Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:03:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

no season on bass

Started by gr@ssmonkey, March 28, 2010, 01:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

I can't stress how important it is to separate personal desire and emotional feelings from the actual issues and known factors of something like this. You have to be objective and realistic.

I like to go by the Rolling Stones principle - "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you get what you need."

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dartag

Quote from: djkimmel on April 03, 2010, 02:05:54 AM
I can't stress how important it is to separate personal desire and emotional feelings from the actual issues and known factors of something like this. You have to be objective and realistic.

I like to go by the Rolling Stones principle - "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you get what you need."

you must have been a " Jedi Master "  in a previous life.   ;D ;D

3 weeks from today we can all go fishinng....

mikesmiph

Dan, you will always be "THE MAN" in my book. Very profound. Thanks for all the info. Talk to me sometimes about this MUCC board seat. I need info.

zooker

Quote from: SethV on March 30, 2010, 08:21:44 PM
Quote from: Got Fish?? on March 30, 2010, 07:57:44 PM
I really like to fish.So if having a closed season saves even one fish that I can catch,so be it.

Up here in Michigan we have such light fishing pressure compared with other parts of the country - "meat hunters" and the like are no threat to the bass fishery.  Most of the meat guys are fishing for walleye, perch, ect (trash fish   ;D  )

If fishing on Guntersville, Grand, Eufaula, ect is so good with them getting pounded year round by many more anglers per acre than we will ever see - i don't think we have any reason for a season up here.

Tournaments should start at ice out.

Seth

we have no seaon on any bass here.around here we average 100 tourny anglers per saturday per lake in the yadkin chain.not counting the 100 more just fishing or the wildcats that average around 50 boats each during the week..

now if they do open the season to year round fishing exspect the dnr to thow a slot limit on your bass.. we have them in several local lakes. the slot is 14"-16"and over 20" keep.. i loath the slot as a tourny angler. since a 5 pound bass here is around 19"...

belive it or not in december thru febuary there is not much pressure on the lakes..

zooker     
live from the land of the crankbait...

MadWags

The slot limit does have a proven track record of being an effective tool conservation tool.
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

ROI Outdoors

Quote from: MadWags on April 04, 2010, 07:12:11 AM
The slot limit does have a proven track record of being an effective tool conservation tool.

That is very true statement!  Hopefully others will absorb the MadWags Wisdom Web Gems and begin to understand the untapped potential that we all have living in the freshwater capital of the entire world.  Personally I'd like to see a slew of fisheries with a 14-16 inch harvest size slot; meaning only bass within 14-16 inches may be harvested.  There should be clear distinction between harvest and possesion because possesion is a requirement for any tournament angler - if guys can only kill 14-16 inch fish there would be an immediate positive impact on the overall size of catches on the fisheries with an overabundance of small to medium sized populations.  The interesting thing about the possesion aspect is that it is nearly impossible to enforce seeing as the Conservation Officer to Launch Site hovers around the 1 to 100 in areas like Southwest Michigan.  The only way this could be managed is by tournament/sporting anglers keeping good watch on the stringers hanging off the side of the harvesting anglers boats.  I bet the anglers on this site alone could provide an accurate median size of bass on 95% of the fisheries in Michigan that could be applied to each particular fisheries overall management strategy.  The ultimate goal would be to increase overall size thus creating an environment conducive to an abundance of lakes with trophy potential. 

Like Skeet said this weekend at DNR "Bass fishing is expensive".  Ultimately Michigan could be one of the most desirable places in the world for Anglers to visit and spend some of that money in.  The economics on this whole deal should be ample ammunition to create immediate change; lucky for us it is an election year so the opportunity to change the political climate is upon us.  This entire debacle is all politics for the sake of politicians, it would be wise for some of these politicians to take a quick second and look at Google Maps and look at what we are completely surrounded by - it just chaps me beyond Gold Bond that we do not use the one natural resource we have more than anyone else in universe to our advantage fiscally and recreationally.  Hopefully reputable people on sites like this will start the education process so there is no uphill battle to win the "majority" but rather a concensus on common sense.
Luke A. Winstrom - Founder/President
Return On Investment Outdoors
luke.winstrom@roioutdoors.com
Direct Line - (616) 366-1395
Visit us Online @ www.roioutdoors.com

macbass

ladies and gentleman just a little reminder to all...the tournament angler is a very small percentage when you compare it to everybody that fishes...not sying things cant be done and should not be done...but like somebody said a few psot ago if you only look at the tournament aspect there are  lot of politicians look at the greed factor that the tournament angler has...if we as tournament anglers were wise if it ever went to an open season...instead of every club and organization looking at the aspect of ....OH BOY WE CAN GET 4 TO 10 MORE TOURNAMENTS IN A YEAR....spread out the schedules that are already in place and relieve some of the pressure on the smaller inland lakes...and that leaves more time to fish other circuits and clubs....because they are not all on the same day...also frees up a few lakes for teh recreational fisherman and also jet skis water skiers and other recreations.... might also cut down on some bad feelings from lake front property owners and save a few accidents a year.....just an opinion to look at

IF ITS NOT A CAT ITS A DOG: BASSCAT PERFORMANCE BOATS www.thedropshotdenny.com www.hookednhunted.com

djkimmel

Slot limits, particularly for bass, are a specialty management tool for special needs, not a general population improvement tool based on studies I have read and biologists I have talked to from many different states.

Like any management tool, they are most successful when used for specific reasons under the right conditions. They do not generally provide any benefit to healthy bass populations.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

zooker

true nuff..the slot is mostly imposed to portect a certain year class of bass.. here it is imposed to bring up numbers of 2-5 pound bass.the average tourny fish size..mind you not all lakes are this way just a few,mostly the "nuke" lakes..

zooker
live from the land of the crankbait...