Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:13:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Monster Sheephead

Started by Eric, August 26, 2010, 11:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

Not much to report on the bass fishing today, so I'll tell you all that I caught a drum that weighed 17-4.  I have never seen one anywhere close to that big.  I got it drop shotting a nemesis goby.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

djkimmel

WHERE'S THE PICTURES???!!?? That is a monster. Rare to get one that big. Muskegon Lake is the only place I know of where bigger ones have been caught and weighed a few times.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Eric

We had no camera on the boat and neither of our phones would take pictures.  Which probably makes it just another fish story.  I hope I can catch a 5 bass limit that weighs as much as that one sheephead did.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

dartag

how did it taste.  I hear they taste like chicken.

billy8878

I caught one 2 weeks ago on St. Clair that went at least 10 lbs. When I first caught a glimpse of it I thought, Oh my god, this is the Michigan record smallmouth. Disappointing when it came boatside but still fun. I wish I would have taken a picture of it.

bassboss

I caught a monster in Muskegon a few years ago in september on a crank bait. I got all excited, thought I tied into a salmon since we were fishing by the muskegon river mouth. It probably went into the low teens. Not the fish I'm normally after but a good fight anyway!

32eml24

If you went out and actually fished for them in Lake Macatawa you'd be almost garaunteed to get one that big.  Not to take anything away from your monster drum because it's still a monster, just saying.  Lake Macatawa probably has more sheephead than anything else.  I attached a picture of one my brother caught this summer which was 18.2!

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: 32eml24 on August 27, 2010, 09:45:26 AM
If you went out and actually fished for them in Lake Macatawa you'd be almost garaunteed to get one that big.  Not to take anything away from your monster drum because it's still a monster, just saying.  Lake Macatawa probably has more sheephead than anything else.  I attached a picture of one my brother caught this summer which was 18.2!

Now THAT is a big ugly  !!!!!!

Firefighter Jeff

Quote from: djkimmel on August 26, 2010, 11:49:08 PM
WHERE'S THE PICTURES???!!?? That is a monster. Rare to get one that big. Muskegon Lake is the only place I know of where bigger ones have been caught and weighed a few times.

My brother and I were fishing Muskegon years ago for walleye and he snagged a huge carp.  Had to be pushing 40 pounds.  It was dragging the boat to lake Michigan til we got it tired out !!!   lololol      :D   :D   :D

Mike S.

My biggest one was just shy of 10 lbs.  I was talking to my wife on the phone, while I was running a crankbait in the hot water hole.  Needless to say, I wasn't paying much attention, and almost lost a rod.  I love it when they slam a crank!  It's awesome.

djkimmel

What's weird about sheephead is they seem to hit different baits in different locations sometimes. I rarely get them on jerkbaits anywhere except Spring Lake. I rarely catch them on spinnerbaits except for Saginaw Bay.

Of course crankbaits and especially jigging spoons and blade baits work pretty good on them just about anywhere!!

This is a toad cameraguy caught while we were fishing Lake Hamilton in Hot Springs Arkansas

The biggest ones I've caught are: 1) at the mouth of the Saginaw River; 2) a secret spot on Lake Erie that only gives up 10+ pounders (I'm saving in case sheepheadmasters ever takes off and has bigtime tournaments!); 3) Kentucky Lake under one of the big bridges - whoppers (though I also caught a few toads in the channel between Kentucky and Barkley too). They always wear me out on Erie! I watch Clapper, Trombly and Balog mainly to learn their secret for not catching too many sheepies...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fiker

I wonder...... do they do a Master Angler award for sheeps head?
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

billy8878

ya, there is a master angler award for all species of fish. I forget what the minimum length/lbs are for the sheephead. I thought about it after I released mine that I should have measured and took pics just for the award.

djkimmel

If you can get one for a dogfish,  you can get one for a sheephead!

Mike S.

I was just over at my dad's house, and we were showing my son "The fishing book".  It's all the pics my dad has from the last 40 years of his fishing.  Anyways, he has a pic of a 30 pound sheephead he caught, I think he said it was from Mona Lake.  I will have to scan it and post it up.  It's huge.

EKennedy

Michigan record looks to be about 26lbs.  Wisconsin record caught on the Mississippi River is 35 lbs.  I've heard that they can go over 40lbs.  That's a really BIG ugly fish!

djkimmel

Yeah! I could use the if I ever start greatlakessheephead.com!! That's bigger than the state record!

Mike S.

Quote from: djkimmel on August 29, 2010, 02:51:34 PM
Yeah! I could use the if I ever start greatlakessheephead.com!! That's bigger than the state record!
Greatlakessheephead.com?  No, no, no.  Do you think people would actually post on it?  I will have to get that pic up soon.

djkimmel

I'm sure someone would. It's not high up on my list, but... I already have my first pre-signed member for whenever I get greatlakesdogfish.com going!!

Mike S.

Greatlakesdogfish!  Hahahahahahahaha!!!!