Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 04:53:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Charging while towing

Started by Dan, May 01, 2006, 10:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Charging your boat batteries while towing your boat. Heard of it and I think Stealth sells a unit but this one here looks interesting. Anybody familiar with this technology? Stay and Charge is what this company is called. Here is the website http://www.walleyesinc.com/walleyeinc3/onlinestorerstayncharge.htm
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

bshaner

I dont know anything about that website or that system, but I try to avoid buying things online from sites that forget the word "to" or spell "yo" instead of "you" and "your" instead of "you are (you're)"  more than 5 times and spell their own name 3 different ways in one small ad :(  Just my policy, that system could be genious and work perfectly though :)

If they sell it at Wal Mart or Meijer's with a return policy I'd definately give it a try though.  Sounds cool.
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

MBell

I've been looking at an on board charging system,  I found stayn' charge and stealth.  I asked about them on bassboatcentral and a few guys had the on board stay'n charge and liked them.  No on had the on that hooks up to the truck.  I'm going to get the onboard stayn charge pretty soon.  My  cranking battery is back to full after about only 2 minutes of running.  The real site is www.stayncharge.com

-Matt

djkimmel

Matt - do you mean after 2 minutes or 2 hours?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

blakstr1

the stay n' charge seems to be a really good product and very reasonably priced...good product especially if you have a bit of a distance that you drive from the lake to your house, if you live and hour or so away you would probably be all set with just the stay n' charge unit, if your only a couple minutes away then you will also have to use a conventional charger.  Stealth chargers are great too, probably more suited to the 4 to 5 day a week fishermen..DOWD uses one and really likes it.

If interested in the stay n' charge or if you have questions call Jim Payne @ Stay'nCharge Battery Charging Systems 612.590.5833  www.stayncharge.com  Jim will even talk you through installation if you need it.
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

MBell

My cranking battery will be back above 13 volts after only a few minutes of running. 
-Matt

bcbasser

I have a stay n charge system and i love it!!! It is alot cheaper than the stealth and Jim Payne (owner) is awesome to work with and is a ton of help...but the unit is super easy to install. The all charge system will allow you to charge while you are towing...I have one but never hooked it up??? don't know why?? anyway I went all weekend last week while in Ky and never hooked up to power....I was on the trolling motor all day 6-8hrs both days!!! I am very impressed and would suggest the product to anyone...if you have questions or would like to know how to get one...let me know I would be glad to help!!!
www.kistlerrods.com
www.championboats.com

Amsoil Synthetic Lubricants www.lubedealer.com/benwallace

smbassman

Just a correction on the stay n charge - the "all charge" charges up to 3 batteries (besides the cranking bat) while running the outboard.  The original stay in charge unit charges one battery when towing and up to four batteries when used with the "all charge".

I installed both units this winter and it seems to work well. 

djkimmel

Was it the All Charge that says batteries have to be hooked in parallel only? How do you get around that if you have trolling motor batteries for a 24v or 36v series hook up instead?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

smbassman

I have never seen that on the all charge, and that doesn't match the instructions either.  They have to be in series to charge 36V.

djkimmel

I know you have to have 3 12V batteries in a series to get 36V. I read something on one of the web site links that said the batteries could only be in parallet. Didn't make sense since that won't get you 24 or 36V, just longer juice at 12V. It's possible what I read is now outdated too.

smbassman

Iit is possible that was regarding the original "stay in charge" unit that charges from your tow vehicle.  This system alone is only designed to charge a 12V system - meaning one battery or any number of batteries in parallel.  When used with the "all charge" unit the original unit still charges one 12V system, but the "all charge" unit switchs that charge from one TM battery for 5mins to the next battery for 5mins and so on.  It operates the same way with the outboard alternator, switching from one battery to the next and not all at the same time.

The beauty of this system (and all DC chargers) is they charge much faster than a AC charger and they put more charge into the batteries.  I am also hoping that this system will result in longer battery life because the batteries are never run down much before you fire up the outboard and charge them again.  This is the same process that automotive batteries use, and they typically last 2-3 times the life of TM batteries with the typical AC charge after a long day on the lake.

Dan

Man, I was all ready to go with the Pro Mariner and now that Stay n Charge system is really alluring. May have to shake the dice and go with it. Got to make a decision soon. I need to get on the water!!
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Dan

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my onboard charging system. Just got off the phone with Jim from Stay-N-Charge. He says I don't need any onboard charger. Just get his two units, the one that charges on the go and the other that plugs in to the truck as you tow. He claims between the two I won't need to charge the batteries, but if I do, all I need is a little portable charger which plugs into his system which then will charge all the batteries. His two units run about $225. I think I am going to give it a shot. 90 money back guarantee and three year warranty. The installation looks simple and I go from a pretty good size unit to a couple little 6x6 inch computer boxes.

Dropshot

Just make sure the charging unit is smart enough not to overcharge and you should be fine. Overcharging is the number one killer of batteries. I would read up on battery charging at this site http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden//index.htm and make sure the stay-n-charge unit complies with this FAQ.
Joe

Dan

Made the decision and ordered the two Stay N Charge systems. Have to yank out my old on board charger and wait for the stay n charge to get here. I'll keep you posted on how it works. I am mechanically challenged, but I feel pretty good about the installation. Got several buddies close by that I lean on and so many of you have offered your help as well I'm confident of a quick intall and hoping to get in the water soon.