Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:41:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Portage Chain (Pinckney)

Started by 32eml24, August 11, 2010, 10:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

32eml24

I had the opporunity to fish the Portage Chain for an entire week this past week, and I said I would post a report.  What a fun place to fish with so many options!  Most all of my fish were caught offshore, mainly on Strawberry and Portage.  The bridge to Little Portage was closed, which was a huge bummer.  Caught a good mix of large and smallmouth.  These fish seem to eat really well, they were all chunky.  The craziest part- and this is unbelievable- I found a $100 bill on the bottom of Portage lake, right when you enter, on that sandy flat.  So that payed for my boat gas for the week!  I caught a lot of big ones, the highlight being a 5-8 largie, my biggest of this summer so far!  Still not sure if I'm doing this right but I'm posting pictures too if anyone wants to see.  Pictures were taken either far offshore or at my Uncles dock so I am taking care not to give away anyones secret spots.  Man I wish I could fish there more often. 

FOB

Don't let him fool you folk's.  Those fish were caught in Lake Macatawa.  We only have small fish on the Portage Chain. ;) ;) ;)

Glad you had a good time.  You need to set a trip up in late fall when the smallies go on the feed.  It's not St. Clair, but it's still a lot of fun.
Ralph Blasey
Wonderland Marine West  734-417-5550

djkimmel

What did you catch the hundred dollar bill on!!!!??!?!!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

32eml24

I was just looking down in amazement at what an awesome flat that was... sandy with scattered rock.  I looked down and saw what I thought was a big square rock and for whatever reason it intrigued me, at which point I looked closer and noticed it was a bill.  Not until I scooped it up with my rod tip did I realize it was 100... Crazy!  And as far as the smallies I have never caught them in water that deep before and that was a lot of fun for me.  And the current is a variable I love to have; that really concentrated the fish on all the offshore spots.  I am going to try to make it back over there before fishing season's over.

djkimmel

Sounds like you did really well. Better than I did last time I was there a few seasons ago.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Manxfishing

We fished Portage lake today
Just ran around on Big Portage

The water temp was 68 in the morning and 70 in the afternoon
Best bite in the morning was along the shore in  sparce weeds and 4 fow
The canels had a few and in the afternoon we found a few nice SM on the gravel bar in 2 1/2 FOW as well

Caught nothing on the break lines or the sunkin islands
There shallow these days