Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:01:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

K-Zoo River 06/30/2010

Started by 32eml24, June 30, 2010, 07:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

32eml24

Well I took my dad out today on the Kalamazoo river and it was nothing short of amazing to say the least.  No monsters but we had a 50 fish day.  We caught a surprising mix of 2 pound smallies and impressive largemouth!  I did not expect the largemouth to be in there like they were but we got some really nice ones.  And for me to finally get to target and catch smallies was a huge accomplishment.  They fight so awesome!  And it seemed like they were active throughout the whole day.  It was cool to see how they are different from largemouth because if there was no current or rock, no smallies.  And if there was and slack water with cover, there was a largemouth.  We also caught one rock bass, one big crappie about 12 inches, one stupid pike, and one large disgusting kalamazoo catfish.  Thanks to ROI for the tips.  All of those areas held fish for us and I'm sure my dad will remember this day for years to come.  You should feel good about that.  Anyways just thought I would post a report and I hope everyone has a good weekend.
Ethan

djkimmel

That is a great day. Awesome! Don't look down on those catfish. I never met a fish that bit my bait that I didn't like.

Any pictures?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

32eml24

Yes I have a couple pictures I'm trying to download from my phone.  We tried to keep our 10 biggest in the livewell but we ended up throwing a lot of them back just because we were catching so many and didn't really have time to sort them out because we wanted to get a line back in the water! But I should have some pics posted today.

32eml24

It would only let me do 4 at a time sorry if they show up huge! haha

32eml24

fasttrack

Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

fiker

Quote from: djkimmel on June 30, 2010, 11:45:30 PMI never met a fish that bit my bait that I didn't like.

Dan, does that include musky on Lake Ovid when they are running off with one of your crank baits?
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

djkimmel

Well... I don't like it very much, but they are only doing what they do, so I try not to take it too personal! I also try not to throw too many expensive baits around the deep weed edges there either ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

redwing

One thing that needs to be learned here:  When people give up their spots to help you out, usually you shouldn't go on an internet chat room with obvious pictures on where you were.  But that's just me I guess.............being a local of this area, I know exactly where you were.  That is the reason that many don't give up their spots that they've learned over 20-30 years.  Next time maybe pm him the info with the pictures and he will trust you and maybe give up another spot, but now that probably won't happen.  Not trying to slam you in any way, it's just fisherman's etiquette......well at least for some.   ::)

ROI Outdoors

Quote from: redwing on July 02, 2010, 09:39:06 PM
One thing that needs to be learned here:  When people give up their spots to help you out, usually you shouldn't go on an internet chat room with obvious pictures on where you were.  But that's just me I guess.............being a local of this area, I know exactly where you were.  That is the reason that many don't give up their spots that they've learned over 20-30 years.  Next time maybe pm him the info with the pictures and he will trust you and maybe give up another spot, but now that probably won't happen.  Not trying to slam you in any way, it's just fisherman's etiquette......well at least for some.   ::)

32eml24 - Glad you whacked them the other day!  Being orginally from Holland myself I know it is tough to find water like that nearby and I am glad you got to share that experience with your Dad.  As far as fishing etiquette goes this site is for things just like this - to get more people involved in the sport, to educate people that MI has some of the best fishing opportunities, and share and discuss places that we can take our Dad's out too and have an absolute riot that will create memories that last a lifetime - just to name a few.   

Bass fishing is a Catch & Release sport; giving information about non-tournament and/or non-trophy waters is fine in my book. Posting pics is perfectly kosher in this situation, and discussing fisheries like the K-zoo is perfectly fine - there will always be someone who disagrees and that is understandable especially when they are local to the waters in question.  There is fishing etiquette and then there is Bass Fishing Etiquette - if we were talking walleye or even about the best Skamania run in the world then Fishing Etiquette would most certainly apply.  In my book anyone brave enough to head into the Saugatuck/Douglas area any where close to a Holiday more than deserves a 50+ fish day............. :-[
Luke A. Winstrom - Founder/President
Return On Investment Outdoors
luke.winstrom@roioutdoors.com
Direct Line - (616) 366-1395
Visit us Online @ www.roioutdoors.com

djkimmel

Well said. Since ROI was pretty specific about spots, I don't see how pictures give out much additional information. Maybe it will get fished more. Maybe it won't. I've seen it go both ways.

Why? Because we have the Great Lakes and 11,000 lakes and 36,000 miles of river. There are lots of places to fish. Many people already have their favorites.

