Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:56:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Spraying Weeds on lake and the brain surgeons behind it..........

Started by ROI Outdoors, May 25, 2010, 02:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROI Outdoors

About 4 years I noticed that a local lake had a MAJOR fish kill; it was mostly panfish with an occasional bass mixed in so I called the DNR and they told me it was most likely a "natural kill" that happens every couple of years.  The problem to me with that explanation was it did not explain why there were thousands of fish all over the shore so I did some research and found that had sprayed the lake the week prior to me seeing this.  It was right at the peak of the crappie spawn and during the earlier stages of the bass spawn which seemed a little "fishy" but what can you do.

Fast forward to present day and the problem seems to be a growing one (or a dying one depending on how you look at it). I know of 4 lakes that have been sprayed over the last 72 hours with one lake seeing a significant amount of dying or dead panfish, bass, and even walleye.  What I would like to know is how spraying permits are issued and by who because they are killing fish like the weeds - there shouldn't be an ounce of chemical dropped until a majority of fish have reproduced but I guess they only care about having sandy beaches with better wake boarding water.  With this warm-up and moon phase almost every game fish is in 10 feet or less - gills, perch, crappie, smallies, largies so maybe we can just start calling it Weed & Fish Spraying now on.

One the greatest blunders in the Weed Management novel is White Lake over here on the West Side.  It used to be one of the best smallie lakes on the Lake Michigan shoreline but because of the not so bright local residents they completed killed them off - supposedly they didn't read the instructions on the drums of chemicals and simply poured the concentrate right into the water when it was supposed to be dilluted, I did not see it personally but have been told by multiple people who did and there were literally hundreds upon hundreds of dead smallies washing up on the shore all over the lake.  They dropped barrels of chemical on spawning smallmouth and now they are all but eliminated.  Why are these kinds of things allowed to occur but I am not allowed to fish for bass in March?  Maybe we should try opening up bass tourneys earlier and closing down the weed sprays until fish have moved out of the shallows - but then there would be more fish in lakes, more economic stimulation to local lake areas, more tackle and licenses sold, wait nevermind that would mean weeds on the 10' feet of frontage for some folks who have spent countless summers having sand hauled in and we can't have that...................
Luke A. Winstrom - Founder/President
Return On Investment Outdoors
luke.winstrom@roioutdoors.com
Direct Line - (616) 366-1395
Visit us Online @ www.roioutdoors.com

Durand Dan

See this link for the Lake Management plan that is required to be submitted.  It includes input by the lake association and the applicator. If you are aware of the meeting you can give your opinion. But when it comes right down to the spraying the applicator is licensed by the State of Michigan and is considered to be the expert on the chemicals. However, as a Commercial Pesticide Applicator myself, it basicly is a written exam that you can pass by reading several manuals. I have seen these companies setting up and doing the application. As far as I can see the process is a joke. The "more is better" thinking looks to be the criteria when spraying.

http://www.deq.state.mi.us/documents/deq-wd-illm-lakeplanform.doc

fiker

At one of our DBA meetings this past winter the fishery biologist from the DNR came and spoke to our group.  I believe his name is Gary Towns, but I"m bad with names. 
He explained how permits were submitte, reviewed and granted. There are very few reviewers, and very little time in which they have to grant or deny permits.  I think he told us that if they don't deny the permit in a specific amount of time, the permit is automatically granted.
The DNR is supposed to take into account evey one's concerns when it comes to treating the lakes.  I don't remember him speaking to the when issue, but he did talk about the where.
They can do it withing (I think he said) 100' of shore, or 5' of water, whichever comes first. 
But what I do remember him saying is this.  If fisherman know of a particular weed bed in a lake that is a particulary significant weed bed, they should notify the DNR.  When the reviewers look at the applications, they can exclude those areas. 
The DNR is understaffed, and they guys there are doing the best that they can. 
It seemed to me that the rules, and regs are stacked in favor of the riparians, but fisherman have a say as well.  We just have to exercise our say.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390