any suggestions?
The new Stratos Elite website just came up this week with all the models pics, specs, and videos.
This is the link to the Stratos Elite 210. Looks like an awesome rig but big bucks$$$. I'll have to dream with you.
http://www.stratosboats.com/models.cfm?name=210elite

Also a couple other things to keep in mind when shopping for an older boat is whether the consols are modular or glassed in. When I was shopping in 2004 that is what steered me away from Bass Cat back then. I believe the Champions and for sure the Rangers had modular consoles by then, a big plus as far as no stress cracks around the console in the future. The other thing in the year boats you will be looking at is whether they used wood in the construction. When Triton first came out their claim to fame was No Wood - 100% composite thru out. No wood equals no rot. I believe it was 2003 when Ranger and Champion stepped up to no wood in the construction. Some lower grade boats may still use encapsulated wood for the transom or decking. Just more food for thought.

Skulley

The Stratos Elite Series is the Stratos name on the Champion hull particularly the 210 Elite.  As most of you know when they went through bankruptcy last year like so many other companies, they had to liquidate models.  Champion is no more but they didn't want to lose that hull design.  So essentially they came up with the Stratos 210 Elite Champion Edition.  And yes big $$$$.  I think it retails for about $54,000.

BD                  ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

VinceR

They kept the 183 and 202 Elites, too.

Skulley

Vince, are they calling the 183 and the 202 "Champion Series"??      ???   I was under the impression that the "Champion Series" for 2011 coming out of bankruptcy was only available in the 210 Elite.

BD.                               ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

LennyB

Skulley

Quote from: MBFT on January 19, 2011, 10:04:25 AM
They are all Stratos Elites. Thet are on the 2011 website.
183 is at: http://www.stratosboats.com/models.cfm?name=183elite
202 is at: http://www.stratosboats.com/models.cfm?name=202elite
210 is at: http://www.stratosboats.com/models.cfm?name=210elite

Which model comes in the "champion edition". The 210 Elite has a nameplate that is supposed to say "Champion Edition" on the glove box. Do the other Elite models have the nameplate???      ???

BD.                             ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Big dreams

What years did they begin making hydrohlic steering a basic feature?  I am looking at the 1999-2004 range.  Not too picky on the brand.  I would like the steering and a large deck.  Open to any suggestions. 
Thanks guys.

VinceR

My 99' 201 Cobra came with SeaStar hydraulic steering (standard equipped), and I'm sure it wasn't the first, or the only one.

VinceR

Quote from: UAWBigDog on January 19, 2011, 12:09:15 PM
Quote from: MBFT on January 19, 2011, 10:04:25 AM
They are all Stratos Elites. Thet are on the 2011 website.
183 is at: http://www.stratosboats.com/models.cfm?name=183elite
202 is at: http://www.stratosboats.com/models.cfm?name=202elite
210 is at: http://www.stratosboats.com/models.cfm?name=210elite

Which model comes in the "champion edition". The 210 Elite has a nameplate that is supposed to say "Champion Edition" on the glove box. Do the other Elite models have the nameplate???      ???

BD.                             ;D

BD, all three come in the "Champion Edition". The plate on the front of each console has Champion Edition above where it says "V-Wing Hull".