Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:31:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

BFL Turnout

Started by DDBethke, June 04, 2010, 02:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDBethke

Does anyone know how many boats are singed up for Burt/Mullet? Seems like a lot less boats this year...
Duane
Please Like my Facebook Page for the best Power-Pole pricing available!                                             http://www.facebook.com/TournamentReadyTackle
Optimum Baits Pro Staff
http://www.optimumbaits.com/
Reins Pro-Staff (Tungsten/Soft Plastics)
http://reinsfishing.com/
Twitter
http://twitter.com/DDBethke
Blog
http://duanebethkefishing.blogspot.com/

djkimmel

I heard 88 boats today

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

t-bone

It was down nearly 50 boats from last year. I think they had 130 last year and were in the 80's this year.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

MBell

No TBF this year, and the fishing didn't help.
-Matt

Dan

Where are all the reports. I couldn't fish it and really look forward to hearing how it went, good or bad.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Bobber

It wasnt anything special. My boaters fish were off the beds that he planned on fishing. So it made for a slow day. But i still learned a lot so it was worth it.

SethV

I am really disapointed at my tx results.  I expect better.

I had my limit in about 30 or 40 minutes - only about 16.5 lbs, but this year I really had trouble finding the bigger fish.  I had 52 marked, all were willing to eat.  I don't catch them in practice, i use bent over hooks, but only mark fish that eat it on the first drop.  My co had his limit in about an hour and a half, I try to take care of those guys.  I see he got a check.

Based on my disapointing practice, I knew I was not going to have a big bag, but I managed to cull up to 17 lb 2 oz.  With a few minutes to go, I was looking for new fish and found a toad.  An easy 6+ in 13 FOW.  She smoked my dropshot on the first drop.  I saw her gills flare as she sucked it in and made a rookie mistake.  I set up too quick.  Lost her halfway to the boat.  She went back to the bed, but I ran out of time and could not get her to eat again.  My co was freaking out at the size of her.  She was massive.  Well over 6 lbs.  That would have given me between 19 and 20 lbs easily.

Right after I lost that fish, I checked my fish in the well.  All were doing just fine 10 min earlier, but I found one stone dead.  I have no idea why.  Pumps were on and chemicals were in the water.  Must have been the stress from spawning.  Of course it was my smallest fish - and I had just "upgraded" with her by 2 ounces about an hour earlier.  So after an 8 oz penalty, catching that fish cost me 6 ounces at the end.  Final weight a disapointing 16-10.

Overall, I should have worked harder at prefishing.  I was off the water early with a couple hours of sunlight left every day.  I didn't put in the effort and it showed.  Overall, it was tougher this year.  The 23-0 that I had last year was much easier to come by than the 16-10 this year.

Team houston

As a co angler I finally drew someone who was not bed fishing. We spent almost the whole day at what my cabin mates refered too as the "community hole" Being boat #3 we were the first ones there but had plenty of company soon. The area had some fish still on beds but plenty of post spawn fish were in the area also. Thats what my boater was after. On my very first cast I caught one on a spinnerbait that was right at the line. After about 20 min my boater picks up a topwater and catches 3 in about 20 min. So I put one on and shortly after catch a 4 1/4.  My boater catches a limit on the topwater and a couple more on a Carolina rig. I had two more blow ups thru the rest of the day but did not hook up and that was it for me. The fish at certain times were gorging on Mayflies all around us. Since I had a good one for points I decided to let my line toucher go towards the end of the day even though I was 95% sure it would have measured.

Mojo

OK OK OK - I'll let y'all know my experience as my first "major" tournament - I arrive to a great boater who can only be described as big a character as I so I knew we were going to be relaxed - have a good time AND get that important 1 fish. Though he tells me he doesnt use ANY electronics, doesnt need any bedded way points, he himself has no fish marked, no fish finder  or bottom hardness etc ... Im still not worried. I go to the local store at 9 pm for a snack and meet a local Paw and a 12 yr old boy who tells me of his 31" pike he missed, and a 14 inch bass he caught. I make over it like its the most important thing I heard all day. Take him over to the truck and open the tackle bag and give his big eyes some spinner baits, in line spinners, and a big hand full of pre soaked grubs. Local guy tells me of a "rock shoreline up the road with fish every morning bout 100 ft off that dock there see" .... so I thank him and go on my way.