The point of this web site is to share information when willing about places to fish, methods of fishing and getting more people out fishing. Many people like to see pictures on the Internet which is why I asked about pictures. Please recognize I asked and the member complied. I'm glad he did. Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

I don't expect everyone to give away all their secrets. Share what you want to and don't share what you don't want to but please don't get upset when someone else is willing to share more. None of us owns the water. Sooner or later, we all have to share things and it is more important that we learn to handle it well since it will happen. Sooner or later.

One of the things that scares some people away from this site is that they think too many anglers on here are tight-lipped and unhelpful so I welcome anything that shows that there are all kinds of anglers on this site.

While I obviously understand why many don't want to help out the person who comes on this or any site saying, 'hey I have a big tournament on a new lake next week, tell me where to win it, or where to catch a good bag' - anyone who actually fishes tournaments should know better than that - many of the members on here do not fish tournaments and are not looking for the winning secret spot. They just want to catch some fish and I always tell any I help the same thing, please come back and post a report and some pictures. Please be actively involved in the site if you really want to meet more anglers and learn more about fishing.

djkimmel

It would be different if ROI pm'd information, but he already let the cat out of the bag publicly. It would be different if he took him out there and showed him, then saying please don't share specifics. But he didn't.

When someone privately invites me to a specific spot or lake, I try not to give away anything either if they ask that I don't. Of course, if they take me to the Firecracker and then say don't tell anyone... well, I think that 'secret' is already out of the bag...

I can still post an interesting story with pictures if careful. Maybe someone will figure it out anyway. Maybe they won't. If they do, it probably means they already knew something about the person or spot. If someone says don't tell anyone anything about this spot or water, well then I won't. Though some of those kinds of trips I pass on because I like to share stories and pictures. I put my time into that more.

What is really strange about learning to all get along and accept each others' difference AND similarities is when I or someone posts a story about the 'secret' lake, some people still get upset. Why bother they say. Well, why not at least have some story and pictures rather than none? In the end, if we don't share something, there's no point to having a web site in the first place.

Obviously, I believe there's a point to having a web site or I wouldn't put my time into it.

And actually, looking at his pictures, only two were what I would think are specific where someone not already familiar with the river would know where he was fishing. The point is moot though since ROI was very specific in his public help.

Durand Dan

Quote from: redwing on July 02, 2010, 09:39:06 PM

I can show you all the areas I catch fish on numerous lakes. But if you don't fish it with the lures I use, at the depth I run, at the speed I retrieve, with the color I use and the angle I fish at, it probably won't produce like it does for me.

djkimmel

That's why it often is better to give out general techniques and types of things to look for and then let the angler learn it their way. I have found that anglers often move through a spot and catch a few. And then the next boat comes through and catches a few. And then later the next boat comes through and catches a few. Different bass are more or less susceptible to various techniques and presentations.

I prefer not to follow right behind someone but that isn't even always much of a problem. I try not to worry too much about it. Even on spawning bass many times.

gr@ssmonkey

well said dan,even though i am a tournament junky  :-X.............somebody showed me how to fish........i didn't invent it.......there fore when somebody sincerely wants to know...i usually tell  ::) especially if it's a kid...well always if it's a kid :)

i see were redwing is coming from %100,but were a little more layed back here on GLB......it's sorta like when u were a kid  at the roller skating rink, when they would say"let's all skate now" :D :D

32eml24

Well and I have to tell the truth here... Those pictures were all taken in the EXACT same spot, a spot on the way in to the boat launch where we did not even fish!  I'm sorry if I offended anyone.  I suppose I should be more careful next time.  I don't fish tournaments so that thought doesn't run through my head... but I am always willing to share.  Anyways those pictures were taken just past the 2nd bridge, nearer downtown saugatuck and the channel to lake michigan.  We tried one of the marinas in Kalamazoo Lake without much luck and decided to head in.  We kept 10 bass in the livewell because I thought it would be cool if I could get a picture of my dad with 2 smallies and a variety of other fish, and not have to worry about taking pictures while actually fishing.  So we stopped past the bridge, took some pictures, put all our fish back, and went back to the launch.  But I do see where everyone is coming from on both sides.  Bottom line, for me anyways, is those tips from another angler who was willing to share provided me and more importantly my dad (who rarely gets to fish) a trip that we will never forget. 
Ethan

djkimmel

That's great to hear. I try to remind people that we have tournament and non-tournament bass anglers here. And I think we can all get along.

chrisvmo

I fished that area recently with the informant "ROI" any ways you kicked our butt's!!! You must be a good angler...ever considered tournament fishing?

djkimmel

You know how different days, different all the other crazy variables go...