Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 09:02:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Which type of stick or ring worm do you prefer?

Started by River Rat, December 28, 2010, 08:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

River Rat

There are too many options and independent opinions to make this a poll so here we go:

Do you prefer a floating bait that you add your own weight, when/if needed?  This type of bait can be made more subtle and soft for lots of action and movement while still having a lot of salt.

Do you like a bait that has a slow, steady fall rate with a moderate amount of salt and "stuff"?

Do you prefer a heavily salted and "weighty" bait that drops like a rock?  This bait can sometimes be not as soft do to the increased amount of salt.

Just thoughts that have come up while making and testing different baits thru the year.  I'm not really interested in jumping into the stick bait market as it is very crowded and I am a GY senko fan.

Scott
Dearborn, MI and Lake Wales, FL

fasttrack

Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

Waterfoul

Grab yourself a bag of Nemesis Sickos.  That's what I like.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

McCarter

I like a soft worm because fish will hang onto it longer which is important when you are fishing a slack line technique.  i also like the worm to fall a little slower.  We are always reading about the "strike zone" in magazines or hearing the pros talk about keeping your bait in the strike zone.  Thats why when i started pouring my own baits i worked tirelessly to get a recipe that combined softness, action, and a sink rate a touch slower than what everyone else was offering.  Its not for everyone.  Most people want to use a senko or something identicle to it and thats fine.  I like to fish behind those guys and pick up the fish they miss.  To each his own thats what i always say.

MBell

Softer is better.  My favorites were the old Yammamoto Senkos.  The new ones with "GYCB" on the bait are grabage IMO.
-Matt

Mike S.

I was introduced to the soft, slow falling baits last year by a friend of mine, and I have to say, that is the way to go.  I am hooked on them.  I just had to learn patience in order to start catching fish on them.

dartag

Ring Worm  Ewww  I had that once.  glad it went away.    I do like fishing senkos on my lake with an un-weighted hook when it is really  calm.  you can watch it fall and see the smallies inhale it.

Hooksetter

I pour my own so I pour heavy, medium and lightly salted sticks and let the fish tell me what they prefer. I always start with the heavier ones first, just because they have always been my best producers and they skip better.

I adjust the formula to try to maintain the same softness regardless of salt content. They are not exactly the same but I got it pretty close. ;)

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

fiker

It depends. 
On water clarity, fish mood, technique, (Wacky vs. Texas) and the amount of wind.   I seldom use stick worms with a weight.

My favorite all around bait is a 4" Yum Dinger.  When fish are aggressive, this is the least expensive alternative.  I can catch a lot of fish on one bait.  Usually.  I use these more Texas rigged than Wacky, but sometimes do that too.   

I use the Nemesis Sickos a lot.  Almost as much as the Dingers.  The action of the bait seems to trigger fish when they won't bite anything else.  That soft wiggle they have when falling works very well.   I use these for both Texas, and Wacky rigging.  They also work real well when used Wacky with a Jackall ichy wacky jig head.  Great on windy days.

I have also seen times when the X worms from Xtreme work the best. They are a little denser, and sink a little different, with a little diff. wiggle as they fall.  I use these primarily Texas rigged weightless. 

I've never used a GY Senko.  There's something about the price I just don't like.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Flippin222

For me it depends on where I am fishing. If fishing shallow I always use the Nemisis Sickos. They sink a little slower and it helps keep that little wiggle in the zone a bit longer. Of course shallow is a relative term (3 feet or less for me).

When in mid depth (3-8), I will generally switch to the GY Senkos.

Any deeper and it is back to the Nemisis with a weighted wacky hook or belly weighted texas rig.
Don't sweat the petty things; Don't pet the sweaty things