Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:34:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

transducer mount ???'s

Started by lakes, August 17, 2010, 06:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lakes

Triton 18ft. with step transom, I have 1 day to get things operational.  Can not determine where the 200mhz tranducer should go, called and emailed  D & R (Mich)-- no response???
Several other web sites, same results, nada!
Question is simple, I want to mount HDS transom transducer above the step transom on the Triton.
Will HDS function at full speed, or lose it.  Will the same location work once side scan is in operation?
I love/hate technology for sure!

Skulley

200mhz is 200 megahertz or 200 million cycles per second.  If I was the make a guesstimate, I would say that the HDS should function at full speed.  The transducer is sending 200 million cycles of digital signal to the bottom of the lake and back to the transducer every one second. That is one heckuva lot.  Very high speed.  So that you don't lose the bottom, the transducer needs to be in the water while the boat is running at full speed.  You would probably be better served to try to mount that as deep as you can on the transom.  That means try to mount it below the step.  If you can't, then you risk the possibility of losing the depth reading when on plane at any speed because the of interference or distortion.  A flasher with an in-hull transducer better serves depth finding when running.  

My Hummingbird 565 has a setting in the menu to correct for how deep the transducer is mounted.  In other words if I mount it 6 inches below the waterline of the boat, I enter -0.5 ft.  If I mount it 12 inches below the waterline, I enter the correction of -1.0 feet.  I don't know if your unit has that correction or not.  It actually works pretty good.  My 565 also has 640 vertical pixels of resolution that enables me to see better.  The unit is a 200 kHz which is only 200,000 cycles per second.  My vertical resolution makes up for some of that speed, however it is all about how fast the signal returns to its origin.  

A flasher with an in-hull transducer better serves depth finding when running.  

Why don't you call the toll free customer service number on the owners manual and ask them where you should mount it.  To me, no one would know better than the manufacturer.  They also have a website more than likely and you could click on the "contact us" link.  D & R is a retail store, not a manufacturer.  They may know, but I would call the experts.  The manufacturer of the electronics is the expert I would want to educate me and I am sure that is who you would want to educate you.  

Good Luck.   :D

BD                            ;D    
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

lakes

OK, point well taken, I am far from a elect. engineer, albeit sound engineer.
I still need mounting advice, we are planning on drilling Sat am, we have a game plan, but I feel it is weak, and do not want to make a mistake, common you guys know what I am going thru!

Help, last minutes ahead!
LAKES

Skulley

You may want to contact your boat manufacturer to find out where the thickest part of the transom is. Use the shortest screws you can get away with. You certainly should use a real short drill bit too. I used the screws provided in the mounting kit on mine. Coat your screw with a marine epoxy to seal up around the threads. There is no such thing as overkill just over drill.  :o.      Good Luck!!

BD.           ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

lakes

mostly worried about water flow and not creating turbulence, afraid to mount in a location and losing signal.

lakes

fiker

Don't know if this helps but..... when talking to Humminbird, they suggested I use double dised tape and check out the transducer location while on the water using that. Not sure how that would hold up though at high speed. 

I can tell you this though, to use the Humminbird SI head (Ie 898 SI) I need a second high speed transducer.
I'll have that one glassed into the transom.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

lakes

I am now totally bummed, all plans for this morning will have to wait for maybe 2 months.  I ruptured my Achilles tendon completely yesterday afternoon, dang those office picnic's!!!
Scheduling surgery with Dr. Monday afternoon.
It sucks getting old! Especially thinking your body is still in it's 20-30's, and you are in your mid 50's.  I now have another project to worry about, my love will have to wait!

Thanks to all who responded!
Lakes

Skulley

In 2 months it will be time to put the boat up for the winter.  You should be more careful.  I am 51 years young and I don't try to do anything that is intended for the young.  In other words, I have grown wimpy in my old age.  Even though I have a 10 year old son that I am trying to keep up with, I know what my capabilities are.  That is how I avoid serious injury.  But I think you know that by now.  Anyway, the men on this forum are always happy to help and if you have any questions about mounting the transducer or anything else that you are working on, don't hesitate to ask.  We are always happy to help.  Get well soon.  We hope to see you on the water sooner rather than later.  Stick to fishing because the worse things that can happen are putting a hook through your finger, falling off the boat, etc., etc., etc.  Take care.   ;)

BD                       ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com