Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:45:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Texas Rig / Carolina Rig

Started by Larry313, May 14, 2010, 04:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry313

How often do you guys use them.  I don't use a Texas rig that often but at the end of last season I really tried to start throwing the Carolina rig more often.  I had limited success.  I'm comfortable rigging and throwing them I was just curious as to how frequent all of you are throwing them. 

thedude

i throw a t-rig about 90% of the time in the summer - usually a beaver or 10" worm. used to carolina rig a tube a lot when i lived in Indiana, not so much anymore.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Cheetam

I used to throw texas rigs a lot when I was a kid.  Back then, any color worked (as long as it was purple).  I'll texas rig a beaver bait every once in a while now, but I've gotten away from it for some unexplained reason.  I like to throw a carolina rig in the summer, usually on long points.  I really like throwing creature-style baits like brush hogs when I c-rig, although I will occasionally use a tube or a big worm.
Jeff

Skulley

There are other iterations of the Texas and Carolina rigs.  I try to use whatever I can find that works.  Carolina rigs are great for deep weed line fishing during the dog days of summer.  The Texas rig is an extremely versatile rig and can be used from fishing open water to pitching and flipping into heavy cover.  I use a split shot version of the Carolina when the fishing is tough and I go to a lite or ultra lite presentation when the fish are lethargic.  The California version of doodling is a great presentation of the Carolina for tough fishing.  You really got to try what works and be open minded enough to switch when the fish aren't real active.  These rigs are great presentations and should not ever be overlooked when you absolutely need to catch a fish.

BD                   ;D 
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

zooker

for me it depends on water temp.anything below 50 i use neither. between 50-70 i texas rig. over 70 the carolina ball and chain..we have no season on bass here..

i use mostly big worms and lizards on my carolina rig.along creek channels-weed lines what the hell are those?-or on any deep stump field after i beat them heavily with a deep crank.

texas rig i use more for vertical drop bait. i use hula grubs and bush hogs or 12" worms..

zooker
live from the land of the crankbait...

djkimmel

I use Texas rig for anything where I'm pitching or flipping (usually into cover) if I'm not using a jig, or fishing into lots of weeds, especially the stringy ones. Also around lots of snaggy wood. Good for spot fishing - a hole in the weeds, a specific stump, etc.

I have reduced patience at times, but bass might not hit the fast stuff I like to throw so I will try a Carolina rig. You can cover a lot of water still. Fish it through a lot of cover for both largemouth and smallmouth bass. Vary the length. Vary the lure. Use double lures like a jig for the weight and a lizard on the back. I've caught doubles this way several times.

When bass aren't real aggressive or I can't get good numbers of reaction bites, I will often use one or the other above.

I also use both as follow up lures often as zooker points out. A good example of this is if I miss a fish by a stump with a spinnerbait / buzzbait, I'll pitch in a Texas rig X-worm or finesse worm / compact creature bait. No weight on the stick worm if close and shallow, or weight on the worm / creature if the spot is a little deeper and bass seem to be holding down in the water column.

If I'm cranking the channel, wood, outside weed line (maybe on Lake Ovid) and whack a few fast, but then the bite dies. I usually pick up a Carolina rigged bigger creature bait / lizard / worm and fish it through the same spot. I can often get more bass from the same spot that way.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Got Fish??

I like to Carolina rig when i drift and drag St Clair for smallmouth. I have most luck in deeper water. When using tubs. Sometimes it is your presentation that matters. Your just going to have to play around with it.  I use Texas rig when i fish thick mats of weeds or fast currents.