Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:31:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

I am little hesitant...

Started by Dan, May 09, 2006, 08:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I have been a little hesitant to share this terrible news, but I know there are members on this board who knew Dan Chapman from the Tear Drop, Federation State Team, NBAA, etc. He and his wife were found dead Sunday. I would rather not, at this time, elaborate on the circumstances, nor judge any actions. I'll differ to higher powers for that. Suffice to say he was my friend and one heck of a angler. He lived and breathed fishing. In the "Sweetest Thing" thread earlier this year, I mentioned that at the GR Sport and RV show someone grabs me and I turn around into a big bear hug. It was Dan and his wife.?The moment brought what is great about the sport into focus for me. Here is a guy, I thought, that I see principally in the summer and through fishing have become good friends and there's no handshake but a big warm it's really great to see you bear hug. I'm sure you recognize that person to person connection that the outdoors often offers up. It made my day!
The last couple years there has been four of us, Dan being one, that have traveled together for the Federation Classic Series and the State Championship. Dan made the state team at Charlevoix. Came real close the year before on St. Clare.? Would have made it, but his partner who had his fish lipped in the boat, tripped and fell. The fish that he needed got bounced overboard. A lot of guys would have had a fit. All Dan said was "That's fishing."
Losing him has been hard on a good many of us. Putting everything in to perspective will take a while. I intend to put together a eulogy on our Tear Drop web page, but it's going to take me some time. He leaves a 12 year old son and a high school daughter. As far as I know right now, the funeral will be Saturday in the Traverse area. If you are interested on arrangements I'll post them as soon as I get them. If you have a few extra thoughts for him and his family in your prayers tonight, I know they will be well received.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Dan

Just got a call on the arrangements. Visitation is 2-4 and 6-8 on Friday at the Jon Khoff Funeral Home which is somewhere in the Interlochen area. Funeral is Saturday at noon at the Lake Ann Methodist Church.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

djkimmel

Sorry to hear this. Very sad to lose a fellow angler.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

blakstr1

I am truly stunned, I had talked a bit via e-mail with Dan only a few weeks ago.  My next door neighbor snowmobiled with Dan quite a bit in the winter.  I heard the story the other day but until this post had no idea it was them.  I found the updated report printed in the Traverse City Record Eagle on May 8th, this is truly a tragedy. 

I am just stunned.....

It would be good if we collected some type of donation for their 2 children directly from this board, they have a daughter 16 and a son 12.  It might not amount to a whole lot but every bit would help.
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

fowlmouth

I'm in, I may never have known Dan but he sounds like he was a stand-up guy and I'm all about helping those in need, especially kids. Where can I send a check and who do I make it out to?

Dan

Man, I tell you, talk about stand up guys! The people on this board are awesome. The Tear Drop Director, Dennis Cook, and I have been talking about trying to help these kids out and are checking with a lawyer about setting up a college trust fund. We're looking at a long range effort over the next few years. Some charity events, raffles, etc. If anyone is interested in contributing, you may make the check out to Tear Drop Bass Club and send it in care of Dan Shine at 6820 Gettysburg, Hudsonville, MI  49426. Thank you very much for being willing to support these kids.

dhuff

Wow that is terrible.  I didn't know him but I never like to hear news like this.  I have had personal family experience like this and know the feeling.  My thoughts go tot he kids.  I wish kids never had to go through such a thing.  Sometimes life is just not fair but that is life.  I will contribute what I can.

superjay5

I had the pleasure fishing against Chapman last year in both the NBBA Tuesday nite and weekend series. I can say he took a lot of my money, and I took very little of his. He was a Great angler! I didn't know him real well, just little dock talk here and there, but I always enjoyed talking with him. I am also a member of CCBA and even though he was not a member of our club, most of our members knew him. We all decided to donate money to his children, I will pass along the contact info, as we did not know at the time if something was being set up. He will be missed for sure!

Dan

I attended Dan and Lynne's funeral today with my son and two of my close friends. Very sad day. All kinds of emotions. The service was well attended and the service was delivered by three pastors. During the service one of the pastors told about how one of the kid's friends had calculated the total number of hours and minutes that they, the daughter and son had together with their mom and dad. The pastor made a statement that in a case like this we have to look at all those hours and minutes that were shared and savored and not let one minute define any ones life. I would hope that none of us ever lets a moment that passes in time define who we are or who others appear to be. It is truly the aggregate that makes us who we are.
Let us make sure we look at the compilation of time, events, interactions, deeds, etc., before we judge or make assumptions about others.
The Tear Drop is going to institute some fund raisers that we run for at least this year and quite possibly for a number of years to contribute to a fund for the kids.
Thank you all for your concern, kind words, prayers and support.