Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:17:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Impersonal

Started by EliteFF, January 16, 2011, 08:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EliteFF

??? As I attended the show yesterday I was a little disappointed to see how technology has begun to interfere with the public relation which I believe is the purpose of these shows.
While I listened to several of the people I know running booths I heard on several occasions that their profit has been lower this year. At the same time I would look over to see the younger personnel assisting them with their heads down and thumbs going like crazy on the devices they held.
At one booth I watched several times as people approached as if to say " here I am, sell me your stuff" and they weren't even acknowldedged.
At another booth there were four individuals representing a college fishing teamdoing the same thing and never once did I see anyone look up for a period of minutes.
If it had been me standing there with my children I would have been very disappoointed. Just think if KVD or Kim Stricker were start taking phone calls during there seminars.
Maybe sales are in fact down with the economy but I think that some blame could be placed on the lack of face to face that is required in selling your products.
Pay attention to your possible new customers people.
If this continues, people will probably just resort to the internet as with everything else. Just my opinion.
Live your life so that the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral

macbass

and with this being said....this is why a lot of pro staff people are having issues....there is a lot of staffers that need to figure out how to represent product so it helps the dealer or manufacture...In this economy it is not about what the dealers are doing for you it is what you are doing for them....as it stands right now usually the first word out of a young pro staffers mouth is what are you giving me...here is a hint get out of the chair shut off your phone and do what you are suppose to do..there are a ton of guys that can catch fish...represent the product that put you in this position...

IF ITS NOT A CAT ITS A DOG: BASSCAT PERFORMANCE BOATS www.thedropshotdenny.com www.hookednhunted.com

Skulley

EliteFF, I think this is a very good observation.  I myself have been guilty of this at one time or another.  Instead of dealing face to face with people, technology has made it so that people just don't get to know people anymore.  I recently read an article about job interviews.  It said that the biggest mistake that an interviewee could make was to be texting during the interview.  The article said that almost 99% of the interviewees did this and were not hired or even called back for a second interview.  As we old timers can attest to, looking someone in the eye and dealing with them directly and on a personal level will take one farther in their career or for that matter in life.  I observed several times the same thing you did and walked away as I felt that I wasn't important enough to talk to.  This technology is causing our youth to be lacking in manners.  They may not care now, but they will later in life.  In many cases of wanting to purchase a product, I HAVE resorted to the internet.  As for myself, I text less than anyone in my immediate family.  My 16 year old daughter sends and receives over 14,000 texts per month.  My wife is in the 1500 range.  I come in at around 300 a month.  Mine is low because I still believe in dialing the phone and talking to the person.  I like to hear their voice.  It tells me more about them.  But that is how I conduct my business.  Because of your post here, I am going to pay more attention of being more personal with people rather than letting technology take over.  I make my living off the technology in automobiles as I work for an American car company in engineering in electronic technology.  Thanks for your observation.  I hope enough of our young people on the forum read this and take note.  My best to you and yours.

BD                            ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

fiker

I'm retired now, but when I taught, the first day and a half lesson plan in my class was all about people skills, and getting to know one another.

What first impressions tell us, and how to make a good one.
Etiquette.
How to shake hands in a way that tells the other person how upright and honest you are.
How to introduce someone with dignity and respect.
Why you should be a man (woman) of your word.

Basically; how to look a man in the eye and ask for his daughter's hand.
How to show your future mother in law that you will be a good mother to her grandchildren.
How to convince the person doing the interview that you're the right candidate for the job.
How to treat people how they should be treated, with dignity and respect.

I had learned at a teaching seminar that today's youth (and this was 15 years ago) don't learn manners, etiquette, and such at home.  Their parents are too busy working, and doing their thing.   We as teachers could not expect that our students came to us knowing these things.  If we wanted them to know 'em, we had to teach 'em.  So I did.  In wasn't in the "State" curriculum, nor on any standardized test, but I did it anyway.

Over the years I had many parents, and students come back and thank me.   Thursday at the fishing show, I had two of my former students stop by the booth.   I hadn't seen them in years.  But when we met, they looked me in the eye and shook my hand. 
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Skulley

Quote from: fiker on January 16, 2011, 09:55:43 AM
I'm retired now, but when I taught, the first day and a half lesson plan in my class was all about people skills, and getting to know one another.

What first impressions tell us, and how to make a good one.
Etiquette.
How to shake hands in a way that tells the other person how upright and honest you are.
How to introduce someone with dignity and respect.
Why you should be a man (woman) of your word.

Basically; how to look a man in the eye and ask for his daughter's hand.
How to show your future mother in law that you will be a good mother to her grandchildren.
How to convince the person doing the interview that you're the right candidate for the job.
How to treat people how they should be treated, with dignity and respect.

I had learned at a teaching seminar that today's youth (and this was 15 years ago) don't learn manners, etiquette, and such at home.  Their parents are too busy working, and doing their thing.   We as teachers could not expect that our students came to us knowing these things.  If we wanted them to know 'em, we had to teach 'em.  So I did.  In wasn't in the "State" curriculum, nor on any standardized test, but I did it anyway.

Over the years I had many parents, and students come back and thank me.   Thursday at the fishing show, I had two of my former students stop by the booth.   I hadn't seen them in years.  But when we met, they looked me in the eye and shook my hand. 

These things are huge.  I bet you were proud of your students that you saw the other evening.  I wish more teachers today would spend just a bit of time with this when the semester starts.  I also wish you were a teacher for my 16 year old.  I think I had you or someone like you for a teacher myself about 100 years ago.  Of course 100 years ago the technology wasn't where it was today and we were forced by situation to learn the stuff you took the time to teach your students.  Great stuff Fiker.  Cheers!!!   ;D

BD                    ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

dartag

seemed like a lot more open space this year.  The big bar in the center took up a lot of space.   But with out the jerky, salsa, pot and pan sales and other crafts the place would only have been half full.   Better than sitting on the couch.

Sadly texting and cell phones are here to stay.   It is the way of communication with the young crowd.  Go to any school event and you will see  students and parents texting all the time.     BIGDOG has his I-Phone in a case made from ground up Otters I think I heard him say.. ;D ;D   Waterproof is a good thing.