NExt morning at 5 am I am getting coffee at the same shop and the locals are gathering chatting and excited about the mornings take off. I see my lil man and ask for a "lucky handshake" which he gladly gives. At take off as we begin launching I look back and see my 'fan' cheering us off. 1/2 hr later as my boater is fan-casting in 4 fow I see a curling fish spooked and have him bring the boat around. ITs a bedded fish but my boater isnt rigged for beds so he lets me take a few shots at her. (WOW Im thinking - what a kind, great boater, Im in a dream?) bang - she goes and I get my 4 lbr. Once rigged theres a second fish nesting on the other side and my boater gets his first. He high fives me, "Mission accomplished" !!

We continue on the shoreline but ZERO fish to be seen. Then the next shoreline same thing, marinas - nothing. Sunken island was getting hammered and we joined in, nothing. Finally on the south end of Mullet we find an area where the jerk bait attracts em and bam - my second - boater has 15 lb of fish following but no hook ups, and no fish taking on my grub or tube as I try to entice the followers. SO we come in - but we are 15 min early so I ask my boater to go to the area the local Paw said to go to cause its near by. Before we drop the trolling motor I see a fish roaming and throw about 10 yd in front of him - he goes to it like candy and Bam I have my third fish !!!

I pull a Mike Iconelli and scream and we hear girls partying at a house screaming back. I raise the fish and two bikini clad girls drop their top for me just like that !! My boater is having a heart attack and I cant believe this is happening !! I put the fish away and yell to them and one turns and drops her bottoms to her ankles for us !!! A classic moon for the tx fisherman !!!

AND ... Theres another fish !!!

I tell my boater I'm not putting a hook in the water cause he only has one fish but he spooks it several times. He tells me to go for it but time is up and we have to go. Turns out I end up 7 oz out of the money, but escaped Mullet with 3 fish, 184 points of the 200 possible.

Returning in - the Cheboygan locals cheered us on stage, and they were wowed by the fish as they were let go into the bay. And lil man was there - grinning the whole time I told everyone about the lucky little hand shake that got me that last fish, and hoping one day we all know his name.

I know y'all understand how exciting bass fishing can be - but I belong in jail for having that much fun on tournament day !

Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

MadWags

Quote from: Mojo on June 08, 2010, 10:47:16 PM
......I pull a Mike Iconelli and scream and we hear girls partying at a house screaming back. I raise the fish and two bikini clad girls drop their top for me just like that !! My boater is having a heart attack and I cant believe this is happening !! I put the fish away and yell to them and one turns and drops her bottoms to her ankles for us !!! A classic moon for the tx fisherman !!!

And then I woke up and looked over to make sure my wife didn't hear me dreaming. ;D
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

t-bone

Mojo - your the man. This is the attitude to bring to a tournament and good things will happen!

I got your voicemail but I was fishing over at Charlevoix with my club on Saturday. I had a good day of bed fishing, 16.8 lbs for a 3rd place. Unfortunately I never had any screaming topless girls nearby to appreciate my catch, but I did go a little Ike on my own!
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

SethV

he tells me he doesnt use ANY electronics, doesnt need any bedded way points, he himself has no fish marked, no fish finder

I would have freaked out at that point - nice job staying positive and turning it into a good day!!!!

Lets get together for Erie prefish!

07jshaff

Well I was lucky enough to win the co-angler division of the Burt/Mullet Lakes BFL tournament. I knew I was going to have a good day on the water when I drew boater Chad Pipkens, but I had no idea that my 17lbs 4oz would be the winning weight. I started the day off by just fan casting a drop shot while Chad was working on his bed fish and ended up catching 2 really nice fish that way. Once he had his limit he let me catch 2 of his smaller bed fish. I finally got my limit fish with about 10 minutes before we had to leave for weigh in. It was just a small 2lb fish on a bed but that was the winning fish for me. I want to congradulate Chad on his third win in a row at burt/mullet, it was quite a site seeing all of those big fish he caught.
I would also like to clear up an issue that happened in the morning that I am sure some people have heard about. Chad and another boat, I will not name who it was, were racing to the same area, and it was soon obvious that they were racing for the same fish which ended up being a 6lb+ fish. Chad arrived to the fish first about 150 yds ahead of the persuing competitor and threw a buey out next to the fish. The competitor proceeded to troll in toward Chad's buoy, so Chad turned around with his trolling motor on high, arrived back to his buoy, and threw out his anchor and stowed his trolling motor. It would seem common curtousy to let the guy who arrived to the fish first get to fish it, but since this wasn't going to be the case Chad used the rules to his advantage even though he shouldn't have had to. This led to the other competitor saying some disrespectful comments to Chad as he proceeded to go to a different spot. So if some people heard that the other guy was fishing and Chad came in and cut him off that is not true at all.

