Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 07:27:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Upper Crooked Lake Sunday 4/30/06

Started by djkimmel, May 01, 2006, 01:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

More time today (although I don't usually try to get out real early this time of year). I head over to Upper Crooked Lake to see how the bass are doing.

Most of the lake it 57 to 59 plus. Very breezy with strong gusts, hard to see with that adn the overcast. (Oh and it starts raining just a few miles before I get to the lake - rains most of the time out there.)

I head into my favorite backwater and catch a solid keeper on a black stealth buzzbait tossed at some new pad. The one other boat back here leaves. I'm alone.

I keep tossing the buzzbait while I'm real shallow. I have the two most awesome leaping crashing strikes back-to-back on the lure from a hole in the weeds. The creature only barely bumps the lure, but what a crashing attack. I'm thinking... another musky or large pike, right where I left off yesterday!

Two strikes and I'm out though. I work my way around and catch a couple by tossing a wacky-rigged Xworms to any movement I see. I usually clean up this time of year on Bomber Shallow As, but no go today.

I get way in the back to where I can't go much further without getting stuck and I start tossing the buzzbait again. Within the next 20 minutes I land 6 quality fat bass on the buzzbait. Turns out bass are way in the back real shallow spawning on lilly pad roots (the bottom is muck for a long ways down).

I key more in on the buzzbait and keep picking up bass on it. About half our solid keeper. Not finding the bigger females though. I keep switching back to the crankbait and a deeper Square A to toss out into the deeper weed flat where the bigger bass usually hide. I catch one dink.

Every time I switch to the buzzbait for a few minutes, I catch a bass. Many of them just swim up and pull the lure under - not too many hard smashes.

I decide to try another bay that usually holds some feeding schools. I thought the water was down and it is. The bay seems almost a foot shallower than even last year. I move fast tossing various colored shallow cranks. I see something scare minnows and pop one about keeper size on the crankbait, but then nothing more.

Finally I move to the edge of real shallow mucky pads and find that bass are still in them despite the shallowness. I'm tossing the buzzbait again and all around the back ends, I get bit every few minutes. So I keep it up. No big ones. Not even much size, but most are 10 to 13 inches.

Some of the smaller ones do crash the buzzbait fairly hard. After catching 6 or 7 more, I decide to hit a sand bar in the main lake on the way in to the ramp. I toss crankbiats and spinnerbaits. A very big pike slams into my white-on-white spinnerbait... trying to continiue where I left off the day before.

I manage not to hook the toothy brute (7 or 8 pounds from the look of it). I call it a day on that note after catching a respectable number of solid keeper bass.

ANOTHER GREAT DAY on the water!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.