Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:56:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

New security changes in effect

Started by djkimmel, September 21, 2010, 01:25:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Ok, I've installed two super sneaky, secret security changes that might make it a little easier for real anglers to register on the forum while making it a lot harder for bots (programs designed to automatically create users and post spam crap in this case) and dumber non-angler spammers to get on the forum or have their scummy posts show up.

If you have any trouble posting for you existing members, or registering - if you read this as a guest - for new members trying to join, please contact me and let me know. I did not see any issues in my tests, but I can't always think of all the things a person might do.

I've already seen about a 50% or better drop with other changes and since going to the new web server. I'd like to see it drop by about 95% since these spammers are driving me crazy with their stubborn, pigheaded determination to get on here!!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

MadWags

Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

LAPORTE

Have you put any Mithi -I- 0 -lade on the rash yet wags ...lol
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Skulley

Mags, might I suggest Preparation H for that problem??

BD.                   ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

dartag

is there going to be a secret hand shake.  maybe a GLB decoder ring.

djkimmel

Only if I have too....

Hang in there Wags. I seen on a movie where they can grow skin back by shooting slightly greasy solar atoms or some such thing at you... You can probably look it up on the Internet!!

No spammers so far this morning at all though someone from 202.78.85.35 (somewhere in the Philippines - we're big there) was disappointed in their hard work and efforts!!  :'(

I had reduced their signups but was still getting 3 to 7 every morning yet down from 10 to 16 not that long ago. So many vulnerable web sites out there though. Sometimes when I search for how many forums a spammer's email shows up on I find pages and pages of them, 10 web sites per page.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Waterfoul

The movie to which you were refering is "The Fifth Element" staring Bruce Willis and that Milovich (sp?) chick.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

MadWags

Quote from: UAWBigDog on September 21, 2010, 11:57:05 AM

BD.                   ;D

I had half my colon removed so I am good. But prep H still has its value. Does anyone know the alternate use of this wonder drug?

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

Redbone

I'm ok with the secret handshake. Maybe a "Head Nod" like in the movie Fight club.

djkimmel

Quote from: MadWags on September 21, 2010, 05:52:18 PM
Quote from: UAWBigDog on September 21, 2010, 11:57:05 AM

BD.                   ;D

I had half my colon removed so I am good. But prep H still has its value. Does anyone know the alternate use of this wonder drug?

Poor ladies facelift...??

djkimmel

Quote from: Redbone on September 21, 2010, 08:30:27 PM
I'm ok with the secret handshake. Maybe a "Head Nod" like in the movie Fight club.

I've whipped off an email to the Masons. I'm sure they can come up with some suggestions!!

Skulley

Quote from: MadWags on September 21, 2010, 05:52:18 PM

Reducing puffy eyes, male models use it for toning up their abs for photo shoots, and for tattoos when they are first drawn on the skin.  It constricts the blood vessels and that is why it is so good for hemorrhoids. For now that is my final answer.       :o

BD                           ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

I think it is actually very fitting to end a post about @%#$!$#% spammers talking about hemorrhoids!!

Skulley

So essentially what your saying here DK is.........may all the spammers get hemorrhoids!! :o

BD.                                 ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

'are' not 'get' ;D

Only one spammer has gotten even signed up since I made the chance. Much nicer. Many are not even trying to create a membership now. Not sure exactly how that is working but it must be something in their evil software (that companies actually sell openly on the Internet  >:( ). It appears the one spammer that got through failed to create an automated member and then came and signed on manually using a different source. Only some non-posting link spam that was deleted and reported with no harm done.

So much nicer not having all those bad sign-ups to report and delete every day. Now it is just a matter of wondering how long before they figure this one out...? I do have one other surprise waiting for them though...  :-X

It is remotely possible that a post someone makes might be temporarily blocked. I did apologize to one member this has happened to. Only 1 so far. If you post and get a message to the affect that your post is blocked, please contact me or just wait a short time and I will check it and fix. Please don't take it personal. I really do want to make this as transparent and painless to all of you as I can. The mechanism is supposed to be pretty good according to my sources so I hope it is very minimal. Thanks for your patience, understanding and participation!

MadWags

Dan,

Try the Prep H on the new server. This will shrink the porthole thus making it more difficult for the spammers to enter the site thru the back door.(if you know what i mean)

djkimmel

Not a bad idea... I've been asking around for some skin cream for you! ;D

djkimmel

One other great thing about the new server is my email is running a lot smoother. I can more easily and quickly send out the occasional 'does your mother know what you are doing' email to these trouble makers!! ;D