Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:06:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Crankin rods

Started by McCarter, August 09, 2010, 01:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

I can buy three really good crankbait rods that I will catch a ton of bass on for that money. WITH a lifetime warranty.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

MadWags

Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

Hooksetter

I also have 2 Loomis graphite cranking rods and would put them up against any other cranking rod out there. I have tried a few other brands but the Loomis are tops in my book. That being said, I will not be buying any more Loomis rods as I just can't justify the cost anymore.

I have not tried Grandt cranking rods yet, maybe I will pick one up over the winter to try.

Now, not to hijack the thread, but how did Loomis change their warranty?

Willie
Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

Mike S.

I have the Tour KVD rod that just came out this year.  I bought the 7' 2" MH rod.  I also bought the 7.3:1 KVD Tour bait caster.  I like the combo.  The rod may be a little on the heavy side.  I guess it just depends on the person.  I bought it mainly for spinnerbaits, and had a heavier line on it than I normally use.  I just recently swithched to a 10 pound test line, and started throwing cranks on it.  I like it, but it was a $217 rod.

LennyB

Just won a Loomis CBR855c GLX for $220 "Brand New" on Ebay (MSRP $385) That's the way to buy them. They are top notch rods.

Mojo

while we are on the crankin stick conversation - What causes smallish to become unbuttoned on cranks ? Could it be the stick ? line ? treble hooks ? Chime in.

What do you do to minimize losing fish ?? (Asking for a friend of course  ::)  )
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Cheetam

Quote from: Mojo on August 13, 2010, 12:09:34 AM
while we are on the crankin stick conversation - What causes smallish to become unbuttoned on cranks ? Could it be the stick ? line ? treble hooks ? Chime in.

What do you do to minimize losing fish ?? (Asking for a friend of course  ::)  )
Yes to all.  For me, don't horse the fish to the boat, let the rod play the fish, and loosen the drag if you have to while playing the fish.
Jeff

thedude

the rod helps fight the fish - but if you don't play them well to begin with, it doesn't matter.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

bob o

don't leave out the reel, your drag setting also plays a big roll in the too. a more limber rod will also give the fish "room to play" by flexing more.

Cheetam

Quote from: thedude on August 13, 2010, 09:52:40 AM
the rod helps fight the fish - but if you don't play them well to begin with, it doesn't matter.
Exactly, don't horse the fish to the boat.
Jeff

Waterfoul

Oh come on.... set the hook, ski em to the boat!!! 
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

MadWags

Sometimes you just live and die by the crank. If the fish doesn't eat it well they can use the body of the bait as leverage to disengage themselves. Especially on bigger body baits like the DD22. I never lose fish on a crank. ::)
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

Mojo

Ahhlolololol !  !! Well if I ever catch on a crank bait I'll remember all these fine insights .....  ;D
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

LennyB

Keep enough pressure on the fish so he can't shake it but so much you rip them out. Also, how ever you fish in practice, fish that way in the tournament. If you are using alot of pressure in practice don't baby them in the tournament. If your not using a net in the tournament don't practice with it. I talked to multiple accomplished tournament anglers and found most will agree.

bassassasin88

I have the KVD 7'11" crankin stick and I love it. [REMOVED - see No Links Policy List] has a few 20% off sales every year. It's hard to pick up a 7 footer after using the 7 11.

bassinman#1

Believe it or not, I use a 6 foot uglystick medium action and catch bass all the time without losing them. Every once in awhile I will lose one but not alot with this rod.

bassboss

I have two of the David Fritts signature series from basspro. I have a 6,6 and the 7,6. Both are nice rods and with 10lb line i can throw the small square lipped baits all the way up to the big norman dd22. They are made by American Rodsmiths.

Skulley

Quote from: bassboss on August 18, 2010, 03:42:16 PM
I have two of the David Fritts signature series from basspro. I have a 6,6 and the 7,6. Both are nice rods and with 10lb line i can throw the small square lipped baits all the way up to the big norman dd22. They are made by American Rodsmiths.

I have the American Rodsmith models of the Fritts Signature Series.  I have three (3) of them.  I also have 4 of the old Browning David Fritts Crankin Stick.  Those were even more sensitive than the American Rodsmith models.  Don't get me wrong, I like the American Rodsmith version, but the Browning version was a better rod for the money for throwing big deep divers.  I have thrown DD22's on them as well as the Storm Mag Wart and the big jumbo Bomber.  I think it was called the 9A.  There is no better rod than either one of those for throwing big cranks.

BD                        ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

32eml24

I have an All Star and love it.

smbassman

Quote from: bob o on August 13, 2010, 10:14:32 AM

don't leave out the reel, your drag setting also plays a big roll in the too. a more limber rod will also give the fish "room to play" by flexing more.

Also depends on the depth of the bait/water.  6' and less I use a flipping stick, heavy line and good triple grip hooks.  When they bite that shallow, they head for the surface and will also charge the boat getting slack in the line.  I like the heavy rod to stick the hooks good.  Deep baits, I use the horrible Bass Pro crankin stick MH mentioned above.  They work good for me and I catch alot of fish with them.  For the price/performance, I will stick with them.  Deep crankbait fish seem to just be happy pulling sideways and digging and rarely head for the surface.