Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 10:09:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Power Pole or New Minn Kota Talon?

Started by Victor Cerabone, January 08, 2011, 11:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MBell

I've been looking at some talon pics on facebook and I can't believe it took me this long to realize this...Bridges!!!  The talon won't let you under some bridges that you'll be able to get through with powerpoles.  A lot of times last year I would drop the motor/jackplate and then drop the power poles a bit, and I could sneak under a low bridge.  One I'm sure we all use is the shortcut at Metro beach, always had to lower the powerpole on that one.  Just something you might want to consider when mounting the talon, go as low as you can get away with.
-Matt

djkimmel

I'm going to look at how the unit can be lowered and put back up for that very situation later this spring.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

TCook

Makes me wonder if that video was rigged somehow? If not the Talon looks to be garbage compared to the PP when holding on the move. Good luck to anyone who bought one...
FISH HARD!!!

djkimmel

Seems strange considering the video I saw that showed the Talon holding against a 250HP Yamaha? I'll know for sure later this spring since I have been in several boats with a Power Pole and I'll get to see some Talons in action next. I'll wait until then before I make up my mind.

Don't know that guy, but I know me!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

peters_skeeter

Holy cow that video makes me wonder! That's a lot of money to spend on something that works so poorly as that video demonstrates. I know I am buying a shallow water anchor this spring, and I was really going towards the Talon. But would that be a mistake?  ??? ??? I can just see that happening on Coldwater Lake on a windy day. But that's what I want it for.  :-\' Do you spend the extra bucks on a Power Pole, that has been tested and approved by so many angler's? Or gamble on a product that hasn't been tested in the real world?
A pessimist curses the wind...
A optimist waits for the wind to change...
But a realist adjust his sails...

djkimmel

I found a few things about that video fishy considering what I have seen so far, and the videos I've seen from others I know of the Talon in operation. I'll find out for sure sometime this spring when I go out in a Talon-equipped boat.

I don't know the person who put up that video and I am always less likely to believe someone who comes along and posts one time (whether text or a video) anywhere so conveniently and timely.

I just can't say for sure until I see the Talon in real operation this spring. I have already seen several Power Poles in operation. After I spend some time with the Talon, I'll know for sure on my own. A much better test than a video that did not show the whole boat from a one-time poster that I do not know who also appeared to use different angles between the two and different mounting (Power Pole direct to the hull and Talon on a bracket).

TCook

Yes this video does seem sketchy with power poles overwhelming dominance over the Talon. Although if I am not mistaken the Talon is telescopic and does not use hydraulics, commen sense would make me think it will not be close to the stopping power of the power pole especially when trying to stop in the wind. If guys decide to buy an untested product because it says minn-kota on it over the proven power pole they are taking a big risk in my opinion.
FISH HARD!!!

Wolverines

I was seriously thinking about getting a Talon this spring, but now I'm not sure.  I don't take much stock in the overall dominance the PP had over the Talon in stopping distance.  Who knows what else is going on? There could be a guy on the front using a trolling motor to rig the results.

What I don't like is how the Talon got stuck down.  I've heard the guy wasn't using the remote properly, and I've heard he was.  All I know is if there's some sort of flaw with the telescoping pole I don't want one.  If it can get stuck like that, you'd have to unbolt it and remove it, otherwise your screwed.  Not a chance I want to take in a tournament.

Also, has Minn Kota seen this clip?  I'd like to hear their response to it.  It sucks cause the whole thing could be bogus, but it's got my attention for sure....
Plan Early for Fall of 2012!!!  Check out the NBAA Lake Michigan Fall Challenge:
http://www.nbaa-bass.com/pages/divisions/div_details12.php?division_id=217

MadWags

The guy was standing right next to it. Why didn't he reach over and use the switch on the unit itself?
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

djkimmel

Good question. Strange video based on what I have seen and been told so far. I would hope any of us are smart enough to not be swayed by one video from a one-hit wonder poster on Youtube. None of us know who that person is, or what affiliations that person might have. Many things could have occurred in that 'production' to sway people untruthfully. Too many questions from that one video that conveniently came out of nowhere for me to put any stock in it.

I'm going to go by my own firsthand comparisons later this spring. I've seen the Power Pole in action a number of times. Since the Talon is brand new, I have not seen it in action on a lake yet, just on tests online and at the Ranger factory.

Once I see the Talon this spring, I'll share video that I'm able to get out of the experiences. I don't have any video available of a Power Pole in action because I have only been with others who use them when I wasn't able to take video. If someone who owns a Power Pole wants to take me out to get some video of it in action this year, we can try to set that up.

If I have video of both in action, people can look at the features of the available products and decide with good information which product best meets their needs. That is always my goal on this website.

That does not mean that I won't sometimes promote specific products I personally believe in or share why I like one brand or model over another. What I will not do is lie or trick any of you by saying or showing something I know is not true.

djkimmel

Here's some information about the Talon from Minn Kota for anyone interested in knowing more about that new product:

Talon's innovative engineering and design provide many performance advantages, leading with the fastest deployment time compared to any product in its category. The Auto Up/Down feature needs only a quick press of a button for fully automatic deployment. This eliminates the need to continually press the button until the spike is completely deployed, wasting valuable fishing time. Stowing is just as easy and quick with a press of a button. Talon can be operated from the control panel or wireless remote. Two wireless remote controls come standard.

