Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:20:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Anyone know a good accountant?

Started by joshimoto son, April 26, 2006, 03:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshimoto son

Well, It's gonna happen... I'm gonna get a 10-99 for fishing.
Can anyone recommend an accountant that has been around the "fishing" block when
it comes to tax time.
I am strictly looking at next year. Just in case you was wondering if I hadn't done mine yet this year.
I'm trying to get a jump start.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

joshimoto son ;D

DOWD

Do them yourself, read alot, keep very accurate receipts and notes and breeze through tax time next year. I interviewed at a dozen CPA's this past year to take care of my business, none wanted to handle it. I spent many hours reading what I can and cannot do with the schedule c form. I had 15k in winnings last year (2005) and paid very little in taxes, I have every receipt, mile and dollar accounted for. I also do a few of my friends returns. Using Turbo Tax will cover you, thats most a CPA will do.

Mark

SethV

Like Dowd said, keep every reciept.  Fishing equiment, lodging, record miles, boat gas, licence fees, professional memberships (FLW, BASS) are all deductable.

I have a CPA back in Oklahoma that does a fantastic job.  I just file on a Schedule C.  I have been treating fishing as a buisiness for the last 3 years.  I have shown a profit 1 year, a loss the other 2 years.  Hopfully a profit this year!!

If you want the name/number of my CPA PM me.

Seth

joshimoto son

Thanks for the replies.

On something like this, do you actually get more money back?
Or does all the hard work just mean you don't have to pay as much.

Just curious.

Josh

DOWD

Few questions:
1. Do you own a boat and plan on claiming it towards your business?
2. Do you have a home office that you plan, keep your tackle, and run your business from?
3. Do you keep track of every receipt, mile driven, toll ticket, hotel receipt and receipts for tackle?
4. Do you keep separate bank accounts for your fishing and personal use? The IRS does not like co-mingling of funds.
5. Do you have a DBA, INC or LLC? Not necessary but it help?
Claiming your fishing as a business helps lowers your tax liablity, ex. tax bracket.
If I were to not claim my fishing, I would be in the 27 % tax bracket, by using my business, Mark Dowd, LLC, I lower my tax liabilty to around 11 to 12 %. Where you will get more money back is the home office, this generates a big return, but you must make sure that the home office is legit, and have the proof to back it up.
These are my opinions, do not use them, I am not liable for anyone mistakes to the IRS or State of MIchigan, I am not a license CPA, nor pretend to be, but I do read about the tax code very often, and try to understand it. CHeck with your CPA.

Mark

djkimmel

Kind of a mini-seminar right there... including disclaimer.

Home offices are one of the IRS' favorite targets. As he says, don't mess around without good advice and some solid homework.

A summary of a LLC:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_liability_company#LLC_vs._Inc._.26_Ltd.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

joshimoto son

Yeah fella's,
I wasn't really expecting to cash a check that big, this soon.

The info helps and it will lead me to the answers of questions that are most typically found out after it's too late.
I do not have a legitimate office.
I have kept receipts and milage since Jan 1 of 06.

No DBA, LLC or INC.

NO separate bank account.

I do own a boat.

Is it too late to start that stuff for this year?

I'm gonna read the link that Dan posted, and see where to go from there.
I talked to an accountant 2 years ago... one of the more High dollar ones.
And I did not learn this much from her, kind of why I'm not quite as prepaired.

thanks!

djkimmel

Not too late. Definitely consider professional advice before trying to depreciate your boat. The link I posted was pretty simple information on just one small part of the puzzle.

It can be tricky to find a sympathetic accountant who is knowledgeable and will work with you on figuring out what is best legally in your situation.

For mileage, you'll want to know your initial starting mileage with your vehicle. How many total miles you drive for personal and your fishing business. You'll be asked if you have another vehicle available for personal driving or not.

Get form and instructions for a federal schedule C as Dowd mentioned. Look at the self-employment tax form and instructions too just in case. Keep good notes and all receipts - make sure they are dated and identifiable for what they go with. There's also the potential to have to pay estimated taxes from your winnings at a certain point - I don't think you need to worry about that if you plan on fishing a fair amount of tournaments and keeping all expenses tracked, but that is something you want to look in on either by yourself, or through a tax professional/accountant.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Revtro

I have the accountant you all need.  If anyone wants me to have her contact you to assist you in your tax preparation, I'd be happy to.  Just PM me.  She runs a professional tax business, is 20 years experienced, and a controller for a large corporation.  She won't charge you the arm and leg most CPA's will charge either.  Unless you need to fight the IRS, you don't need a CPA.  It's overkill.

End of shameless plug.   ;D
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

yukonjack2

Josh:

Being self employed, I have been down this road - pm me for the gory details, and we can chat.

Jack
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them