Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:33:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

grand river

Started by rudycard72, December 22, 2005, 01:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudycard72

Does anyone know the time it takes to travel from launch at riverside park to muskegon lake and is it worth the trip?

MBell

A lot of guys do it, the worst part is in the grand with all of the no wake zones.  It's been a while since I've done it but I would guess at least an hour with all the no wake zones.
-Matt

djkimmel

If it is calm out on that Great BIG lake and you follow the non-dawdlers out the no-wakes (I tend to be a little slower than others), it's a little over an hour to get into Muskegon.

I've been running to Muskegon or White for years - not every time, but more often by far than staying.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Cy

You would think with everyone hauling fish from Muskegon and White to the Grand there would be fish there...but there is not!   ;D
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

McCarter

Thats a good point.  Where do they go?

PoorBoy himself :-\'

djkimmel

Probably to Macatawa... (Macatoilet :D)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

fished 2 BFL's on the grand.  both from riverside park were delayed for fog.  then they let us go only to hit ZERO visibility at 60 mph..  about the most scared i have been in a boat..  never have caught a keeper there.  although i caught a bunch of big Dog Fish...  my log book says  " never go back ".  i do what it says..

think spring..

ss

yukonjack2

I fished the fog bowl as well - nokeepers for me either - spent all day in the river without a bite, then caught a 13.75 dock fish with 15 min to go - ugh I so dislike that place.

Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

Andy

The grand can be a great place to fish just got to put in your time I have see a lot of 4 to 5 pound fish come out of there. stick to Dan advice stay away from lake Mac no fish there I will say againThere ARE NO FISH in Lake Mac ;D ;D Smallies or large mouth.

Cy

I have never fished Mac, are you being    facetious?  I have had limited success on the Grand.  I have caught one keeper in 2 out of the 3 tourneys I have fished there.  In the Fox tournament Lake Michigan is closed so you have to stay in the river system.  Last year I ran way up stream and could not get a keeper to save my life.  Unfortunately I hit a log on the way back down and missed the next tournament on the river.  The one thing that I find very interesting, for a river I rarely catch a smallie out there.   ???

Cfruel
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

djkimmel

Mac has some good fish in it, but it seems like a real challenge to learn and get confident in it. I've only been on it about 3 times, so I'm no authority. There are a handful of guys who kick butt out there.

What amazed me is how muddy it gets, how little good weeds it has and how it gets like a mini Lake St. Clair on the weekends with tuna boat traffic. Just blew me away to see that many big boat wakes on an inland lake that isn't that big. The lake is overabundantly crowded with marinas and when even a quarter of those tuna boats come out at once - there's some big ones too - it gets ROUGH! I was spittin' lake water out there one day.

The smallies in the Grand River seem to be increasing slowly and steadily. I haven't caught a ton, but I've caught them from Lake Michigan down several miles past Eastmanville. In the past, I caught more from the gravel pit on down past Eastmanville, but lately, I'm getting more from Indian Channel out - not enough to count on them yet, but I don't fish there a lot either really. I don't really want to run down to Eastmanville right now - as you mentioned - it is treacherous.

They are getting some out of Spring Lake too - you have to know the place pretty well to figure that out (I haven't but I like knowing I have a lot more to learn).

Andy

Cfruel: Lake Macatawa can be a VERY good lake If you read Dans post there are a lot of docks and that is were the fish are and by the chanel ,you just need to find them. I fish Mac when ever I just go fun fishing and right before a tournament.Why not Im only 10 min away. The Lake can make you look like a Pro WHEN YA FIND THEM Last summer I put 14 ponds of largemouth in the boat of a spot no bigger that a pickup truck.

dhuff

Those are the best spots to find.  I have a spot like that on a popular inland lake down here that I keep quiet about.  I love those deep water spots that you always have to yourself and it just seems the fish are always there. 

djkimmel

Deepwater spots are still basically unexplored opportunities.

Cy

Dan, I agree with that.  When ever you can find a spot off the bank to catch 'em, you are already ahead of a lot of other anglers.  I like Spring Lake but it has a tuna boat problem as well.  You need to get there early and be gone by 11 AM if you want a smooth ride.

Dan and Andy, Thanks for the info on Mac, I will make sure I get out there this spring.

I really like this forum!!!  I just recently ran across it and it is very cool to be able to talk about local waters and topics with you guys, instead of trying to relate to anglers around the country.

Thank You!
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

djkimmel

That's what we are all here for - but I'll be happy to have any angler from anywhere since we do all do some traveling too. No matter what, we'll always have lots of Great Lakes/Michigan information here.

Andy

If anyone needs help on Macatawa I would be more than happy to go fishin.

djkimmel

Now that is an interesting offer??? And I just happen to have a BFL on the Grand later in the summer...

Andy

Well Dan you know were Im at ;D ;D

Cy

Andy,

You have to careful with offers like that!  I may just take you up on that!  I'm sure you hate to go fishing...just like the rest of us! 

Cfruel
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net