Talon assures a secure and solid position by providing the highest anchoring force on the market. The exclusive Auto-Drive feature drives the spike into the bottom with three successive hits with increased force on each hit.

When winds and currents pick up, anglers can activate Rough Water mode which repeats the Auto-Drive feature sequence three additional times at ten-second intervals to ensure a secure hold. With Built-In Wave Absorption, Talon's spike remains securely locked to the bottom in rough water conditions.

With no hydraulics, Talon is easy and less expensive to install, and doesn't take up valuable storage space. Talon's versatility of adjustments, both vertically and front/back tilt (30 degrees), allows it to be mounted to any boat configuration without the need of additional shims.

When not in use, the lightweight Talon can be easily taken off the boat, thanks to its Quick Release Bracket (comes standard).

Operating from the boat's existing battery setup, Talon vertically deploys the spike, without fish-spooking noise. To gauge the depth of the deployed spike, the angler can simply glance at the unit's LED indicator lights which display deployment in one-foot increments. When ready to move to the next location, Talon's notification alarm warns users if they start their outboard engine while the spike is still deployed.

Taken from their press release of July 2010 - http://www.minnkotamotors.com/company/pressroom/current/07-2010-Talon.aspx

Minn Kota

I'm responding to this post and the video referenced, since it brings into question the performance of our Talon Shallow Water Anchor.  Based on thousands of hours of testing in real life fishing situations, we are 100 percent confident Talon performs at a level above and beyond any product currently on the market. We stand behind the years of research and development we have put into this product. I welcome your comments by contacting me at jbrown@johnsonoutdoors.com.

Joe Brown
Minn Kota Marketing Director

Wolverines

Quote from: Minn Kota on February 03, 2011, 06:24:24 PM
I'm responding to this post and the video referenced, since it brings into question the performance of our Talon Shallow Water Anchor.  Based on thousands of hours of testing in real life fishing situations, we are 100 percent confident Talon performs at a level above and beyond any product currently on the market. We stand behind the years of research and development we have put into this product. I welcome your comments by contacting me at jbrown@johnsonoutdoors.com.

Joe Brown

Obviously you back your product.  I personally love the fact that you've taken the time to respond to the video in question...
I would really like to hear more about what you think is going on in that video such as is the Talon being used properly?  As I said before, my biggest concern is can the Talon get stuck as it is claimed in that video?
Plan Early for Fall of 2012!!!  Check out the NBAA Lake Michigan Fall Challenge:
http://www.nbaa-bass.com/pages/divisions/div_details12.php?division_id=217

TCook

Quote from: Minn Kota on February 03, 2011, 06:24:24 PM

Joe Brown

Its great that minn kota took the time to respond but that just reads as a vague statement that anyone would say to back there product. What us fishermen need minn kota to do is put up an UNBIASED video proving that the talon has the same holding power as the power poll in bad conditions. Maybe hire a couple boat owners that have no connection to either company to run some similar tests with a camera man.
FISH HARD!!!

djkimmel

Each company has their own preference for how they market. I'm much more impressed that Minn Kota took the time to come on here and say if you have questions, here's my personal email address. Please email your comments / questions directly to me.

I would ask that you take advantage of the opportunity and email Joe Brown directly with your comments if you want to be sure they are seen. Although I have mentioned many times that industry people do check in here to see what comments are going on, it is not a daily thing, nor can we expect to always get a personal response on a thread considering all the websites and threads out there.

I'm pretty happy a marketing director of a large company took that time to provide a direct contact opportunity to anyone who has comments or questions about their products. That is their preference in how to handle comments and questions. If you are serious about being heard and possibly getting a response, take him up on the offer. It's a good opportunity.

djkimmel

Personally, I'm more than a little surprised that any intelligent person would put too much belief into a video so easily where the maker is unknown, a stranger, and there's even a possibility that it is a purposefully misleading video. That sure isn't how I make my purchase decisions.

peters_skeeter

you know whats funny? That video "talon vs power pole" is no longer on Youtube. Wonder what happened. ::)
A pessimist curses the wind...
A optimist waits for the wind to change...
But a realist adjust his sails...

Puma

I currently have a Power Pole and love it, however, the Talon was not around last year when I put my PP on or I would have looked at one.  Minn Kota has a reputation for making a quality unit and I am sure this is no exception.  As far as less moving parts, I am not sure about that, they both need an electric motor, and a drive of some kind.  One drive the hydraulic pump, while the other drive the SCR, linear actuator or ?? of the Talon.  There may be less in the mechanical side, with the design of the PP deployment articulate. 
Being in hydraulics all of my life, I know that you cannot compress oil, and with the correct valving, the PP will not move, and that does seem to be the case with mine. There needs to be a small amount of 'slop' in the design of an SCR or linear actuator control, which to me would mean a little better holding lock for the PP.  The Talon seems to address that with the shock absorber design.
If you have a short garage door, as some of my friends, then you will need to remove the Talon each time you put the boat away. Still I like the thought of not having an extra power unit in the back of my boat, (except I have considered taping into that unit for other ideas to be used on the boat).
If I was in the market for one this year, I would get my hands on a Talon and see it first hand before making any decisions.
Just my two cents...

mikesmiph

A lot of talk about going under bridges, and getting in garages. Let me know if I'm seeing this wrong, but every picture I've seen of the Talon mounted on a boat, it doesnt stick up as far as the motor. Where is the problem getting under stuff if its lower than the motor?