Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:49:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Cabelas 5 Day Holiday Sales for great savings!

Started by djkimmel, November 26, 2010, 01:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

THIS SALE IS OVER

Cabela's Sale Black Friday Through Tuesday after Cyber Monday!

But try the new Cabela's HOT BUYS - 25 Days of Deals!! Expires 12/25/2010.

OFFER NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Always check the Cabelas Bargain Cave often for big savings!

OFFER NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

HUGE Bargain Cave Savings!

SOLD OUT

All prices subject to change without notice.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

That $699 seems like a pretty good deal for a side imaging unit! I'm going to get one too one of these days. It's on the big wish list in the back of the drawer.

Firefighter Jeff

I'm not very educated on these nicer graphs.  Does this version have the down scan or do you need to add it and what does that cost??  Thanks in advancec anyone.  lol

Eric

It should have downscan installed already.  But if it doesn't, it is a free download from the HB website.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

McCarter

i bought mine cheap, but not this cheap.  this is a crazy good deal.  anyone who is wanting one should be jumping on this price.  i will say that mine has already paid for itself twice.  well worth the money.

McCarter himself :-\'

djkimmel

Yeah Baby! I double-checked because it is the lowest price I've seen so far. I thought maybe it was a typo! But it is a limited offer. I'd buy one in a heart beat if I still had the regular job income coming in. But I don't... so I'll wait a while.

BUT every time I've been in a boat that has side imaging I'm amazed at the amount of information you can collect in a hurry with EXACT positioning easy to get!! Every time I see one, I think of 10 more ways I could use one to improve my fishing efficiency. Almost all the boats of the really good anglers I get to fish with have at least one on them now! That is probably the number one statement of how amazing this technology is!!! Just amazing!

djkimmel

They also have Tru Tungsten® Tru-Life 4" Swimbaits on sale for only $11.88! A lot of great anglers are keeping these baits under wraps I'm finding out too. Just click one of the links above and go to the Bargain Cave.

djkimmel

They appear to still have the Humminbird Side Imaging 798ci units in stock!

SOLD OUT

Firefighter Jeff

Ok, more dumb questions.  I'll try to look this up on my own but if you want to respond I'll read them.  lolol  Is this the unit that has a 5inch screen I believe???  In an ideal world would you have one at the dash and one at the TM???  I don't fish tournaments, but since I have been trying to get to St. Clair a couple times a year and other bigger waters I thought they would increase my fun.  :)  Right now I have nothing with GPS   A Lowrance 135 in the dash and a Eagle 640 I believe it is on the TM.  I defintily want the gps and mapping features.  Think I need the SI  ???  I know in the best scenario I'd have big expensive graphs, but like I said I don't tourney fish or have a bunch of extra cash.  lolol  I do have $1,100 saved up so it's a good start.  Thanks guys. 

Firefighter Jeff

Another question,  The information on the link Dan supplied stated in the text it had an internal gps but the picture shows it saying external, Is there something incorrect???  Is external the seperate gizzmo I used to see on the early units???Thanks

McCarter

external units use a "puck" which is a small disc shaped reciever.

internal units have a reciever built right into the unit.

there are pro and cons to having both.

i ended up with an internal unit which is ok but i would much rather have the external.  now, if something does go wrong with the internal reciever, i have to send the whole unit in.  if i had the external, i could just buy another reciever and send the bad one it to get repaired and use it as a spare in the future.  external also give you the luxury of picking where you stick it.

Just my $.01

McCarter himself :-\'

Eric

If I had it to do over again, I don't think I would go with a SI unit at the bow.  I rarely find myself using the SI at the bow.  Down imaging and GPS for sure, but not so sure about SI up front.   
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

djkimmel

I like the idea of having complete flexibility in perfect world (with my wife having two full-time jobs ;D ).

The 798 is the regular size screen - 5"

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: Eric on November 27, 2010, 10:16:15 PM
If I had it to do over again, I don't think I would go with a SI unit at the bow.  I rarely find myself using the SI at the bow.  Down imaging and GPS for sure, but not so sure about SI up front.    

Yeah Eric my brother feels the same.  If you are on the TM I bet the 5inch screen is hard to see in side imaging mode.  I think I'm leaning towards a SI at the dash and interlinking to a non SI at the TM.  Did I use the right terminology?  lolol

My brother mentioned he wished he had the money to get one bigger than the 5inch.  I thought about doing that also, but is the next size up around 2K???  I'm thinking for what I do and fish the 5inch might be ok.  That way with the money I have saved and selling my existing units I could come close to covering the costs of the two I want.

I did some research.  Looks like there is a 800 series with a biger screen. I coldn't find one with the internal gps.

djkimmel

SethV

You really want the external antenna if possible.  Mount that GPS puck right above the transducer.  If you have an internal GPS and your unit is at the console and the transducer is at the transom, you have 10'+ error right away.  20' if you approach later from the opposite direction.

The 5" screen works for SI, but it really is small.  I like my 998's, but if they had a wider screen i would buy it.  The taller 1198 does not give much benifit, as it is width that counts most.  I think about a 32" LCD flat screen would work nice!   ;D

Bender

Quote from: SethV on November 29, 2010, 07:25:54 AM
I think about a 32" LCD flat screen would work nice!   ;D
Doesn't the 998 have a video out? I have confidence that you can make this work with a 55" LCD TV and a remote control that recesses it into the deck when you are under way.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

djkimmel

How about a screen on the deck that you can also fish on?!?

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: SethV on November 29, 2010, 07:25:54 AM
You really want the external antenna if possible.  Mount that GPS puck right above the transducer.  If you have an internal GPS and your unit is at the console and the transducer is at the transom, you have 10'+ error right away.  20' if you approach later from the opposite direction.

The 5" screen works for SI, but it really is small.  I like my 998's, but if they had a wider screen i would buy it.  The taller 1198 does not give much benifit, as it is width that counts most.  I think about a 32" LCD flat screen would work nice!   ;D

Thanks for the great information Seth.  Makes sense about trying to put the puck right by the transducer.  Some of the research I have done stated that the picture on a larger model say 800 series didn't have as good a picture as the 798.  Anyone have any thoughts or experience??  I might hold out and try for a 800 series si.  I hear the 2011 might have better clarity.