Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:05:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

New used bass boat

Started by LipRip, January 03, 2011, 07:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LipRip

I'm in the market for a new used boat and an almost positive I'm going to get an 05 or 06 skeeter zx225. So, my question is....what are your guys opinions on the zx225?

I really want to get a boat with a yam HPDI. I've has two mercs and wouldn't pay a dollar for another one....the opti are especially junk.

I considered a ranger, but they're quite a bit more expensive and I would have to get an older one with an opti or an OX66, I don't really know much about the ETecs, to offset the price difference.

I also considered a Triton, but they're all built with mercs and i don't want another merc headache. I've heard that the the new pro xs are faster than a HPDI and are not a huge pos motor, but that's ok because the yam will fire up when you turn the key!

Champs are in the same category as rangers.

So i guess when I'm looking for is this. A boat that has an HPDI yamaha motor on it that's 20ft long and not older than an 04. Its gotta be able to handle st. clair but he able to get skinny enough for inland lakes. Its gotta run 70mph + and not say mercury anywhere on it!

A zx225 right?

Maybe I'm bias because other than my astro and the alumacraft my dad used to own, a skeeter is the only other bass boat i've fished out of. I dunno!

Let me know what your thoughts are!

LAPORTE

I'm thinking you don't like Merc's ...lol

Maybe Skip Johnson will chime in he has a skeeter like myself or McCarter. MY boat is only an 186 so I can't tell you much about the boat. But I sure love my Yammie even though it was blown when I bought it. I think they all have issues every now and again. only you have to be comfortable with it...
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

fishstick

Why are you even posting this lol you know your going to get a skeeter!!! I'm excited to look at your new bug when you bring it home! You will like it!  ;D

LipRip

haha ya mr. laporte, haven't had good luck with them.

Its a big purchase jeff, gotta do the proper research!!!

Team houston

Madwags has or had a skeeter. I rode in it once in a BFL. I really liked it. Maybe he will chime in also.

LAPORTE

Quote from: LipRip on January 04, 2011, 09:28:10 AM
haha ya mr. laporte, haven't had good luck with them.

Its a big purchase jeff, gotta do the proper research!!!

That is what I was getting at. Take your time. ;)  You are the one that has to be happy with the purchase. It's alotta  cash to part with. 

Mike S.

I have ridden in a few boats with the Yam's on them.  The first one was LGMOUTH's 20I, with a 250.  What a ride.  Boat held the water really nice, and was fast.  That was the fastest boat I've ever been on.  I've been out on Eric Smith's Stratos a couple of times, it has a 225, I think.  Lots of power, ran great, and he is very happy with it.  It's got alot of run time on it.  Rode in 2 Tritons that were Yam powered.  Wasn't particularly impressed with the boats themselves, no offense to the owners.  They were nice boats, just didn't have the leg room I like.  But anyhow, the Yamaha motors are strong, and from what I've heard from the owners, very reliable.  Good luck man.  Big decision when you're throwing down that kind of cash.  Be patient, and you'll find the right rig.

Hooksetter

I rode in a Skeeter I-Class, I think a 20', With a Yamaha HPDI series 2 250hp on and was very impressed with it. Great holeshot, great ride, lots of room and storage. I think it was a 2007. If I was in the market for a newer boat I would give it alot of consideration.

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

McCarter

buy an Allison, sissy!

McCarter himself :-\'

LAPORTE

peters_skeeter

I got a zx200 w/ a 200 hpdi series 2. It doesn't matter whether it is 90 degrees or 40 degrees out, that motor turns over on the first crank. No priming, no choking, don't have to give it gas. vvvrrroooom. It's running. The best top speed I got out of it was 67mph, which is good for me. The boat handles 2-3 footers good, but I get a little nervous in anything rougher. In three footers, I skipp across the top of the waves, the boat is very soild and handles very nicely. Take your time and do your home work. The fun is in the hunt for a new boat.
A pessimist curses the wind...
A optimist waits for the wind to change...
But a realist adjust his sails...

MadWags

:o Skeeter for Life! :o

I love my Skeeter. :-*

Anyway, the ZX Series is a great design as are all Skeeters.
My first Skeeter was a ZX200. I beat the living tar out of that thing and it stayed strong. Had to refasten the top deck at one point but that was about it.
I now own a 2004 FX210. They have recently revived the FX brand but the hull is a totally new design from mine intended for use with the new Yamaha SHO.

The FX210 that I own was designed as a rough water ride for bigger lakes. The hull is deeper than the ZX and alot heavier. It was designed for 250hp and the last year of production, I think 2005 it was rated for 300hp. They discontinued the FX210 hull and used a modified version of the mold for the IClass series. Or so I was told by a Skeeter dealer once at a show.

Roy Randolph runs the ZX250.

All Skeeters can run in extremely shallow water, including mine.
The hole shot is well above average and my big 21ft hull can jump on plane in 2ft of water.

Skeeter is owned by Yamaha. I run the 250HPDI and find the reliability second to none.
I would never consider any other motor. That is my personal opinion. I have owned Merc, Mariner, Evinrude, Johnson and Suzuki. Many of the motors I have owned were the best in their day. Today I would buy VMAX HPDI or the new SHO.

For what its worth, your purchase consideration has the MadWags seal of approval. ::)
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

thedude

i rode in a legend le21 with a merc racing opti (250hp) and it went 80mph with no jack plate. I might add me and BigJC were in it (and thats like 600lbs of dudes).
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

LipRip

Quote from: MadWags on January 04, 2011, 10:28:16 PM
For what its worth, your purchase consideration has the MadWags seal of approval. ::)

Haha, thats all I needed!   ::)

jim 2row

I have a zx202 with 200 yamaha, does everything I need. Runs about 65 to 70. I dont know about the bouncing over the tops of 3 footers but takes twos ok. Had a buddy that claims he rode in the new bass cat and said it was the nicest riding boat hes ever been in, and he has fished in them all in the bfls.

LipRip

I have heard some real good things about bass cats also. But, I could never justify spending that much money on something that ugly! sry basscat lovers.

Here's my next question. If i decide to buy a boat from a private seller in the next few weeks, how am I to know that the motor runs? Its not like I can have him get the hose out and hook up the ears real quick before everything freezes. I just thought about that today and I dont see a way around it other than taking the sellers word for it that the engine runs well.

any ideas?

champion_206

If you are serious about the boat your looking at, ask if you can have it checked out by a dealer , they can do a compression test, print out of the motor (hrs on motor, etc.) they  will most likely charge a hr of labor to do that for you.
(Certified Evinrude Mechanic) Anglers Marine, Evinrude, Champion Boats,Crooked Creek Pro Staff

Performance Tuned

If you don't like Mercs, then you're a moron!!!!! LOL!!!!

JL

Bass Cats are Ugly.

As you know I own a ZX225.  Look out for stress cracks or chips around the jackplate, this is common on zx's.  If you can, get one that has the newer dash panel, otherwise you will be replacing it at some point and they are not cheap.  If you plan on fishing the great lakes a lot (not just Portage and Kent every week), I would go with a ZX 250, if you can swing it.  The extra foot and heavier weight will make a difference in rough water.  Other than that it should be a reliable solid boat for you.

LipRip

I have been looking at the zx250's, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of them for sale. Do they get a skinny as the zx225's?

LOL, Mercs.