Dan

I read Pipkens was fishing 10 to 15 feet of water for his fish. I have tried to fish those deep beds which are very hard to see let alone find. Could you see the fish as easily as he could? I know some guys just have the knack for seeing those deep fish.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

07jshaff

Yeah most of his fish were in that depth range. I couldn't see any of his fish in the morning, it was cloudy and there was a chop on the water. He must have have the best eyes in the world cause he could still see them. Later in the afternoon when it calmed down and the sun came out I could see them somewhat. One fish looked like 3lbs in the water but when he caught it it ended up weighing 5.5lb, just tough to judge their weights.

pipke1cj

Hey hey... this is my first time logged in on the great lakes bass forum. not gonna lie... i think i have been missing out! A thanks to Dan for sending my the link that my co-angler jay wrote. And thanks to Jay for the kind words. From someone who fishes tournaments from the front of the boat and from the back of the boat, I can tell you that partner respect goes a long way. And Jay had it. If co anglers can understand that the boater has put an awful lot of time and money into practicing to find his fish, then the boater in return will be more likely to help out the person in the back of the boat. For instance, in Jays case he never once cast at the buoy or the fish that i was fishing for even if the boat were to have been mispositioned due to the wind. this was very respectful. Most guys out there will recognize this and repay the favor by showing you a smaller fish they may have on a bed or simply just making it easier for you to fish. As cliche as it sounds, whether you are in the front or the back of the boat, its a lot easier when you work together. in the long run its better for both people.

Happy fishing
chad

djkimmel

All very true and thanks for signing up. Congratulations on pulling off something tough 3 years in a row. It doesn't get easier.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

Quote from: pipke1cj on June 09, 2010, 10:11:51 PM
Hey hey... this is my first time logged in on the great lakes bass forum. not gonna lie... i think i have been missing out! A thanks to Dan for sending my the link that my co-angler jay wrote. And thanks to Jay for the kind words. From someone who fishes tournaments from the front of the boat and from the back of the boat, I can tell you that partner respect goes a long way. And Jay had it. If co anglers can understand that the boater has put an awful lot of time and money into practicing to find his fish, then the boater in return will be more likely to help out the person in the back of the boat. For instance, in Jays case he never once cast at the buoy or the fish that i was fishing for even if the boat were to have been mispositioned due to the wind. this was very respectful. Most guys out there will recognize this and repay the favor by showing you a smaller fish they may have on a bed or simply just making it easier for you to fish. As cliche as it sounds, whether you are in the front or the back of the boat, its a lot easier when you work together. in the long run its better for both people.

Happy fishing
chad

Good post Chad....The BFL circuit really is a relatively small circuit and reputations of both Co anglers and boaters travel fast..Things can work both ways...Sometimes the Co angler has a little experience on a body of water and can put the boater on some great Coordinates as secondary spots through out the day....There are some boaters out there that I would give my stuff to in a heartbeat...Then there are one or two that I would rather get skunked than show him what I have....
Guys like Chad that have a good reputation with Cos will get what I have in a heartbeat...What goes around comes around.....He may not always need it but you never know...

Mojo

Quote from: SethV on June 09, 2010, 11:49:01 AM
he tells me he doesnt use ANY electronics, doesnt need any bedded way points, he himself has no fish marked, no fish finder

I would have freaked out at that point - nice job staying positive and turning it into a good day!!!!

Lets get together for Erie prefish!

Quite simply Seth - My boater was a TOP NOTCH GENTLEMAN team player - just a great guy - and I cant wait to fish with him again, electronics or no electronics. Its those friendships you make that last long after you tip the scales. Remember that folks.

I'll catch up with you soon enough to pre-fish Erie !
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan